ATH Demetris Robertson Updates (Former 'Bama Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Rest assured that the coaches have been in touch with him. He knows we want him and could have his masters degree from an awesome program if he stays 4 years here. He would go to the league a couple of years and retire early with a few million in the bank. I dunno...we're a pretty attractive choice even if he is academically motivated.
From what I understand he is waiting on his score to see if he can even enroll at Stanford and make visiting worthwhile, although it doesn't mean he will definitely go to Stanford. I commend the kid for that and not being pressured to do something before he is ready. Good to know Stanford, ND and Ga Tech is in play along with Bama instead of the barn and Ole Colonel Reb! Smart kid without a doubt!! ;)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The only thing keeping us in, I believe, is that DR appears to have a tight relationship with our head coach. If he really wants to come, our school would have no problem setting up a curriculum that would push him to his limits, even if the diplomas of a couple of his other candidates carry more cache.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The only thing keeping us in, I believe, is that DR appears to have a tight relationship with our head coach. If he really wants to come, our school would have no problem setting up a curriculum that would push him to his limits, even if the diplomas of a couple of his other candidates carry more cache.
Two of the most incompetent people that I have worked with had degrees from Harvard. Give me a someone with a degree from Bama!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think it's funny that high school kids put such a high value on where their degree is from. I interface with a lot of folks in the aerospace and technology industries and there are a good portion of folks who work for those companies who have degrees from questionable institutions. They work side by side with people who have degrees from well known institutions..

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
That television show...Suits, only hires from Harvard (of course one of the main lawyer characters didn't go to law school).....how many real law firms can actually afford to only hire Harvard law students---that is why there is so many law schools and so many lawyers.

Just like the old Doctor joke.....What do they call the guy that was last in his class at Law (medical) school? Lawyer (Doctor)....you just hope yours was not last in their class because the diploma does not say 150th in his class out of 150......

Is the law that is taught at Harvard that much different than any other school? What about Math...is there a different math being taught at Harvard? Are there different business tactics being taught at Harvard, than any other Business school?

Its all about perception, money and politics........nothing else. I had the grades to get into Harvard, but I didn't have the name, money or the political requirements to get into Harvard.......well I didn't try either, because one I didn't want to go to an Ivy League school, and I knew I didn't have the family money, politics or whatever else besides grades to get in.

Regardless of all of that, I am proud of my degrees from the University of Alabama.

DRob....would not care to play football at Harvard.......but Stanford is a nice place, decent football program and has that school reputation...so I cant blame him if that is what he wants. But the U of A was good to me.......

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Two of the most incompetent people that I have worked with had degrees from Harvard. Give me a someone with a degree from Bama!
I remember working with one guy who had two masters degrees from ND. We called him an educated idiot as he could not apply anything he had learned apparently.

mikelove

Scout Team
Oct 4, 2014
Same here at my work place with GT engineers they are idiots

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Ivy League degrees are more a result of money and kids who are driven by their parents to achieve. They do open doors...but they do not guarantee success. We must admit that the ceiling (top students) and the floor (bottom students) are both higher at Harvard...but the floor is usually a lot higher in relationship to less ranked schools.

That being said...most success is due to persistence, initiative and being in the right place.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Ivy League degrees are more a result of money and kids who are driven by their parents to achieve. They do open doors...but they do not guarantee success. We must admit that the ceiling (top students) and the floor (bottom students) are both higher at Harvard...but the floor is usually a lot higher in relationship to less ranked schools.

That being said...most success is due to persistence, initiative and being in the right place.
Padreuf --

I've always felt that the value of the Ivy League degree was determined at day one -- the admissions process. As in, the folks who actually attended were already branded for success by the efforts that got them admitted in the first place.

Have there been any studies of how folks who were admitted to Ivy League, but for whatever reason didn't actually attend, did in life? What about those who attended for 2 or more years, but ended up getting a degree elsewhere?

In other words, have any studies isolated and quantified the effect of the education itself vs. the effect of being highly talented and driven way before hitting the ivied gates?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I'm not sure what the fella plans to study in school but if he is considering Stanford and Georgia Tech those are two of the highest ranked in engineering. He would be wise to go to either over Alabama if he is serious about engineering. If he is more serious about football than academics you would think Stanford and Alabama would be a priority over GT.
Well, my son graduated from BAMA in 2011 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He had to put in the study time, but walked right out of school into a job and is doing quite well. I think BAMA has a pretty good engineering program. Krymsonman

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Padreuf --

I've always felt that the value of the Ivy League degree was determined at day one -- the admissions process. As in, the folks who actually attended were already branded for success by the efforts that got them admitted in the first place.

Have there been any studies of how folks who were admitted to Ivy League, but for whatever reason didn't actually attend, did in life? What about those who attended for 2 or more years, but ended up getting a degree elsewhere?

In other words, have any studies isolated and quantified the effect of the education itself vs. the effect of being highly talented and driven way before hitting the ivied gates?
The only study I have ever seen tracked 10 Harvard MBA's for 10 years. 4 were unqualified successes, 4 were unqualified failures, and the book was still out on the other 2. I think it is what you do with opportunities as much as anything else. That being said, Ivy League opens those initial doors a lot easier.

A former Dean of UA's Business school said that their job was harder than the Ivy League for they often had to take kids who were educationally deficient and bring them up to snuff before they could move on to the more difficult areas. I understand that completely...and applaud that as well.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Well, my son graduated from BAMA in 2011 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He had to put in the study time, but walked right out of school into a job and is doing quite well. I think BAMA has a pretty good engineering program. Krymsonman
I'm currently as some of you on here know applying to Ivy League Institutions and places like Stanford. I went to UA and can go back to UA. (They are my back up school as things stand right now ) No one is or has said Alabama doesn't have great majors or awesome Schools. Heres the thing though Alabama is known all over the world in Football ,but not in all of their majors or schools, but Ivy League's Schools are known every where. A Degree from Stanford or an Ivy League institution gets you in any door. Again we have excellent schools and majors.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I'm currently as some of you on here know am applying to Ivy League Institutions and place like Stanford. I went to UA and can go back to UA. (They are my back up school as things stand right now ) No one is or has said Alabama doesn't have great majors or awesome Schools. Heres the thing though Alabama is known all over the world in Football ,but not in all of their majors or schools, but Ivy League's Schools are known every where. A Degree from Stanford or an Ivy League institution gets you in any door. Again we have excellent schools and majors.
You are correct...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A Degree from Stanford or an Ivy League institution gets you in any door.
That's funny, I could have sworn I've read multiple stories on people with Ivy League degrees doing menial jobs. "Oh you have a liberal arts degree? Good, we need someone to pull the fries out of the grease".

I would caution anyone against leaning on where they got their degree from and focus more on having real professional goals. People who don't have an Ivy League degree might indeed think it's a golden ticket, but there are more important professional qualifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.