Athletic Departments Paying Insurance for Student Athletes

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: atm paid over $50K to retain player for 2014

Sorry didn't see the other thread. Was looking for 50K and atm in the titles.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

just another example of what a joke the ncaa is.

i wonder if you could purchase players an annuity...that's an insurance policy.

that would essentially amount to a deferred compensation plan for student athletes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I think there should be something in place to allow the schools to buy insurance for all NFL prospects.

Having said that, it does make the things the NCAA has responded harshly towards seem pretty insignificant.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I'm not initially opposed to this door opening wider. I'm interested in the debate, at least.
I have no issue with schools doing this but, I see this making the gap between the top reveune schools and others greater. What will stop a school from telling a stud recruit we will buy you a $5MM insurance policy once you sign your LOI? Based on what aTm did, it is not a violation.... If the school buys a policy that has a partial return of premium rider once the kid does not get injured, can it be given to the student athlete upon expiration of eligibility? If so, another way to entice an athlete to a school.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't think the schools should pay for the insurance. I think that goes too far and is questionable, to say the least.
I do think, however, that kids should be able to borrow the money necessary to cover the premiums, from a bank, with either his future contract or insurance proceeds(should he be injured) serving as collateral.
I might be wrong, but I don't think they can do that at this point.
Someone correct me if you know for sure please. Thanks. sip

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I don't think the schools should pay for the insurance. I think that goes too far and is questionable, to say the least.
I do think, however, that kids should be able to borrow the money necessary to cover the premiums, from a bank, with either his future contract or insurance proceeds(should he be injured) serving as collateral.
I agree with your take. Let the players use their earning potential to get the insurance instead of letting the schools pay direct.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Why coudn't they if a bank was willing to take the risk? Would that be any different than a kid going to med school to be a surgeon taking out insurance on their hands? The only way it would be a violation would be if the bank said they only offer "career" insurance to the football team.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
Why coudn't they if a bank was willing to take the risk? Would that be any different than a kid going to med school to be a surgeon taking out insurance on their hands? The only way it would be a violation would be if the bank said they only offer "career" insurance to the football team.
This is what I thought players were doing in the past. I sure don't see where the schools should be coming up with the money to pay insurance.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
For those complaining about this, do note that Alabama stands to gain from this rule more than just about any school in the country...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.