McElroy commentary on ESPN...

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I heard his comments & knew with absolute certainty that there'd be a big firestorm in response. Essentially, "Someone in the media said something not fawning about Bama! I'm outraged. And worse, this person actually played at Bama! The horror... (etc.)" To which I yawn, as I'm not very concerned with what anyone in the media says by way of prediction about my alma mater. Anyone remember Kenny Stabler blowing off Eli's excuses after Miss St beat us 20ish years ago? "Nah, they pretty much lined up & whipped our butts today, and I think if we played them again, they'd do it again." (or words to that effect) I do; the comments made me laugh then and they still do.

I think GMac will be fine. I'm far more concerned about the known quantities on the SEC network: Brent M.? St. Tim?? Those are the ones that worry me. Wonder what the over/under is for how long into the 1st broadcast it will be before Brent drops a reference to AJ's new bride. "Well, there's Bama's new QB taking the field. He replaces AJ McCarron, who is married to one beautiful lady! Wonder where they went on their honeymoon..."

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
Anyone else think Greg McElroy is trying too hard not to show any Bama bias in his job on television and radio? I know he is being professional and has just started- but I hope Greg will remember where he came from. I do not expect another homer like Danny Kannel but Greg seems to be going out of his way.

i like and respect him very much- just curious if any one else felt the same.
I absolutely agree with you.Gregg is a very intelligent person, whom I like, but this leaning backwards, afraid he might offend someone from another school is obvious.I realize he is stating an opinion and it's not written in stone but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself.Jesse Palmer says Bama will beat Ga in the championship game; Gregg says Bama will lose to South Carolina in the game....he went on to say the ole ball coach beat them the last time they played.(quite awhile ago Gregg) Greg says Bama will go into the game 11 and 1 (losing to LSU).
This is also my opinion but that's the way it appears to me!

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Anyone else think Greg McElroy is trying too hard not to show any Bama bias in his job on television and radio? I know he is being professional and has just started- but I hope Greg will remember where he came from. I do not expect another homer like Danny Kannel but Greg seems to be going out of his way.

i like and respect him very much- just curious if any one else felt the same.
Sounds similar to the way Jay Barker was doing his overblown best to play "Switzerland" on the morning radio show in B'ham - at least up until i quit listening to him/it several years ago. No idea if he's still even on radio anymore.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Did Arie K really make First team ALL-SEC? That's really surprising to me. I thought he was underwhelming most of last year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just watched college football live. Greg now has us winning the west and losing to USCe in the SECCG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why is everyone high on USCe? Dylan Thompson? I think they will lose opening night to aTm. Guess we'll find out in about a month.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I heard his comments & knew with absolute certainty that there'd be a big firestorm in response. Essentially, "Someone in the media said something not fawning about Bama! I'm outraged. And worse, this person actually played at Bama! The horror... (etc.)" To which I yawn, as I'm not very concerned with what anyone in the media says by way of prediction about my alma mater. Anyone remember Kenny Stabler blowing off Eli's excuses after Miss St beat us 20ish years ago? "Nah, they pretty much lined up & whipped our butts today, and I think if we played them again, they'd do it again." (or words to that effect) I do; the comments made me laugh then and they still do.

I think GMac will be fine. I'm far more concerned about the known quantities on the SEC network: Brent M.? St. Tim?? Those are the ones that worry me. Wonder what the over/under is for how long into the 1st broadcast it will be before Brent drops a reference to AJ's new bride. "Well, there's Bama's new QB taking the field. He replaces AJ McCarron, who is married to one beautiful lady! Wonder where they went on their honeymoon..."
I can see a sign in the Bama dressing room that has: "McElroy says that LSU will beat Bama!" Maybe this will serve as a little motivation in front of 102,000+ DRUNK fans.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
No big deal. Greg is in the learning mode of a new career. Despite being uber intelligent, it is like any job that takes time to become comfortable performing. He's talking a mile a minute and needs to slow up a tad but, again, that comes with experience in front of the camera. At this point in his career he certainly doesn't want to be dubbed a homer -- that can come later.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I know I'm in the minority opinion here, but other than putting Ole Miss finishing above LSU, I actually don't think Gmac's prediction is that far off base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know I'm in the minority opinion here, but other than putting Ole Miss finishing above LSU, I actually don't think Gmac's prediction is that far off base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not his opinion most were complaining about. It's his logic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.