Found this video. Take a look at Bryant Denny in 1985. Wow what a difference

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Which is easier to believe?

That that is BDS or the Ray Perkins actually let former football players come back and scrimmage the '85 team in the spring game?

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I'm so old that I was in attendance at the game as a grad student. ;) Fun stuff! I still vividly recall that 1st play when the Biscuit dropped Pres. Thomas.

IIRC (for you youngsters), BDS seated in the mid-60K range of folks back then.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm so old that I was in attendance at the game as a grad student. ;) Fun stuff! I still vividly recall that 1st play when the Biscuit dropped Pres. Thomas.

IIRC (for you youngsters), BDS seated in the mid-60K range of folks back then.
I believe it was right on 60,000 with no lights at the time.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
1985 was the first season that I got to go to Bama games. The first ever game I attended was the Bama-aTm game at Legion Field. The very next week, I went to Bryant Denny Stadium for the first time and saw us defeat Cincinnati 45-10.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
1985 was the first season that I got to go to Bama games. The first ever game I attended was the Bama-aTm game at Legion Field. The very next week, I went to Bryant Denny Stadium for the first time and saw us defeat Cincinnati 45-10.
You mean Denny stadium I'm sure. ;)

My first game was in 1986 against Temple. I remember we sat very near the top of the bowl on the 40 yard line.

When did the astroturf get replaced?

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I was there. not many people came to the spring games back then so it was a gimmick to get people to come watch. The older guys made spot appearances but the bulk of the play was from recent alumni. I seem to remember Scott Hunter surprised me with the arm he still had. Bryant Denny was a laid back, almost high school atmosphere back then. As a student I more or less walked in 5 minutes before kickoff. The thought seems crazy now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You mean Denny stadium I'm sure. ;)

My first game was in 1986 against Temple. I remember we sat very near the top of the bowl on the 40 yard line.

When did the astroturf get replaced?
Actually the stadium was re-named Bryant-Denny in 1975 while Coach Bryant was still coaching.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Can't see the video here at work. :frown:

I wasn't at that A-Day game. I was at the one in '87, I think, when it was at Legion Field. Maybe cost a dollar; should still have the ticket stub at home.
I did attend two Football Camps at Bama, one under Perkins and one under Curry, so I can say I played at Bryant-Denny. ;)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Same year for me as well, but my first game in BDS was the home opener against Vanderbilt. I also attended the preceding game against Ohio State, but of course, that game was in Giants Stadium. Good times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.