Blog: latest Bama News 7/17/14

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
The Bingo sheet for his press conference is pretty standard: aight, Process, feigning ignorance to shut down a line of questioning, tearing the head off of whichever poor rookie reporter asks him about a depth chart, etc. We can add Finebaum's $100 million from Texas story to the list too. There will be insight, death stares, and more humor than you'd expect. It's the perfect way to cap off the event. The players Saban brought with him are Amari Cooper, Christion Jones, and Landon Collins.
SEC Media Days 2014: Day 4 Schedule - Team Speed Kills via rbr

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
On Texas' Supposed $100 Million Offer to Nick Saban - Team Speed Kills-via rbr

"Texas was dead serious about trying to money-whip Saban," Finebaum and Wojchiechowski [sic] write. "Depending on whom you talk to -- Bama big hitters or Texas big hitters -- the Longhorns were prepared to give Saban somewhere between a $12 and $15 million signing bonus and a salary package worth $100 million (plus performances)."

Hey, Pawwwwwwwwll..(My edit)

This is why I hate (and I may just mean that in the literal sense) Paul Finebaum. Rumors of Texas willing to go up to $100 million have been out there for a while yet he uses the day before Saban is to appear at SEC Media Days to drop this bomb? Okay, bro. I honestly have no clue why any Alabama fan would subject themselves to his nonsense on a daily basis..

However, Brandon makes a good point in the article that we have no clue the length of the contract Texas was going to offer. For all we know it could have been 5 million over 20 years. The number is more likely 10 for 10 but it's funny how Finebaum leaves that key piece of information out of his book. And if Texas had offered $100 I'm quite confident 'Bama would have matched the offer..
The question is, and this is one I think we discussed months ago, how high should/would 'Bama be willing to go to keep Saban around? Is there a number too high where Battle would have to say no? Is it 115? 125? Where does it stop? My personal feeling is $100 million is too high but I'm sure many of you will disagree and I can't wait to hear your arguments...
rbr op

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
"It is with an overwhelmingly heavy heart that I type this status. Today, after a seizure, Starla left us. And after two minutes of chest compressions she was revived. We later found that another ECHO showed even more decreased heart function than before. She is now on life support and we need a miracle!!!!!! I'm so hurt, and please don't ask any questions as I will not share any more information. I love my beautiful daughter with EVERY fiber of my being, GOD knows this, EVERYONE knows this. Please pray!!!! Pray for a MIRACLE!!!!"

Starla would eventually recover, and began several bouts of chemotherapy. As Starla recovered, she and McCarron continued to form a bond that eventually led to Starla becoming McCarron's goddaughter. Starla was finally ruled to be cancer free on April 11, 2012. Recently,
AJ's then-fiance, Katherine Webb, invited Starla to be their wedding flower girl.

AJ McCarron's Special Bond with Starla Chapman an ESPY Moment - Cincy Jungle via rbr

This is a great reminder for everyone who seems to have forgotten the type of off-the-field person AJ is...
rbr op

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
College football rule changes focus on targeting, quarterback safety - LA Times via rbr

Under the old rule, a player cited for targeting — using the crown of the helmet to tackle or initiating contact to the head or neck of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm or fist — was ejected from the game, with a 15-yard penalty assessed, pending a review from the instant-play booth
The problem: The team was still assessed a penalty even if replay overruled the targeting call on the field. How was that fair? It wasn't, and thus the rule has been amended.
The second change is designed to protect a defenseless quarterback in the pocket. Defensive players can no longer hit a quarterback below the knees when he is in the passing motion. Since targeting the head is also illegal, tacklers will be restricted to a specific area of contact. "People have said, ‘Do you have a strike zone for quarterbacks?'" Shaw said. "And there really is. Now you hit them above the knee and below the neck."

Sigh..CFB is now one step closer to becoming the NFL.

Look, I'm glad they amended the targeting rule but this "hit them (QB) above the knee and below the neck" deal is getting out of hand. Did CFB all of a sudden see a high amount of QB, in the pocket, ACL injuries in recent years? Not that I'm aware of. And if you're going to protect the knees of QB's, who again seem to have a low percentage of knee injuries, then they need to look at how HUNH offensive lines cut block d-lineman...
rbr op

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.