Your Mount Rushmore - The Crimson Tide Version

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
The Patterson announcement our golf group talking about her place in UA History. So, who would you have on The Bama Rushmore?

Has to be Bryant and Saban, imo, I think Patterson is pretty much a no-brainer as well. But the 4th - maybe Mitch Gaspard?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree with 1-3. Number four is extremely difficult. I can't go with Stallings just yet, although I think he did a great job, but one national title and one SEC title doesn't exactly rock my world as far as a, Mount Rushmore".
I wish I knew more about the Thomas's, Drew's, and the old time football coaches.
I just have a feeling that one of those old time coaches may be more deserving than Gene.
sip

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I give him great credit for hiring Saban, but his track record before that was pretty dismal overall.
He did do a great job helping to develop the women's softball program, but, overall, I can't pull the trigger.
Well I base it off of all of the fundraising and the faculties being built during the bad times in the early-mid 00's. Also you could argue that was the hire of the century so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well I base it off of all of the fundraising and the faculties being built during the bad times in the early-mid 00's. Also you could argue that was the hire of the century so far.

There's no doubt about that Bama, but theres' also Mike Shula, Franchione, Mike Price, etc. which were total blunders. He may indeed have overcome the bad decisions with the great ones, but I can't list him as one of the four all time greats. That fourth one is tough. I think three of them are obvious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It would be easier to come up with four Alabama coaches you'd like to throw OFF of Mount Rushmore.

Okay, so Franchione is the runaway winner (if you'll pardon the pun). In fact, I'd throw him off four different times (once north, once south, etc)

And we can't put Bill Curry on Mt Rushmore because someone might hit him at that high angle with a brick.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I think Mal must be viewed as Player, Coach, and AD. He gave what, 50 years or more of service to The University? Shula was no Saban - but who better was going to take the job at that time?

I think Wallace Wade would be the next Football Coach in line.

Also, how bout Dr. Denny?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
There's no doubt about that Bama, but theres' also Mike Shula, Franchione, Mike Price, etc. which were total blunders. He may indeed have overcome the bad decisions with the great ones, but I can't list him as one of the four all time greats. That fourth one is tough. I think three of them are obvious.
You'll have to discredit Mike Shula because he had to fire Mike Price and find a replacement fast. Fran could have done well had he stayed though maybe not like CNS.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think Mal must be viewed as Player, Coach, and AD. He gave what, 50 years or more of service to The University? Shula was no Saban - but who better was going to take the job at that time?

I think Wallace Wade would be the next Football Coach in line.

Also, how bout Dr. Denny?
Good point I forgot about Denny.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Wait, GP...are you suggesting that there's history from, like, before I was even born? And said history might be important? I'll need a minute to get my mind around this. ;)

Great list, btw.
That's all I'm saying basically. There's so much history, way before now. How can anyone make a truly objective opinion? There's this Don Hutson guy, for instance.
I think you'd have to break it down into, "Mountain by Category".
Very tough indeed.
sip

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
That's all I'm saying basically. There's so much history, way before now. How can anyone make a truly objective opinion? There's this Don Hutson guy, for instance.
I think you'd have to break it down into, "Mountain by Category".
Very tough indeed.
sip
I think Rushmore translates to greatness and contribution - unless you are the President who commissioned it :cool: (Teddy is one of my favorite Presidents btw)

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I love Wimp - but I think he has to forfeit his place in the discussion because of the way he ended his career :(

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.