SEC Pre(diction) Season: Vandy

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why they'll be good:
- Four returning starters on the offensive line for an offense that will probably want to pound opponents into submission, that's IF Derek Mason seeks to have the same offense he had at Stanford
- their out of conference schedule is an absolute joke
- stud playmaker at safety

Why they'll be bad
- OL Wesley Johnson & WR Jordan Matthews will be tough to replace
- new coach, new system (maybe...what will their identity be?), new QB,
- a relatively loaded SEC East

Schedule prediction:

- vs Temple - W
- vs Ole Miss - L
- vs UMass - W
- vs South Carolina - L
- @ Kentucky - W
- @ UGA - L
- vs Charleston Southern - W
- @ Mizzou - L
- vs Old Dominion - W
- vs Florida - L
- @ Miss St - L
- vs Tennessee - L

Summary

Much like their last head coach, their new coach doesn't lack confidence and is a great leader of men. He has ferociously hit the recruiting trail and secured verbal commitments from some of the top offensive linemen in the country in what looks like an effort to turn Vandy into Stanford Lite. Not a bad program to pattern after. The difference, however, will be playing teams that can withstand the bludgeoning and dish it right back every single week. And these recruits can't help him this season anyway. Many of the guys that were committed to Vandy followed James Franklin to Penn St. So there are a ton of question marks with this team. What will their identity be? Who replaces the production of Jordan Matthews? Who replaces the leadership of Wesley Johnson? How does the talent/depth ratio look?

The weak out of conference schedule will keep the season from being an absolute wash. They have some of the weakest SEC competition on their schedule with Kentucky, Miss St and UT, but the last two will be much improved and I think the continuity of their programs will trump Vandy's . I got them going 5-7 with a strong possibility of going .500 if the bottom falls out for Miss St or Tennessee.

What are your thoughts on this 2014 Vandy team?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Good analysis. I still think they'll steal a game from Tennessee and Florida/ Georgia. This could be the suprise team that could win few games more than expected. This is very good coach they have this year, and I suspect it'll be learing year for him, but he definitely will excel to the point where he can build on that for 2015.
Why they'll be good:
- Four returning starters on the offensive line for an offense that will probably want to pound opponents into submission, that's IF Derek Mason seeks to have the same offense he had at Stanford
- their out of conference schedule is an absolute joke
- stud playmaker at safety

Why they'll be bad
- OL Wesley Johnson & WR Jordan Matthews will be tough to replace
- new coach, new system (maybe...what will their identity be?), new QB,
- a relatively loaded SEC East

Schedule prediction:

- vs Temple - W
- vs Ole Miss - L
- vs UMass - W
- vs South Carolina - L
- @ Kentucky - W
- @ UGA - L
- @ Mizzou - L
- vs Old Dominion - W
- vs Florida - L
- @ Miss St - L
- vs Tennessee - L

Summary

Much like their last head coach, their new coach doesn't lack confidence and is a great leader of men. He has ferociously hit the recruiting trail and secured verbal commitments from some of the top offensive linemen in the country in what looks like an effort to turn Vandy into Stanford Lite. Not a bad program to pattern after. The difference, however, will be playing teams that can withstand the bludgeoning and dish it right back every single week. And these recruits can't help him this season anyway. Many of the guys that were committed to Vandy followed James Franklin to Penn St. So there are a ton of question marks with this team. What will their identity be? Who replaces the production of Jordan Matthews? Who replaces the leadership of Wesley Johnson? How does the talent/depth ratio look?

The weak out of conference schedule will keep the season from being an absolute wash. They have some of the weakest SEC competition on their schedule with Kentucky, Miss St and UT, but the last two will be much improved and I think the continuity of their programs will trump Vandy's . I got them going 5-7 with a strong possibility of going .500 if the bottom falls out for Miss St or Tennessee.

What are your thoughts on this 2014 Vandy team?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
- vs Temple - W
- vs Ole Miss - L
- vs UMass - W
- vs South Carolina - L
- @ Kentucky - L
- @ UGA - L
- @ Mizzou - L
- vs Old Dominion - W
- vs Florida - L
- @ Miss St - L
- vs Tennessee - L

4-8 (0-8)

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I am going to go with 6-6 possible 7-5. I think they will win one of the three (possibly even two) against Ole Miss, TN, and Florida since they have all three at home.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Hugh Freeze and his team didn't impress me last year. I thought he failed to build on a good first season. I still think that his first season will remain his best at UM. So it wouldn't surprise me if Vandy beat those guys. The Kentucky game is a wash, and they could steal one more from UGA/UF/UT/MSU. All those teams are question marks. All of them could be pretty good or pretty bad. I'd say six wins is their best case scenario.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Vanderbilt looks like one big question mark. New staff, new head coach, they lose over half their starters... They have a lot of young talent, but no experience.
Luckily, they do have an easy schedule that should all but guarantee 4 wins.

If I'm a Vanderbilt fan, though, I am excited about the future. With the young talent and a coach who is confident and appears to know what he's doing, I expect to see them competing in the SEC East next year. This year, they'll be lucky to win 2 conference games.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
6-6. I think they'll split with MSU and Tennessee. My guess is that they beat Tennessee to get to bowl eligibility at the end. Best case for them is 8 wins, but they'd have to win both 50/50 games and steal one they shouldn't win.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Unless Dorrell somehow learned to coach in the off-season, this team is gonna be baaad...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
- vs Temple - W
- vs Ole Miss - L
- vs UMass - W
- vs South Carolina - L
- @ Kentucky - L
- @ UGA - L
- @ Mizzou - L
- vs Old Dominion - W
- vs Florida - L
- @ Miss St - L
- vs Tennessee - L

4-8 (0-8)
I think 4-8 is the best they'll do. However, I'm not sure they'll beat both UMass and Temple. They could end up 3-9 even with this very WEAK schedule.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I think 4-8 is the best they'll do. However, I'm not sure they'll beat both UMass and Temple. They could end up 3-9 even with this very WEAK schedule.
I would say Temple's chances are slim and none. UMass' chance is none. UMass was 1-11 last year and their win was against 0-12 Miami (Ohio).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Derrick Mason has a lot of rework on the offensive and defensive lines as this team is changing greatly from the plan of attack under Franklin. Vandy will be a tough out for everyone on their schedule, but they'll falter in some areas. At Stanford, Mason's defense was predicated on the pass rush allowing the secondary to make simple area zone drops. I imagine they'll get burned a lot in scenarios where they can't affect the QB.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
If Vandy can channel their rage from the cornholing they received from Franklin, they can have a decent season. Their back-loaded schedule, though, is going to make it very hard for them to end the season on a positive note.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
I agree with the OP's predictions, except maybe for the FL game. I see that as a trap game with FL coming off the GA cocktail party game, while Vandy rests from the (during) their game with Old Dominion. FL hasn't proven it has the stamina to go through November undefeated, and this may be more fight than they can handle.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I really have nothing further to add on this season's summary as it was very comprehensive. I will say though that I think Vandy is in fantastic hands with Mason. Give him about 3-4 years, and I think he will have them on par with anyone in the East. For the time being though, Vandy will be stuck in yet another rebuilding rut while they recover from their losses of the past year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.