New Book Claims Texas Offered Coach Saban $100 Million

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I still want Earle's perspective on all this. Did anything even close to this "reported" offer come from Texas, and if so, what kept CNS here? I very well remember that Earl had some info pertaining to Alabama taking care of some bad investments etc. So at the end of the day what did UA really pay Coach Saban? If Texas really offered a $10-15 Million bonus and then a $100 million contract and "all" UA did was offer $7 million per year something makes no sense at all. Either the story is bogus, or UA ponied up a whole lot more than is officially stated, or Coach Saban just won the most loyal coach in history award by taking a $50,000,000 pay cut for the life of the contract.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Was willing to pay...............
They didn't say they actually made offer it, but if you think the big hats would have not come up with that much, you are mistaken. Their hubris knows no bounds. Almost as deep as their pockets.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I have no issue with Wojo's stance on Rose. He never said MM was banned for life, you missed the point. As far as Boise is concerned I don't have a problem with him there either. Boise has had some really good teams and some people refuse to give them credit for it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have no issue with Wojo's stance on Rose.
I don't, either - I do have an issue with him bringing some sort of personal vendetta against McGwire (who I don't even like) in multiple times.

He never said MM was banned for life,
No, but he implied an equivalency that simply doesn't exist.

Mark McGwire is back in. But Pete Rose is still out?

McGwire was never OUT in the sense Rose was, so it's a stupid statement to make. McGwire was not banned for life, so his return is nothing close to a parallel.

you missed the point. As far as Boise is concerned I don't have a problem with him there either. Boise has had some really good teams and some people refuse to give them credit for it.
If that were all he said, I wouldn't have had a problem with it, either. But he instead went on an insult-fest against Gordon Gee and then threw in the old "they're playing unranked Michigan" as a sideswipe - yeah, let's compare ONE GAME and pretend it represents an ENTIRE SEASON.

And again - these were quick links. The guy does that every single column - makes an insane leap of illogic to make a point. He's not the only person who does this, but I don't like the others either.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It tells me that it is his intention to retire at Alabama. It should tell the rest of the college football world: ALABAMA IS HERE TO STAY!
i can't see saban coaching beyond the deal he currently has, and if he wins another national title in the next 3 years i think he retires...with good reason and well-deserved.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Take this for what it is worth.... A friend and former co-worker that covers UT Football for one of the largest papers in Texas wanted to write an expose on Texas' pursuit of Saban. The main points were going to be: Money was never an issue but, $10MM a year was probably high; Texas boosters ruined the deal; a plane headed toward BAMA to pick up Saban (Saban never arrived b/c of booster demands upon his arrival); The rumored house hunting was true and one of the first booster screw ups. Saban stayed b/c he realized quickly all the $$$ was not worth the heartaches of Austin, Miami Dolphins job woulda been a vacation compared to UT.

In regards to the expose, he was told in uncertain terms it would be the end of his career. If UT spirals down like Tenn did after running off Fulmer you might see the true story come out as boosters blame one another. If you thought the Barn boosters had issues just wait until the UT boosters go at one another...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Take this for what it is worth.... A friend and former co-worker that covers UT Football for one of the largest papers in Texas wanted to write an expose on Texas' pursuit of Saban. The main points were going to be: Money was never an issue but, $10MM a year was probably high; Texas boosters ruined the deal; a plane headed toward BAMA to pick up Saban (Saban never arrived b/c of booster demands upon his arrival); The rumored house hunting was true and one of the first booster screw ups. Saban stayed b/c he realized quickly all the $$$ was not worth the heartaches of Austin, Miami Dolphins job woulda been a vacation compared to UT.

In regards to the expose, he was told in uncertain terms it would be the end of his career. If UT spirals down like Tenn did after running off Fulmer you might see the true story come out as boosters blame one another. If you thought the Barn boosters had issues just wait until the UT boosters go at one another...
"Saban never arrived because of booster demands upon his arrival." Am I reading that wrong or did you type that wrong?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

if that story is even 1/4 true it puts a big dent in the "saban never seriously considered leaving" stories.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think CNS earns every penny he is paid at Bama, but, reported 100 million dollar coaches contracts, 455 million dollar stadium renovations, And the like are exactly why players are suing the NCAA . This is out of hand, but sadly will not change until it all blows up.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think CNS earns every penny he is paid at Bama, but, reported 100 million dollar coaches contracts, 455 million dollar stadium renovations, And the like are exactly why players are suing the NCAA . This is out of hand, but sadly will not change until it all blows up.
it's totally crazy.

my first year in grad school at bama ('95) i believe stallings made $750k a year and i think spurrier soon thereafter became the first coach making $1 million plus.

now schleps like mike london at uva are making nearly $2 million a year to win 3 games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
if that story is even 1/4 true it puts a big dent in the "saban never seriously considered leaving" stories.
Davefrat,

Were you here when we were getting rumblings that there might be something to Saban leaving back in December? It nearly blew up the board in fear.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Davefrat,

Were you here when we were getting rumblings that there might be something to Saban leaving back in December? It nearly blew up the board in fear.
yes...and i dared say that he was seriously considering it and you'd have thought i posted a youtube video of me throwing a sack of puppies into a tree shredder.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I got the idea from Earle that Saban MIGHT BE seriously considering it. Earle is not an alarmist and he didn't say the sky was falling but he was treated rudely too by some antsy folks here. My thought was he was giving it serious consideration based on an accumulation of signals.

I thought you were here and our thoughts were at least superficially similar. I doubt he was actually waiting on a plane then reneged but it wouldn't surprise me if the Terry in Austin story was true and that made him wary about what would get out.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Vast majority of coaches make $2-$3 million per season or less. There are extreme wages paid to the best of almost every profession. I bet if you averaged all the coaches salaries it would be around $2 million average. Not that ridiculous if you ask me. And it's also the same deal with the stadium renovations. Its really just the 1 or 2% that are doing those extreme renovations. A lot of that expense is covered by boosters also. For example, that massive reno in Oregon was done by Phil Knight the founder of NIKE.

Not that ridiculous if you ask me. You have to throw out the high and low extremes when figuring out if a certain profession is being overpaid.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Vast majority of coaches make $2-$3 million per season or less. There are extreme wages paid to the best of almost every profession. I bet if you averaged all the coaches salaries it would be around $2 million average. Not that ridiculous if you ask me. And it's also the same deal with the stadium renovations. Its really just the 1 or 2% that are doing those extreme renovations. A lot of that expense is covered by boosters also. For example, that massive reno in Oregon was done by Phil Knight the founder of NIKE.

Not that ridiculous if you ask me. You have to throw out the high and low extremes when figuring out if a certain profession is being overpaid.
i will have to respectfully disagree.

the current pay average and the fact that it has increased 70% during some of the toughest economic times in our history is pretty outlandish.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
i will have to respectfully disagree.

the current pay average and the fact that it has increased 70% during some of the toughest economic times in our history is pretty outlandish.
Its a specialty profession. Those type jobs are independent of the economy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With all due respects, I would like to hear Earle's views on this story, because there was lot of rumors that gave indications that he was leaving, and I think to some point, he was all set to leave, until something happened and now he's with us. I think there is more to this stories than we know, and hopefully Earle can shed some lights on this.. and if he doesn't want to, I respect that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The median salary for a Division 1 football coach is just under $2,000,000. In the SEC, however, nobody makes less than that .
The SEC also brings in more money than any other conference through ticket sales and the bowl game payouts. That's the correlation to the causation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Although I can't believe they were offering this kind of money....I would definately like Earle's take on this.
At the time, and I was sweating a bit, I was hearing figures in the range of $50-$60 million. After he turned that down, I just quit worrying and started believing everything he said about staying here...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.