SEC Media Days Open Thread: Day One

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Might as well get one of these going.

Malzahn is speaking now, with some relatively big news at that: Sophomore DE Carl Lawson had ACL surgery late this spring, and they "hope" to have him back late in the year. Been a lot of speculation for a long time about Lawson having some form of knee surgery, but this is a good bit more serious than most believed.

That's a fairly big blow to that defense. I would expect Lawson's recovery timeline is quite similar to Eddie Jackson's.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Huge blow to a defense that's not very good at all.
Absolutely, I think this has to be considered the biggest off-season injury in the SEC (perhaps even the country) Losing Ford and Lawson together will really hurt their edge pass rush, though I imagine the interior DL will still be quite stout.

No doubt it's a big blow to Auburn and their defense may be in for a world of hurt. Good news for them, I guess, is that it's not like you need to play much defense in this day and age anyway. Realistically, they were always going to be a team that won by outscoring opponents.

For that defense to be a solid unit this season, they will need Adams, Wright, and Whitaker to really control things from the inside out of that DL, and they will probably need Kris Frost to finally live up to his recruiting billing.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Lawson is probably the Barn's best defensive player. The Barn possibly w/o Marshall and Lawson will make the opener interesting.

Absolutely, I think this has to be considered the biggest off-season injury in the SEC (perhaps even the country) Losing Ford and Lawson together will really hurt their pass rush, though I imagine the interior DL will still be quite stout.

No doubt it's a big blow to Auburn and their defense may be in for a world of hurt. Good news for them, I guess, is that it's not like you need to play much defense in this day and age anyway. Realistically, they were always going to be a team that won by outscoring opponents.
No doubt, but if a team figures them out, or they don't get lucky like they've been in the not too distant past, it's not going to look good for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Lawson is probably the Barn's best defensive player. The Barn possibly w/o Marshall and Lawson will make the opener interesting.
Even without Marshall and Mincy -- both of whom I figure will play -- that's still probably an easy win for Auburn. Arkansas is just absurdly bad at this point, and they literally cannot do a single thing well. They are just below average in every phase of the game, so Auburn would have to gift them the night to really put the end result in danger.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
No doubt, but if a team figures them out, or they don't get lucky like they've been in the not too distant past, it's not going to look good for them.
I agree, but the ability to somehow fall rear end-backwards into a 6-0 or 7-0 record in games decided by a possession or less -- something Auburn seems to be able to do frequently -- will cover up a lot of weaknesses for you. Given their recent run, I certainly wouldn't be putting money against their luck.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Even without Marshall and Mincy -- both of whom I figure will play -- that's still probably an easy win for Auburn. Arkansas is just absurdly bad at this point, and they literally cannot do a single thing well. They are just below average in every phase of the game, so Auburn would have to gift them the night to really put the end result in danger.
I agree Ark is not a good team but if they pound the ball like Bilemia (sp?) has in the past that could give the Barn trouble plus Ark has always been a thorn in the Barn's side.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I agree Ark is not a good team but if they pound the ball like Bilemia (sp?) has in the past that could give the Barn trouble plus Ark has always been a thorn in the Barn's side.
Well, that's the problem. The Auburn run defense is pretty solid given their strength and depth along the defensive interior. Admittedly, Auburn could be in trouble early with no Mincy and a lack of an edge pass rush, but of course the Arkansas passing game is non-existent, so they won't be able to exploit that. It will be (relative) strength on strength and weakness on weakness.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Glad to see the AU beat writers kept their word to their sources to not let the Carl Lawson news out for two months. Real dedication.

I agree, but the ability to somehow fall rear end-backwards into a 6-0 or 7-0 record in games decided by a possession or less -- something Auburn seems to be able to do frequently -- will cover up a lot of weaknesses for you. Given their recent run, I certainly wouldn't be putting money against their luck.
Yeah, I wouldn't either.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I heard months ago, via internet rumer mill, that Lawson had ACL surgery. Never was confirmed, but it was common knowledge/rumor.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I heard months ago, via internet rumer mill, that Lawson had ACL surgery. Never was confirmed, but it was common knowledge/rumor.
When Gus confirmed it, plenty of folks (fans and media) on Twitter were discussing how this was kept silent for two months.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Glad to see the AU beat writers kept their word to their sources to not let the Carl Lawson news out for two months. Real dedication.
Remember this: There is no such thing as a sports "journalist." They are all just a bunch of fanboys who turned a recreational interest into sports into a 9:00-5:00 job, and most of them are hardcore homers at that...

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That is a huge blow but their defense was going to suck this year no matter what. Nobody will ever mistake Gus for Mike Ditka. Yeah that sweater he wore during the BCSNCG and the A Day isn't fooling anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.