New Book Claims Texas Offered Coach Saban $100 Million

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
JMHO, but I think the "job hopper" label did play a part in the end...
For a ten year deal, CNS would be 70. There would always be a healthy contingent of Shorthorn faithful that would doubt his commitment, claiming he was open to a sweeter deal before it had run its course. With a couple of mediocre seasons or Mac Brown-style losses to the likes of Ole Miss or Baylor, the howls and the media coverage/obsession would be tangential. Shorthorn Nation would have expected the wins to roll in instantly, and anything less would have been Saban Sabotage. They are a strange breed.

Coach Saban and his agent surely recognized this.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Okay, here's my take - not that anyone cares. (On the side note, I don't give a rip about Mark McGwire OR Pete Rose).

I don't know what was involved early on nor can I speculate intelligently upon it. The "tip" to me - the thing that suggested to me that Saban MIGHT have been considering leaving - came when he leaped into McCarron's arms after the LSU win. That was so out of character of anything I've seen here that it raised my eyebrows to be honest. Now - of course - I couldn't say that here for obvious reasons (there were enough "Saban to Texas" threads popping up and it was vague at best). But it seemed Saban was so "loose" all of a sudden that he'd stopped his constant focus. We then looked rather sick against Miss State and well, let's not even talk about Auburn.

But he seemed out of focus to me. That was NOT true earlier in the year, but it was the accumulation of signals - Terry in Austin (which I DID believe at the time), his rant about fans leaving early after the Arkansas game, the McCarron hug - it all suggested to me a guy sort of "letting up" and at the same time feeling unappreciated. But nothing seemed to happen. Even that original report by that Longhorn hack with an omelet on his face (his real name is Kevin Berger, and he's dumber than, well anyway) - I could not bring myself to think it was real.

And then Tide-HSV brought it up. And that was when I thought maybe it was over for sure.

I have no doubt Texas is crazy enough to have made that kind of offer. You really have to spend time here to understand it. Remember that old TV show "Dallas?" Remember JR Ewing, how no matter what it was he tried to figure out how to buy his way? That's pretty much how it is here now. They DO have the attitude here that if they just throw their money out there anybody will just jump at it. This is why Jerry Jones has had a lousy football team for two decades now.

But here's the thing - unless the stories about the real estate losses were deep - I have to wonder something - what exactly is it that you can buy with $100 million that you can't buy $5.5 million a year? There can't be 100 things in the entire world that make that much difference. But I've never thought Saban was motivated by money anyway - he took a pay cut of a million bucks a year to come here. I know Texas has thought that - they're the ones who have coined the term mercenary to describe him.

Here are the reasons I thought he might leave:

1) Become the only coach to win titles at three schools - this would be about as unbreakable a record as Cy Young's 511 wins - what coach is going to win titles at FOUR FBS schools?

2) Potential fallout from the DJ Fluker mess

Most of the rest of the things never made sense to me. But I also know this - Texas people, because they buy the game, think that puts them in charge. They actually think like Jerry Jones that since they put in the money that they can tell the coach who to play and what plays to run - that's not as much an exaggeration as it sounds (obviously not every booster can do this, but the gazillionaires have the ear of the AD).

But the funny thing is this: if this is actually true then Saban has moved more from the sinner to the saint category in characterization.

And I wouldn't want to be the stupid reporter who asks about this at the next PC.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm thinking some that contemplation by CNS was a little public payback for suggesting it was okay for fans to leave early after the UTC blowout. I winced when I heard this on the radio after all the complaints earlier about folks leaving early after the Arkansas game.

Whether it be with CNS or any other coach I don't think any of us can truly appreciate the level of egomania these coaches or their families have. I think we would utterly shocked at some of the underlying reasons why coaches change job. More money is rarely the sole reason.

I believe every bit that it went down similar to this and I picked up on some of the same cues that Selma did. But the everyday intrusion by the LHN was enough of a reason to turn down the job.

I'm not sure I feel any better by knowing this though. Personally from all the events leading up the start of the season I believe the players and staff had already lost focus. The only difference in the off season of 2010 and 2013 rather than in 2010 when it media slobbering and movie making 2013 was about making history and capitalizing on it.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
"Saban never arrived because of booster demands upon his arrival." Am I reading that wrong or did you type that wrong?
Saban did not get on the plane b/c while it was in route one too many prominent UT boosters made contact. How close was the plane, did he (Sexton) agree/have a deal, I don't know but, my friend says he was closer to leaving than some may think.

Saban realized between the big headed egomaniac boosters and the Longhorn Network demands their was too much clutter. If UT could ever shut up the big mouth boosters they'd be on a level nobody has ever seen. Thankfully they are a bunch of idiots that make Lowder and Yella Fella look normal. Just look at what they are doing to Bill Powers right now.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I honestly think his "Legacy" perhaps played the biggest part of him staying at Bama as you stated Earle, along with how happy he, and Mrs Terry truly are at Bama, Family is the most important part of his life, and his Family is happy here at Bama..Had he left us for Texas or another job, he would prove The Barners, and the rest of his 'Haters right, that he's a $$$$ grabbing & job hopping you know what..To an extent..The Barners & all the other folks calling him names for coming to Bama, actually helped us keep him at Bama,so thanks Barner & all of Coach Saban's 'Haters , we appreciate y'all part in keeping Coach Saban at Bama..Plus..If he wants to retire from college football as the greatest HC, to ever coach the game, his best option is to stay at Bama & finish out "The Process" here at Bama..And finish out the ride of becoming the best to ever coach the game here at Bama..And what better place to accomplish that, than at the school, that the best HC that's ever coached in college football..Of course that's right here at Alabama..

He's has a NC producing Football Program, running at full throttle here at Bama, why leave now, and try starting over at another school..I know Texas has all the pieces needed to win NC's, but, that doesn't necessarily mean he would win as big at Texas, as he has at Bama, and as he will in the future at Bama..There's no sure thing in life except for taxes & death, and leaving Bama could've been the death, of his chance of becoming the best to ever walk the sideline in college football..I'm glad he stayed & we will finish out "The Process" at Bama..And I do feel like he'll become the absolute best that's ever coached in college football..ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!..
JMHO, but I think the "job hopper" label did play a part in the end...

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
It evens out. Property taxes are insane and we have these monstrosities called tollways you pay to use all the time.
I'm so happy Birmingham and Hoover don't have any...now what in the world could make any Texas booster think they could simply but CNS away?? They act as if this state/University has no money. Do you think it hurt Texas and A&M back with $$$ and attendance in the 60's when the Cowboys came around???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Not sure how much this had to play in it but there comes a time when you are just tired of moving and are happy in one place. Along with that would be just how much money do you need to enjoy life. If he can't be comfortable with what he has now then he isn't the type of person I think he is.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.