2016 DE / DT Benito Jones Flips from Alabama, Commits to Ole Miss

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: First 2016 Commit

RTR! Great way to start the 2016 class!!

I'm thinking he's a bit like Gentry/Chapman for an interior DL guy.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

I'm having a hard time keeping up with the joneses...Christion, Cyrus, Hootie, Tyren, Walker. But I'm not complaining. Nice start to 2016.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

this is a huge pick up and it won't be felt until next year or so due to the recruiting cycle. but word has it that Jones was one of the top 3 DL that the staff coveted for the 2016 class. to get him to commit and be in the fold this early is stupendous. on top of that, he was taken away from the 2 in state schools. it hasn't always been easy to get top prospects out of Mississippi let alone have them commit early in the process ( i.e. Leo Lewis) but its becoming the norm lately. hopefully this will become the trend down the line. regarding Jones, big upside- great first step and will only get bigger possibly playing both DT or DE in our system.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Don't sell this one short because of the very early timing of his commitment, this is a big pick-up who could play a key role in our scheme. By all accounts, Jones is one of the top MS prospects for 2016, and the fact that both Ole Miss and MSU have been pursuing him heavily should make that clear. We actually offered him a couple of months back and have been hot on his trails since.

Role could be interesting here with Jones, and I think you can put him in the "fast twitch" category of front seven defenders we have been loading up on lately. He plays a lot over the center right now, and his game is all about quickness. He's a good solid 260 pounds or so, but we will want / need him to add some weight in Tuscaloosa. Rest assured -- barring some unforeseen physical development -- he's not going to be one of the hold-and-maintain guys at the point of attack, he's going to use his quickness to get upfield and try to make plays in the backfield. As of now, I figure we try to get him up near the 290 pound range. Could be a liability against quality power running games, but then again you see those twice a year these days.

Now, pertinent question: Can we keep him? Eighteen months to NSD for him, so things could obviously change, but he seems pretty firm now. Good news here is that, despite him being out of state, location actually plays in our favor here. Waynesboro is actually a tad bit closer to Tuscaloosa than Starkville, and far closer than either Oxford or Baton Rouge.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Now, pertinent question: Can we keep him? Eighteen months to NSD for him, so things could obviously change, but he seems pretty firm now. Good news here is that, despite him being out of state, location actually plays in our favor here. Waynesboro is actually a tad bit closer to Tuscaloosa than Starkville, and far closer than either Oxford or Baton Rouge.
He and his family are Bama fans. I'd be very surprised if he decommitted.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's already announced he plans to enroll early. That's 2 months less the staff has to worry about him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.