New Book Claims Texas Offered Coach Saban $100 Million

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agree. It seems a little convenient that Finebaum saved this nugget for his book. If there was truth to it, I think Finebaum would have dropped this during the chase or shortly after. And I think it would have been substantiated or reported by at least one other reputable party by now.

My guess is that Finebaum got this figure from "UT sources". And we know how reliable they've proved to be.
Paul hinted at it quiet a bit during the saga, and he's continued to do so.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
lost in this discussion is also the allegation that sexton sent word out to TX apparently right after the 2013 championship with the "only place he'd leave bama for" overture.

if that's true, it's ridiculous to think he acted without saban's blessing and input.

and if it's true, it means that saban and sexton were manipulating the situation from the get go.

i don't begrudge anyone for looking at possible better opportunities, but you couple this with ms. terry's boo-hooing to the press (which was either real or just more manipulation) and saban's denials of interest and it certainly lends credence to the long-standing criticism that he's a mercenary loyal only to himself and the almighty dollar.

i know that's not a popular thing to post and i'll likely get blasted for it, but it's quite apparent to me that saban and co. were playing everyone like a fiddle for a year or more.

that doesn't sound like someone who is really loyal to the university or the fan base...it's sounds like someone pitting forces against each other to achieve maximum personal advantage.

to be sure, that's generally how people at the top of any industry deal...bare knuckles and no holds barred...and that's fine.

but those kinds of people rarely have much actually loyalty to anyone or anything outside of a small circle.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
like I said, I just simply disagree.

true, it's a specialty profession, so is university professor.

nick sabama makes about 100x what a professor at Alabama makes.

I know that coach Bryant famously said that 50,000 people don't show up to a chemistry class, but I find it ridiculous.
Isn't there tens of thousands of professors though and only a couple hundred FBS coaches. That's what I mean specialty. A FBS head coach can bring 100x more value to a university than a professor can. I get what your saying though. Some are probably a little overpaid but your services are worth what somebody will pay for them.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Isn't there tens of thousands of professors though and only a couple hundred FBS coaches. That's what I mean specialty. A FBS head coach can bring 100x more value to a university than a professor can. I get what your saying though. Some are probably a little overpaid but your services are worth what somebody will pay for them.
in 8 years the average increased 70%.

applying that to our situation, were he to still be coach in 2022 saban would be making $12 million a year.

when will it stop?

is there any number that is too high, even considering revenues?

are we going to see a college coach making $20 million a year in 15 years?

i understand the business and economics behind it, but i will always find it ridiculous for a college coach to make that kind of money while we continue this farcical idea of amateur "student athletes."

it's a joke to me.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
in 8 years the average increased 70%.

applying that to our situation, were he to still be coach in 2022 saban would be making $12 million a year.

when will it stop?

is there any number that is too high, even considering revenues?

are we going to see a college coach making $20 million a year in 15 years?

i understand the business and economics behind it, but i will always find it ridiculous for a college coach to make that kind of money while we continue this farcical idea of amateur "student athletes."

it's a joke to me.
You are basing your argument on the high extreme though. I already posted that the average FBS head coach salary is 1.64 million. That's not that out of line IMO. Yes a handful make $5million or more but they are the outliers. There are professors who make about $5million a year also, if you just look at the outliers. http://www.thebestschools.org/blog/2013/11/25/10-highest-paid-college-professors-u-s/

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
like I said, I just simply disagree.

I know that coach Bryant famously said that 50,000 people don't show up to a chemistry class, but I find it ridiculous.
Professors are paid directly by the university. Football coaches are paid primarily through the athletic dept which is funded by private donors and product endorsement deals. Taxpayers are not paying these huge salaries. The professors vs coaches argument on pay is an apples and oranges comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Winston Churchill did this apparently.

I'm reminded of the old joke...

A wealthy gent asks a nice lady if she would sleep with him for a million dollars. The woman reluctantly agreed, "that's a lot of money."

The gent then says, "Now let's talk about a more realistic figure."

"Sir!" she replies, "what do you think I am?"

"We've already established what you are, now we are down to haggling about the price."

CrmznApklps

All-SEC
Nov 22, 2004
The GUMP
Not having read through all of the pages (I'm on a short lunch break), has anyone brought ROI into this discussion? To me the conversation ends in regards to his salary when the payback is no longer within the parameters of "winning." (And not the Charlie Sheen version)

ROLL TIDE

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Professors are paid directly by the university. Football coaches are paid primarily through the athletic dept which is funded by private donors and product endorsement deals. Taxpayers are not paying these huge salaries. The professors vs coaches argument on pay is an apples and oranges comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
as i said, i understand the economics and i don't care.

personally, i find anyone working for a public university making millions ridiculous and contrary to the purpose of an institution of higher learning.

especially when that person is presiding over a sham-wow "amateur" athletic program.

i know it's not a popular opinion, and that's fine.

i also understand that most of the coaches "only" make $1-2 million a year.

i'm also aware that something like half of them produce losing records and negative revenues for their schools.

i'm just an old fart i guess.

i think there's such hypocrisy in justifying a coach making millions on the basis that college football is a business but then saying that the players aren't entitled to compensation beyond their scholarships because they are amateur athletes.

does anyone think nick saban would have won 4 NCs if he'd had brandon brooks catching passes instead of guys like amari cooper or spencer pennington throwing passes to them instead of aj mcarron?

college football is hopelessly conflicted in its current form in my opinion.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Not sure how much this had to play in it but there comes a time when you are just tired of moving and are happy in one place. Along with that would be just how much money do you need to enjoy life. If he can't be comfortable with what he has now then he isn't the type of person I think he is.

Apparently, it had a lot to do with it. He just said if he had to do to over again he would stay at one place. He and Ms Tery are happy in Tuscaloosa, and he never had discussion with Texas , so had little interest. Now, I do believe his agent had discussions, and he wouldn't be much of an agent if he didn't explore options for his client. Also, how does an agent get a pay raise? By getting more money for his client.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
lost in this discussion is also the allegation that sexton sent word out to TX apparently right after the 2013 championship with the "only place he'd leave bama for" overture.

if that's true, it's ridiculous to think he acted without saban's blessing and input.
I have no doubt something like that went down. I mean seriously, the only school you are probably going to be loyal to is the one that gave you a degree. Other than that, you are probably always going to test the waters. Otherwise, why would he keep Sexton on his payroll?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
For most people, money is a commodity. When you have only a little, getting more is important. But the more that you have, the less important each additional dollar becomes. At some point, other factors in your life (e.g. quality of life) outweigh the need to get that additional dollar.

Unless, of course you are from Texas. There, money is everything, and the only thing. Money is power, and when you have unlimited money, you have unlimited power and you can use that to buy anything you want. People who think this way think that they can buy anything and anyone, and are honestly confused when this proves not to be the case. And of course, they can be best characterized by using a word that refers to the distal end of the intestinal tract.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree 100% with ya & Texas does have as much money as any team in the country, but, at the end of the day LongHorn Nation, all that $$$$ hasn't bought you NC's..When they realize it's not about the $$$$ & it's more about allowing a HC control his football program, doesn't have to answer to Boosters, and only has to concentrate on recruiting & coaching football..When they do this & cleans out all that clutter that's holding down their football program..Texas would become the absolute best football program in college football..
For most people, money is a commodity. When you have only a little, getting more is important. But the more that you have, the less important each additional dollar becomes. At some point, other factors in your life (e.g. quality of life) outweigh the need to get that additional dollar.

Unless, of course you are from Texas. There, money is everything, and the only thing. Money is power, and when you have unlimited money, you have unlimited power and you can use that to buy anything you want. People who think this way think that they can buy anything and anyone, and are honestly confused when this proves not to be the case. And of course, they can be best characterized by using a word that refers to the distal end of the intestinal tract.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What we saw today, folks, is what may as well be called "Nick Saban's Burden." He has addressed the new "expose" in Slimebaum's book and this is what Saban said (in brief):

“Well, I didn't have any conversations with them,” Saban said during SEC media day. “Nobody offered me anything. So I guess if I didn't have any conversations with them, I didn't have very much interest.”

So now here's where it gets funny. We were all kidding about it here last night - who would actually ask - and the man not only answered the question, he did it with at least some level of specificity and like an adult.

Now go read the comments: no matter what the guy does, SOMEBODY is not happy. I surmise the exact same thing happens here with TF. So let me just summarize a few of the comments, and you tell me what the guy is supposed to do.

1) Some idiot named Matt comes out and says Saban is lying - that Saban actually DID have conversations about leaving Alabama to coach at Texas. Amazingly, Matt must have either a phone tap or bug attached to Saban to be able to make such a claim - but he provides no evidence, except to then turn right around and admit his wiretap/phone never actually mentions a dollar amount.

2) Another guy named John says that Sexton talked to them and (ad nauseum) invokes the leaving Mich St, LSU, and Miami tales.

3) A third idiot named Robert comes in and uses a phrase I wish to God we could retire from the English language, "done deal" - and is backed up by idiot number one, Matt. (It appears these guy actually believe that what they read on Internet message boards is sort of like an infallible bible type thing).

4) Another idiot named John invokes the last refuge of those with no evidence - he plays the old, "but he said X when he was at Miami." Somehow (and someone needs to explain this logic to me), just because you lied about something a long time ago, it means you ALWAYS lie about similar things.

5) Finally, another idiot - the aptly named Knuckledragger - whines "where was this denial months ago!!"

So let's recap the complaints: some think Saban is lying and actually did talk to Texas, some think Saban didn't but Sexton did and that is somehow the same thing, some think the fact he lied about leaving Miami means he can't possibly be telling the truth this time, and some are mad he didn't deny it months ago.

Now we all know what would have happened if HE DID deny it months ago - I'm sure ESPN already had that wmv or whatever ready to play the moment Saban came out and denied it, all set to put up split screens that said "2006/today" and then the inscription at the bottom saying "left for Alabama/leaving for Texas?"

I hope everyone with a brain can see precisely why it would never have mattered what Saban said. Different critics take different angles and you can't possibly please all of them. So Saban opted instead to tick off every single one of them instead.

Lord, I can't wait for August 30!!!!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

personally, i find anyone working for a public university making millions ridiculous and contrary to the purpose of an institution of higher learning.

especially when that person is presiding over a sham-wow "amateur" athletic program.

i know it's not a popular opinion, and that's fine.

i also understand that most of the coaches "only" make $1-2 million a year.

i'm also aware that something like half of them produce losing records and negative revenues for their schools.

i'm just an old fart i guess.

i think there's such hypocrisy in justifying a coach making millions on the basis that college football is a business but then saying that the players aren't entitled to compensation beyond their scholarships because they are amateur athletes.

does anyone think nick saban would have won 4 NCs if he'd had brandon brooks catching passes instead of guys like amari cooper or spencer pennington throwing passes to them instead of aj mcarron?

college football is hopelessly conflicted in its current form in my opinion.
I sort of agree with you. However, in the next few years most of that high dollar salary will be redistributed. Then, he'll be working for the love of college football.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I know politics are off limits, but what about economics?

My brother, up until the time his military career intervened, was working on becoming a professor. I love my brother, he's a smart guy, he's been graded in the upper 99% before. He's hard working, all that stuff, but the simple fact is that he and 100 other people like him would have a lot of trouble having the economic impact that Nick Saban has had at the University of Alabama!

We are talking tens of millions of dollars, in additional profit! If you simply set aside economics, you can get worked up easily over numbers. For instance, my wife works at a plant that cost over 5 billion to build. You can get all worked up about that big ol' number and what else you could do with it, but that would be of course setting aside what was already done with it and the impact it had. Nick Saban has been a fantastic investment and in fact, on the open market is worth considerably more than what he was paid.

This is similar to complaints about how much people running a company get paid vs. employees. Let's see, the guy at the top might be making choices that involve billions of dollars, the guy at the bottom might be making a hamburger. The comparison is ridiculious, that is unless of course you have the utterly absurd idea in your head that all work is of equal value. Some people simply have a fundamental objections to pay being based on the value of the work.

Then perhaps subjects involving economics are not ideal for you to discuss.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I take comfort knowing Saban gets older each year, just like everybody else. I'm not looking for any more leverage plays or actual flirting with other schools because, as he said, he's too old to start over.
Let's see! How old was Coach Bryant when his age was affecting recruiting of people like one of the greatest athletes to come out of Alabama or anywhere else, Bo Jackson. Now, how young is Coach Saban?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.