The new NC Trophy is pretty terrible.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The winner still gets this too. It's sponsored by Amway this year. The Crystal Football isn't going anywhere guys.

Just a reminder since some think the Crystal ball is gone. The crystal ball was awarded to the #1 team in the AFCA (Coaches' Poll) since 1986. The only thing changing is the Playoff has its own trophy rather than sharing with the AFCA like the BCS did.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Just a reminder since some think the Crystal ball is gone. The crystal ball was awarded to the #1 team in the AFCA (Coaches' Poll) since 1986. The only thing changing is the Playoff has its own trophy rather than sharing with the AFCA like the BCS did.
HAHAHA you think people actually read past Thread Titles? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They do still get a Crystal Football.

Are you guys trolling me at this point? What's going on?
No, they don't.

Quote from wikipediea:
"During the era of the Bowl Championship Series and its predecessors (1992-2013), the BCS did not commission its own official trophy, and so the Coaches' Trophy was presented to the winning team in an on-field ceremony after the title game.[SUP][6][/SUP] With the demise of the BCS, its successor playoff system, the College Football Playoff, commissioned a new trophy for its champion; officials wanted a new trophy that was unconnected with the previous championship system.[SUP][7][/SUP] However, coaches were "adamant" that the AFCA trophy continue to be awarded.[SUP][6][/SUP] Beginning in 2014, the trophy will be awarded to the team ranked No. 1 in the final Coaches' Poll of the season in a ceremony at that team's stadium sometime after the College Football Championship Game.[SUP][1]"[/SUP]

This translates roughly to the Coaches' Poll is going back to giving it to whoever they please. The winner might get it but it was the BCS trophy.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No, they don't.

Quote from wikipediea:
"During the era of the Bowl Championship Series and its predecessors (1992-2013), the BCS did not commission its own official trophy, and so the Coaches' Trophy was presented to the winning team in an on-field ceremony after the title game.[SUP][6][/SUP] With the demise of the BCS, its successor playoff system, the College Football Playoff, commissioned a new trophy for its champion; officials wanted a new trophy that was unconnected with the previous championship system.[SUP][7][/SUP] However, coaches were "adamant" that the AFCA trophy continue to be awarded.[SUP][6][/SUP] Beginning in 2014, the trophy will be awarded to the team ranked No. 1 in the final Coaches' Poll of the season in a ceremony at that team's stadium sometime after the College Football Championship Game.[SUP][1]"[/SUP]

This translates roughly to the Coaches' Poll is going back to giving it to whoever they please. The winner might get it but it was the BCS trophy.
Do you honestly think the Coaches are going to vote a team that doesn't win the playoff the #1 team? They'll still get the trophy.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
At least the largest thing on it isn't an advertisement. I always had an issue with the "SEARS crystal football" or the "ALLSTATE/NOKIA sugar bowl" etc.

Exception ... The Rose Bowl, sponsored by ... got it right.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
No, they don't.

Quote from wikipediea:

What RTR91 said. This isn't like it used to be. Do you really think they'd give it to someone who didn't make the 4 team playoff? And even after that, do you think they'd give it to someone who made the playoff but lost? These are the coaches we're talking about, I've never seen the coaches get together and choose an undeserving team. Surely you don't really believe what you just posted.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Do you honestly think the Coaches are going to vote a team that doesn't win the playoff the #1 team? They'll still get the trophy.
Once, the AP didn't give the winner of the BCS their championship, they gave it to a team with one less win as a matter of fact. Of course they could, now if they will is another story but the fact remains that it WAS the BCS trophy and now, it's some second fiddle to a weird torch thing with 0 history. The winner will not be presented with the crystal ball when they win the game! No one will be holding it up on the field anymore! That's reality! It's no longer the trophy...

Since some might be forgetting this, the Coaches' Trophy had to go to the winner of the BCS title game after the game. It had to. So, of course the winner always got it. Now, it will, as I pointed out, be based on the poll. The poll ain't a playoff!

What RTR91 said. This isn't like it used to be. Do you really think they'd give it to someone who didn't make the 4 team playoff? And even after that, do you think they'd give it to someone who made the playoff but lost? These are the coaches we're talking about, I've never seen the coaches get together and choose an undeserving team. Surely you don't really believe what you just posted.
I've gone over the standings year after year. You do realize some years we could have one undefeated team and a 2 loss team, right? Due to not everyone playing a conference championship, you end up with some teams with at least one less win. I've pointed out, repeatedly, that no #4 team ever has as many wins as the champion, ever, in BCS history. But, they'll still play. Do I think there will be a lot of pressure to vote the winner #1? Sure, but I think without question sometimes the winner of the playoff won't deserve the trophy and if they get it right, the crystal ball will go to another team.

I believe what I previously posted, because what I previously posted was factual. It's not the playoff trophy! Period, end of story. You can speculate all you want on what might happen, but that's like saying the Heisman trophy is for the Maxwell award. That is factually incorrect, even if the same guy often wins it.

My main point is that it's a further erosion of any tradition. They openly stated they wanted to distance themselves from the BCS. In doing so, they've distanced themselves from tradition, the polls, how things have been done for nearly 100 years. Sorry, but I'm not happy about that. The BCS went to great lengths to make the polls part of what they were doing. The playoffs are going to great lengths not to.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The AP didn't give the winner of the BCS their championship, they gave it to a team with one less win as a matter of fact. Of course they could, now if they will is another story but the fact remains that it WAS the BCS trophy and now, it's some second fiddle to a weird torch thing with 0 history. The simple fact is that the winner will not be presented with the crystal ball when they win the game! That's reality! It's no longer the trophy...

I've gone over the standings year after year. You do realize some years we could have one undefeated team and a 2 loss team, right? Due to not everyone playing a conference championship, you end up with some teams with one less win. I've pointed out, repeatedly, that no #4 team ever has as many wins as the champion, ever. But, they'll still play. Do I think there will be a lot of pressure to vote the winner #1? Sure, but I think without question sometimes the winner of the playoff won't deserve the trophy and if they get it right, the crystal ball will go to another team.

I believe what I previously posted, because what I just posted was a fact. It's not the playoff trophy! Period, end of story. You can speculate all you want on what might happen, but that's like saying the Heisman trophy is for the Maxwell award. That is factually incorrect, even if the same guy often wins it.
Have you ever admitted you were wrong?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Have you ever admitted you were wrong?
Yes, and to be more specific on this forum. I sometimes get facts wrong, and occasionally change my opinion of something as well.

If you want one glaring example, I actually wanted Spurrier over Saban. But, I'm also inherently honesty. If I'm lied to, or given false information that's one thing, but what I stated was based on my knowledge and understanding of the situation and I see no choice but to believe the information I've been given.

Having said that, my primary concern is with the complete disregard for history/tradition and the deliberate removal of the Coaches' Poll from all facets of the playoff.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.