New Book Claims Texas Offered Coach Saban $100 Million

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...--according-to-upcoming-book-202711841.htmlpi

(Caveat: it IS Finebaum and Gene Wojo-je-whatever, who is colossally stupid FYI - but interesting nontheless)

=========

That’s what’s Texas was willing to cobble together to gain the services of the Tide’s national championship-winning coach, according to the SEC Network's Paul Finebaum.

In his upcoming book, "My Conference Can Beat Your Conference: Why the SEC Still Rules College Football," which he co-wrote with ESPN.com's Gene Wojchiechowski, Finebaum said Texas was “dead serious” about offering Saban an obscene amount of money.

AL.com obtained an advance copy of the book.

"Texas was dead serious about trying to money-whip Saban," according to Finebaum and Wojchiechowski. "Depending on whom you talk to -- Bama big hitters or Texas big hitters -- the Longhorns were prepared to give Saban somewhere between a $12 and $15 million signing bonus and a salary package worth $100 million (plus performances)."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If they offered him that I wouldn't even be mad at him for leaving. He couldn't turn that money down. Anyone mods or anyone else in the know, would Bama have matched Texas dollar for dollar no matter the amount.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why is Gene Wojo an idiot?
Well in my view - but there's lots of reasons, including the following:

1) Despite Boise's Loss, Non-AQs Belong

This article was written just as Boise was eliminated by Nevada in 2010. He actually said this:

So much for Gordon Gee's blathering earlier in the week. The Ohio State president recently stuck his bow tie in his mouth by saying Boise, as well as TCU, didn't deserve a national title shot because of their schedule strength. Or, according to Mr. Football, the lack of it.

It was an interesting observation, given that Boise played the 19th-ranked Wolf Pack on the road while his Buckeyes face unranked Michigan on Saturday.

(So Ohio State has played Michigan for a century and this particular year Michigan is unranked....and so somehow this means Boise playing Nevada was more challenging....but it's not a one-game season so this logic is insane)

2) Article Complaining About the Pete Rose Ban And Comparing It to.....Mark McGwire

Here's his opening line:

Mark McGwire is back in. But Pete Rose is still out?

Major League Baseball continues its hit streak of hypocrisy

(Apparently, Gene is too stupid to know that Mark McGwire was never uh you know BANNED from baseball....)

Btw - Gene HATES McGwire for some reason. First column of his I ever read here in the DMN in 2005, he was touting Jose Canseco for the Hall of Fame but NOT McGwire right as Canseco had admitted using roids. Yet it was his comment that stuck with me, saying Canseco was down to earth and McGwire was "a freak of nature." He apparently doesn't remember Jose having a 1-900 number or getting pulled over multiple times speeding in a Porsche. Canseco's celebrity treatment in 1989 was second only to the continuing soap opera known as Mike Tyson (which lost a bit after he and Robin Givens divorced...until the rape).

And finally - the guy writes in more cliches than Rick Reilly.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think that number is that big of a reach. I'm not sure some people realized how monumental the gap in resources is. Alabama fans might be rapid, but the pockets just are not that deep. In my opinion Nick Saban staying was all about loyalty and legacy. If he was the mercenary many claim he is, he could have left for Texas or the NFL and had quite a bit more money in the process.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I will tell you now - those ARE the numbers we were hearing here in Dallas during "Saban Watch."

It was all over the place.

You have to remember something else (try to follow me logically here):

1) aTm stole Fran from us because they got more money than we got
2) Texas has a hull lut mer munny than dem Aggies due!!!
3) So they can go buy Alabama's coach

Keep in mind the first flaw is that number one was NOT based solely on money; Fran was given $11 million over five years - do you honestly think in 2002 we couldn't match THAT? That's not all that much. Hell, we were paying Shula $1.55 million to lose his last year. You think we didn't have another $700K laying around?

But no, the Longhorn logic was that they could buy what they wanted simply because aTm did. They do still look at our state as being so poor and uneducated and hey they're Texas. They can buy whatever they want!!!

And btw - on the night that was all going on, OKC sportscaster Dean Blevins put it on Twitter:
Texas source tells me:
"Saban sitting on 10-yr deal worth $100M & 1% of #LonghornNetwork."
Smart way 2 get cooperation w non-stop TV cams

(So while Slimebaum is a jerk - this may be true).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hate McGwire and I think Rose's ban should be lifted, guess I'm an idiot too.

Those figures don't seem far fetched to me, makes it even sweeter that he stayed. Texas can't even buy a win, those poor little souls.
No, you missed the point.

Gene Wojo was too stupid to know McGwire WAS NEVER BANNED - hence, his charge of hypocrisy is hogwash. Also - McGwire is a bigger freak than Canseco? Are you kidding me?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There's a big difference in preparing to make an offer and to actually make an offer. I don't believe Texas or anybody ever offered CNS a contract valued at $100 million. If they did he would have taken it IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.