SEC Pre(diction) Season: Arkansas

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Gonna start a series of threads. One per day. Predicting the season for SEC teams. Starting out with Arkansas.

Why they'll be good: they won't
Why they'll be bad: uphill battle with talent level; the contrast in players needed from Petrino to Belima are like night & day. TOUGH schedule.

Predicted schedule

@ Auburn - L
vs Nichols St - W
@ Texas Tech - L
vs NIU - W
vs TAMU - W
vs Bama - L
vs UGA - L
vs UAB - W
@ Ms St - L
vs LSU - L
vs Ole Miss - L
@ Mizzou - L

Summary: I like the two top RBs on their roster. I think either of them would be in contention to start for any team in the country. I think, however, that whatever success they have this season will hinge on the maturation of their QB Brandon Allen. I believe they will compete fiercely in many of their games. The disparity in talent level right now will just be too much to overcome on a weekly basis. This will be another tough season but hopefully his players won't quit on him like they did John L Smith two seasons ago.

Would love to hear you all's thoughts.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Suprised you pick them to win against TAMU.

But looks about right to me.

One thing for sure, I'll be a big Hog fan on the first Saturday of the season!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I have no issue with this. The maturity of the team will be a huge factor especially in later of the season. Their defense isn't there yet so I expect them to struggle a lot but be improved overall.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
@ Auburn - L
vs Nichols St - W
@ Texas Tech - L
vs NIU - W
vs TAMU - W
vs Bama - L
vs UGA - W
vs UAB - W
@ Ms St - L
vs LSU - W
vs Ole Miss - L
@ Mizzou - W

7-5 (4-4)

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
With regards to why I have them beating TAMU:
What does Arkansas do very well? Run the football.
What does TAMU do horribly? Defend the run.

TAMU actually out gained them on the ground last season, but they moved the ball effectively on the ground between the 20s, and then got pass happy.

They only lost by 12 and this was with 3 first round draft picks on TAMU's offense.

I think Arkansas will pound away at them on the ground and TAMU will take a couple of lumps this season with this being one of them

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Unless the defense makes some pretty significant strides forward, Arkansas isn't going to make much progress just because that alone removes so much of the impact of their running game. A good, strong, running game doesn't do you much good when your defense gives up 28+ every Saturday, because you're never going to win shootouts.

Kind of figure Arkansas rebounds a bit this year, but I'm not sure the record will necessarily show it. Picking us Texas Tech on the OOC schedule and UGA and Mizzou out of the East is going to make things very difficult for them. I'm sure they will get a couple of more wins at least, but realistically the only sure-fire wins on the schedule for them right now are UAB, Nichols and NIU. Anything above five wins would come as a real surprise to me.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
In the talent department, they will be outclassed by every single SEC team they play. I think the best case scenario for them is six wins, 3-4 OOC, and 2-3 in the SEC (TA&M, Miss St, and maybe Mizzou). Worst case scenario they go winless in the SEC--it's very possible. The likely outcome is they'll win four, beating one SEC team.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
With regards to why I have them beating TAMU:
What does Arkansas do very well? Run the football.
What does TAMU do horribly? Defend the run.

TAMU actually out gained them on the ground last season, but they moved the ball effectively on the ground between the 20s, and then got pass happy.

They only lost by 12 and this was with 3 first round draft picks on TAMU's offense.

I think Arkansas will pound away at them on the ground and TAMU will take a couple of lumps this season with this being one of them
atm will be glad MO came to the SEC with them. MO will be their only SEC win.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I really wonder if BB can get it done at ARkansas. He's trying to do what Gene Chizik did at Auburn and turn around a group that was recruited for hurry up and pass happiness into a slow, churning ground game.

I really doubt the experiment will work and that in a couple of years Arkansas will be looking for the next (clean version) of Bobby Petrino, which is Gus Malzahn.

Would he go back home if he got the "hog call?"

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
7-5 and the BBVA Compass Bowl looks about right for them. At what point is Bielema going to say "this was a BAD idea. Any opening in the B1G?".

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Well they could sneak up on an SEC opponent and A&M is as good as anyone I guess.

I just don't think Beilema and the hogs will be succesful with his style of play in the long run in the division they are in.

The hogs are never going to out recruit the Alabama's, the Aubrun's, the LSU's, the A&M's and recently the Ole Miss' in the western division.

I'd say he's done after the 2015 season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
@ Auburn - L
vs Nichols St -W
@ Texas Tech -L
vs NIU - W
vs TAMU -W
vs Bama - L
vs UGA - L
vs UAB - W
@ Ms St -L
vs LSU - L
vs Ole Miss -L
@ Mizzou - L

I'm going with 4-8. They have no QB which is a huge strike against them. They are still trying to play smash mouth football with spread guys. That's another strike against them. Unless their defense shocks the world and keeps them in a lot of games this could be an UGLY season for the hogs.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Swap the A&M for MSU game and I'd predict the same record. A&M will get a quick TD or two and Arky will be forced to throw some and they probably will be the worst pass efficiency team in the SEC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Arkansas has a tough schedule and they're still in a rebuild. I think they'll give Auburn a good fight in their opener. The TTU game is their launching point for a bowl bid. They drop that one and I struggle to see where they make up ground for 6 wins with a tough sledding from that point forward. They really only have two gimmes all season...everything else is a fight for them.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
I agree with rgw in that being the first game, they'll give the barn all they can handle and may sneak out a win.
They've got a brutal schedule, but I like them to beat TAMU and MIZZU. MO is only returning 8 starters, and I don't believe their depth was that good last year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.