2016 DE / DT Benito Jones Flips from Alabama, Commits to Ole Miss

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Re: *** 2016 DE / DT Benito Jones Commits to Alabama ***

Well, that was fast. Hard to take commitments seriously these days.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
Re: 2016 DE / DT Benito Jones flips to Ole Miss

Yeah verbal commitments don't really mean too much these days and especially when the kid is highly rated from Miss. Those kids from Miss seem really tough to hang on to. Oh well, I'm sure the staff has a plan and is already working on filling those spots for DT.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN

Remember: this is a 2016 recruit. That's a long time til signing day...

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

his coach drove him to OM basically 2 or 3 weekends in a row recently....it wasnt much of a suprise

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

A solid poster on the AJC says there's talk that this may have been an Ole Miss set-up from the start. If true, what they accomplish this far out is unclear.

Last edited:

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

An solid poster on the AJC says there's talk that this may have been an Ole Miss set-up from the start. If true, what they accomplish this far out is unclear.
Not much I can say about the recruiting process but I bet 'beating Bama' for a prospect might create the perception of a certain momentum.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Welp, this was all a pretty useless exercise, it seems...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Looks like we do as some of us said last year - stay away from recruiting the state of Mississippi.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Looks like we do as some of us said last year - stay away from recruiting the state of Mississippi.
I'm sure the in state MS schools would like that outcome though I certainly see your point.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

It is getting harder and harder to keep these MS kids commitments and it is tougher to see if our ROI in MS is worth it. We have the other 2016 kid committed too and it will be interesting to see if his will stick. It's getting cut throat and it seems a lot of "let it rain" going on in MS.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm sure the in state MS schools would like that outcome though I certainly see your point.
The last non-JUCO player Bama signed from the state of Mississippi is Malcolm Faciane in 2011. It's not like Bama's been cherry picking the state's high school talent the recent years.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

A solid poster on the AJC says there's talk that this may have been an Ole Miss set-up from the start. If true, what they accomplish this far out is unclear.
Seems unlikely, to me. If it truly was, they would have played it a little longer. But, who knows.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

While I was excited to have both him and Ledbetter, we have plenty of time. Our staff has shown the ability to have contingency plans in place and executed when it was down to the wire. I feel confident they have plenty of time to figure out what to do.

As for a sleeper setup. If they really did this wouldn't you think they would have left him committed to us for a lot longer? I'm not buying it.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Of course they would, and I'm not ready to conceded a thing and I'm sure CNS won't either. On the other hand, I'm not sure it would hurt us all that much if we just stayed away. Other than Norwood, can anyone think of a Mississippi kid in the last 10 years that really panned out? Justin Woodall maybe? They've been pretty few and far between and for every Norwood or Woodall I can probably rattle off 5 or 6 Jimmy Johns.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

So, how much did Ole Mi$$ pay his coach to do that??
No kidding. I lived in Mississippi for several years, and I can tell you based on my observations that the stuff going on in Oxford (and Starkville for that matter) is really nothing new. It just all hit a new gear after Scam got away with his little caper.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.