ATH Demetris Robertson Updates (Former 'Bama Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I would tell 9/10 recruits to go to UA over any other school. If you have the desire to go to the #1 school in the country (It passed MIT this past year per Business Insider ) which is also a top 10 football school, then do it. If you don't, then fine. Alabama is one of the best schools in the country.

Trying to downgrade a great school to sell your own is something the Barners do, not something I'm willing to do.
Condi approves this message. (But not Pat Dye.)

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
http://www.businessinsider.com/universities-with-most-billionaire-undergraduate-alumni-2014-9

https://www.timeshighereducation.co...es-for-producing-millionaires/2008749.article

Don't tell me education is negligible. It's just not true. If that's the case, playing football at Alabama is negligible because at the end of this past season Stanford had 28 guys on active NFL rosters and Alabama had 36.

I would tell 9/10 recruits to go to UA over any other school. If you have the desire to go to the #1 school in the country (It passed MIT this past year per Business Insider ) which is also a top 10 football school, then do it. If you don't, then fine. Alabama is one of the best schools in the country.

Trying to downgrade a great school to sell your own is something the Barners do, not something I'm willing to do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I don't think that's what he's doing at all. Where has he trashed Stanford?

The truth is that this isn't the 1960's or even the 1990's. Technology has increasingly helped close the gap among all schools when it comes to an undergraduate degree. There's nothing you will learn at Stanford that you can't learn at Akron or Bowling Green or even Mississippi State. Math is math, science is science, and history isn't going anywhere.

The difference when it comes to getting an education is what you do as a post-grad. Once you start on a specialized education course-load - be it on the way to a Masters or a Doctorate - the difference in Stanford and South Alabama becomes MUCH more obvious.

But no, as a football player, with a football players work load? A guy who's more than likely going pro after 3 seasons anyway? This argument is almost irrelevant. A bachelors degree barely gets your foot in the door anymore, even one from an Ivy League School. He should go where he feels comfortable, wherever that may be.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I assume you are talking to me, but I never said education is negligible. I said the difference between one accredited university with adequate resources and another offering the same courses is negligible.

You kind of made my point though. That list you provided? It has Stanford, which is the subject of discussion here with 14 billionaires. Texas has 10. Now, Stanford is #4 on academic rankings according to US News and World Report. Texas is 52. Oh, but that must be just oil money right? They all pulled a Beverly Hillbillies. What about USC though? They have 16 and are ranked 23. Clearly there's more to becoming wealthy than just going to the most prestigious institution.

What is going on? Places like Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Penn (which houses Wharton) attract the best and brightest America has to offer. Do they do a good job once they get them? Sure, but that isn't my point. My point was the best and brightest in America will be able to succeed as long as they make wise and thoughtful choices, not merely because they choose to go one of those schools. The best and brightest can be successful going to Michigan, USC or apparently the University of Mumbai.

I do without a doubt think that those aforementioned universities can offer things that are extremely helpful to the future success of their students. It's just not one size fits all. Prestige alone does not make one university a better fit than another.

IMHO, the only scenario that favors Stanford, for an athlete, is one in which you are without professional prospects, but talented enough to leverage a sport into free admission to an academically elite school, and still only if you feel that you can thrive academically.
Very thoughtful post, and really that's all I'm asking people to do. Just think about it in depth. It's not all as simple as just go to Alabama if you're good at football and just go to Princeton if you're smart.

Anyway, as to this particular point, I think you're spot on. If someone can use their athletic ability to gain admittance to a prestigious college they wish to attend, and that truly is their goal good for them. But, it should not be to the detriment of their professional career or what they truly want. People work harder for what they want and work best when they are comfortable. Truth is some people are going to be more comfortable at Stanford than Alabama and vice versa. Choosing a college is a complicated choice but I do hope everyone weighs all the factors when those choices are made. That's all I've ever been trying to get at here. Don't buy shoes just because the name on them, don't buy a car just because of the brand, and don't go to a college just because it's ranked high. Choose what's best for you after you have weighed all the factors.

WPtider

1st Team
Jan 10, 2006
DC
The simple truth is his best chance at being a millionaire is football and his best chance at being a millionaire in football is Alabama. It is a shame that he's being pushed to make what is arguably not the best professional choice. Sometimes advice even with the best of intentions is still bad advice.

The sad thing is he wants to play football for Alabama. He's top 50 coming out of high school at something, that's way more special than getting into Stanford. Some advice he's getting, even from here is misguided. Yes, he should get a college degree from a respectable university, in a field that makes sense in terms of a career. Absolutely, but he should be focused on what he's best at. After he has a few million dollars he won't have to worry about resume snobs when he embarks on a different professional career.
That's not true. His best chance at being a millionaire if he is bright enough to get into a Stanford or ND is to study hard and go to med school and sub specialize after residency. The average NFL career is probably around 2 yrs at the league minimum. He could make the league minimum as a successful attorney, businessman or physician for 30 yrs. Alabama has a lot to offer as a school and a program but the the kid wants to go to Stanford. Its a beautiful campus and great education. No need to minimize Stanford to build up Alabama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That's not true.
An average NFL career would result in about 6.27 million dollars within a little over 3 years. Of course no one would have that sort of career but that's basically what someone is going to make on average by making it to the NFL. Making even what Wharton students average coming out of school would require decades to become a millionaire. I reiterate, his best chance (not his only chance) at being a millionaire is in football.
the kid wants to go to Stanford.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

WPtider

1st Team
Jan 10, 2006
DC
The great thing about starting out with an MBA is that your salary improves and you have a lot less chance of going broke than a football player or having brain damage for that matter. Your argument seems to miss the fact that the vast majority of millionaires never made a dime playing a sport. (In a leagues where there is a large discrepancy in pay ranges its probably better to look at the median salary 770k /yr not the mean 1.9 mil/yr). The kid seems to want to get an education that will open doors for him if football doesn't work out and thinks that Stanford offers him that. It's not like he's choosing Ms State because he thinks the academics are better. No harm no foul.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
http://www.businessinsider.com/universities-with-most-billionaire-undergraduate-alumni-2014-9

https://www.timeshighereducation.co...es-for-producing-millionaires/2008749.article

Don't tell me education is negligible. It's just not true. If that's the case, playing football at Alabama is negligible because at the end of this past season Stanford had 28 guys on active NFL rosters and Alabama had 36.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Without trashing or downgrading Stanford, I can point to statistical evidence that the earning potential Stanford or any "elite" school has less to do with what is taught at that school and more to do with the raw material (brain power and ambition) of the students attending. The study found that kids who had the grades and scores to apply to elite schools, but attended somewhere else, had essentially the same long term earnings. even though it wouldn't apply to this kid since he'd probably get a full ride, the ones going the non-ivy league route probably graduate with a lot less debt also

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-college-solution/2011/03/01/the-ivy-league-earnings-myth

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Leaving this locked until more news about Robertson comes out. Will say Rivals and 247 are reporting he's expected on campus tonight. We'll see if that actually happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.