New Book Claims Texas Offered Coach Saban $100 Million

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Saban said since he never talked directly with Texas that means he didn't have very much interest in them.

He went on to say he told the team he wasn't going anywhere. I'm amazed there weren't stories going around about him telling the team that, it's hard to imagine an entire team keeping a secret that long. I remember what AJ said when asked about it before the Iron Bowl.

I wish he would have addressed why he let his agent keep the story alive for eight or ten months instead of shutting it down, but then I guess it's just human nature to see what Texas might offer.

I was also glad he mentioned the team, that told me he understood how destructive the Texas talk had the potential to be towards team chemistry as we went for the three-peat. He knows what he did, who talked to who, and just what he told the team, and when he told them. Nobody wanted the three-peat as bad as Saban did...if in retrospect he realizes things, handled differently, might have gone better, I'm sure that is something he will learn from.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Saban said since he never talked directly with Texas that means he didn't have very much interest in them.

He went on to say he told the team he wasn't going anywhere. I'm amazed there weren't stories going around about him telling the team that, it's hard to imagine an entire team keeping a secret that long. I remember what AJ said when asked about it before the Iron Bowl.

I wish he would have addressed why he let his agent keep the story alive for eight or ten months instead of shutting it down, but then I guess it's just human nature to see what Texas might offer.

I was also glad he mentioned the team, that told me he understood how destructive the Texas talk had the potential to be towards team chemistry as we went for the three-peat. He knows what he did, who talked to who, and just what he told the team, and when he told them. Nobody wanted the three-peat as bad as Saban did...if in retrospect he realizes things, handled differently, might have gone better, I'm sure that is something he will learn from.
I agree , hard to believe that never came out, at least I missed it if it did, but the players confirm it---

Players heard the chatter and it wasn't ignored. Receiver Amari Cooper said Saban spoke to the team during the season about the Texas rumors and assured them he wasn't leaving.

They believed him.

"With coach Saban, it's never about the money," receiver Christion Jones said. "He loves Alabama and he loves our team and it's hard to start something ... The way we finished last year, I don't think no man would have run from that. That's sort of a point to prove, sort of destiny and a standard that you already set for Alabama."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So who was their 1st and 2nd???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, I meant to answer this the other day. I've posted this link before, so you might want to screen save it or whatever. It reeks of Texas-sized snotty arrogance.

Their first pick was Northwestern coach (later at Colorado) Gary Barnett.

Look at this other article:

...Northwestern coach Gary Barnett is the leading candidate to succeed him.

But Texas then triples down on monied arrogance (back to the first article):

That information is consistent with the understanding of a source with ties to Barnett, who summarized the Texas situation this way: "It's pretty much Gary's job to turn down. He may turn it down, but I don't think so."

He may turn it down, but I don't think so. I mean, who would DARE turn down TEXAS to stay at Northwestern? Nobody with a brain, Gary Barnett's coming to Austin!!!!

But just in case Barnett is insane enough to not come to Awstin, where they gawt more munny than Gawd, they already got number two lined up:

If Barnett cannot be wooed from Northwestern, a source with ties to the athletic council said Miami, Fla., coach Butch Davis and North Carolina coach Mack Brown would be next in line to be approached.

Number two: Butch Davis
Number three: Mack Brown

One would think Texas would get used to knowing they can't just buy anything they want. But they never learn that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know politics are off limits, but what about economics?

My brother, up until the time his military career intervened, was working on becoming a professor. I love my brother, he's a smart guy, he's been graded in the upper 99% before. He's hard working, all that stuff, but the simple fact is that he and 100 other people like him would have a lot of trouble having the economic impact that Nick Saban has had at the University of Alabama!

We are talking tens of millions of dollars, in additional profit! If you simply set aside economics, you can get worked up easily over numbers. For instance, my wife works at a plant that cost over 5 billion to build. You can get all worked up about that big ol' number and what else you could do with it, but that would be of course setting aside what was already done with it and the impact it had. Nick Saban has been a fantastic investment and in fact, on the open market is worth considerably more than what he was paid.

This is similar to complaints about how much people running a company get paid vs. employees. Let's see, the guy at the top might be making choices that involve billions of dollars, the guy at the bottom might be making a hamburger. The comparison is ridiculious, that is unless of course you have the utterly absurd idea in your head that all work is of equal value. Some people simply have a fundamental objections to pay being based on the value of the work.

Then perhaps subjects involving economics are not ideal for you to discuss.
Um, I think you meant in the "uppermost 1%." Being in the upper 99% isn't much of an accomplishment...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I lived in Texas long enough to see that there was an enormous amount of arrogance amongst the populace that is only trumped by the California crowd IMO. I think Texas is tolerable compared to Cali but it gets annoying fast.

When the report came out CNS inquiry, it seemed like everyone on the forums and that was a Texas fan thought it was a done deal and if alabama tried to play ball with Texas in a bidding war the whole state would be bankrupt. You also should hear how their fans think they above losing to ole miss and believe their 4 titles trumps titles from USC,Nd, OU, and ours.

Personally I think had Mac won the title against us ; he would've retired that night after hoisting the crystal. Texas should've pulled the trigger after the 2010 campaign and gave mushmouth the Texas job he was promised and just maybe both Texas and muschamp might have something.

As for the number finebaum claims... I seriously doubt it because no one in the right mind would gamble on a 60+ year old coach for 10 years. But then again it is Texas

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
personally, i find anyone working for a public university making millions ridiculous and contrary to the purpose of an institution of higher learning.
What if that professor's performance earned the university $120 million (or more) every year? I mean, I know you cannot answer that with an example as no professor on earth earns more for his employer than a great FB coach can, but what if they could? Would it be worth it then?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Does any of the money paid to Saban actually come from public funds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Um, I think you meant in the "uppermost 1%." Being in the upper 99% isn't much of an accomplishment...
Yeah, they put that little 99% thing on there but you're right of course. I never made it as far as to take the sort of college entrance exam he did. The last time I took an achievement test (until my GED) was in 4th grade, when they put that little 99% thing on there to. That was, with a brief exception also the end of my traditional classroom education so I do appreciate people willing to take time out to educate me.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Yeah, they put that little 99% thing on there but you're right of course. I never made it as far as to take the sort of college entrance exam he did. The last time I took an achievement test (until my GED) was in 4th grade, when they put that little 99% thing on there to. That was, with a brief exception also the end of my traditional classroom education so I do appreciate people willing to take time out to educate me.
"99th percentile" is what you meant.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
"99th percentile" is what you meant.
I know what I meant, as did Earl. The issue is with what I actually typed.

Although the whole percentile thing is unnecessarily confusing I suppose and I didn't even need to use that word. For instance, my test just put it like this: NATL NCE 99.0 NATL NR-S 99-9 and then it had a percentile band with black around the 99 part, heh. I don't remember exactly how my brother's looked but it was something like that. Considering study skills and language expression were my worst areas I guess one wouldn't expect me to either learn how to or be able to express that properly :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.