ATH Demetris Robertson Updates (Former 'Bama Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
When did this become a "bash the Ivy League" thread? That's pretty sad...
I'm not sure who else you could be directing this at, but I am not bashing the Ivy League (which I didn't bring up in this thread) or Stanford. I'm not sure how to adequately respond without going non-sports, but it is relevant since the context is the possibility of a player going to another college purely because of the prestige of that particular institution. I've read stories about unemployed Ivy League graduates, who seemed to think just going there was going to lead to success in life. It's a valid point to make. Greg McElroy was a Rhodes Scholarship finalist, if anyone think a future employer is going to look at his academic prowess and sneer because he didn't go to an Ivy League school, they are mistaken. How well he performed matters more than where he did it.

The idea that just going to a particular school automatically imparts more financial success is largely a false perception, and I demonstrated that earlier. Being accepted, being smart enough to get into a top college does matter, but anyone who thinks merely attending an Ivy League school is a guarantee for success (something I've seen hinted at in this thread, despite studies to the contrary) probably hasn't looked at things closely enough. The most important thing any student can possibly do, is focus on their future, their future profession, any future debt, etc... and then choose their school on the basis of what best serves those goals. It never should be merely about attending the most prestigious institute possible.

As long as the college has the right classes available to a student, they can easily become a success in that field, the degree only gets their foot in the door. No matter where Robertson goes to, if he applies himself academically and chooses a good degree he will have plenty of opportunity for financial success in life. There is simply no evidence at all that he would have greater professional success merely because he chose Stanford over Alabama and that is a valid consideration he should take into account. I guess I'll have to leave it at that, but that's not bashing, that's just explaining reality. I applaud anyone for being accepted into an Ivy League school or Stanford, nothing I said was an attempt to disparage that accomplishment.

Last edited:

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Anything new on Demetris Robertson`s recruitment?
No, but I think we're all in agreement he should head north.... to North Dakota State University! Sure, it may not be as quote-unquote-prestigious as Stanford, but if he follows the right curriculum and truly has a sharp intellect, then the degrees are literally the same (actually, the NDSU degree might be better; I've heard some Stanford grads have menial outcomes -- this doesn't happen at NDSU or the other schools Demetris is considering). And, as we know, they have football! Sure, it's not as "prestigious" a program as the FBS supposed-bigwigs like Alabama, but some guys in Alabama's program don't have great football outcomes and some guys at NDSU do. If he truly has the talent, he'll surely make it -- the NFL, like employers more generally, never misses on talent and gives perfectly equal weight to guys from all schools! To the extent we're wrong about this perfect equality, he can just graduate as valedictorian/run a 4.1 forty/score in the 99th percentile on any applicable standardized tests/win every FBS sport award there is/etc. to overcome that little obstacle. It's all just a matter of capability.

And most importantly, I have confirmed that they have girls at NDSU. Until recently, I thought North Dakota was an uninhabited no-man's land that acted as a buffer between our beloved Mt. Rushmore and the Canadians, but, it turns out, people actually live there. Girls, even.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Yep, Bama is almost certainly fourth in line for DR......behind Stanford, Notre Dame, and Georgia in that order.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Just out of curiosity......anything?
Still no test score, still no word. What I do know is that he was talking about taking OV's to UA and UGA in the meantime, and never did.

ND is still playing the waiting game with him. If he can't get in to Stanford, I fully expect him to end up there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Still no test score, still no word. What I do know is that he was talking about taking OV's to UA and UGA in the meantime, and never did.

ND is still playing the waiting game with him. If he can't get in to Stanford, I fully expect him to end up there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Here is a 247 article showing comments from ND, UGA and Bama recruiting analyst. What Matt says is most likely what is going to happen with UGA and Bama on the outside at this time.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Articl...iting-update-Notre-Dame-Georgia-Bama-43803300

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Here is a 247 article showing comments from ND, UGA and Bama recruiting analyst. What Matt says is most likely what is going to happen with UGA and Bama on the outside at this time.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Articl...iting-update-Notre-Dame-Georgia-Bama-43803300
Thanks for the link! We'll see but I am not sure we are as far out of it as many think. If he doesn't get the grade I believe his mindset will change dramatically. Who wouldn't want to play for the best football coach in the country and head to the league with a masters degree and potential first round draft money.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
A not-so-great for us thought: If the NFL doesn't work out, there are so many more business opportunities in Atlanta that in any part of Alabama, heck, maybe than in all of Alabama . . . That combined with the connections network for former Dawgs may be a strong enticement to UofGA for Robertson.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A not-so-great for us thought: If the NFL doesn't work out, there are so many more business opportunities in Atlanta that in any part of Alabama, heck, maybe than in all of Alabama . . . That combined with the connections network for former Dawgs may be a strong enticement to UofGA for Robertson.
If you were talking about Georgia Tech that would make more sense, but it's not like Tuscaloosa is a thousand miles away and Athens is next door to Atlanta. There's a reason why I made some earlier comments (though I don't think he's going to Alabama) and that was because people kept imagining great professional benefits of going to other schools. A: That's just kind of weird coming from Alabama fans and B: To reiterate, that whole great professional success because of a prestigious school thing is largely smoke and mirrors.

If he goes to Georgia, Alabama, or Stanford, what will matter most in terms of professional life outside of football is the degree he chooses and how well he applies himself academically. The type of place that would hire someone on the basis of where they graduated from probably isn't a good career choice. Good employers really do not care that much where someone graduated from providing they learned that they needed to learn. That aside, we are talking about a 5 star athlete here and Alabama does have a tremendous track record of putting those types of guys into the NFL (Nick Saban's support structure for an athlete is arguably more hands on, more important, and more productive than what even prestigious universities have in place on the academic side). It is a very easy case to make that Alabama would provide him both with plenty of opportunity for a professional career in the NFL, as well as give him the tools he needs to succeed professionally outside of football. Never in my life have I heard a story about wanting to hire someone but not doing so because they "only" graduated from the University of Alabama.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.