Mark Richt is a good man

Dec 15, 2000
Shellman Georgia
CMR is a good man. He is very Christian and does a lot of good deeds off the football field. I think his discipline lacks in some areas, but does not in others. CMR is quick to suspend players if they do not act accordingly, but usually the suspensions are for games that UGA should win.

On the field, CMR is a great coach as long as he is winning. Under Richt, it seems as if UGA allows opposing teams to either get ahead really early, or make a great comeback at the end of the game. He is not a great coach, mainly (IMHO) because he does not have that killer instinct to put the game away. He gets ultra conservative when he has the lead and all too often it comes back to bite him in the butt.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really think richt is a more successful mike Shula. I think he really benefits from being in a state with loads of talent with one superior program. He won the east once when Meyer was at Florida and has never beat saban in the sec championship game. He beat miles and nutt in SECCG but I think he was extremely fortunate that we didn't have prothro at the end of the year; because with him we had the best 1st string team all around in the country that year despite Shula being our coach. Point is that he is very fortunate that UGA is the only real team in Georgia and he gets recruits at will but put him at the capstone he is mike Shula 2.0. But they both are great people off the field.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
This thread is like wandering into a conversation 15 minutes after it started and wondering what got everybody talking about it in the 1st place. What's with CMR love fest? I'm sure he is a good man and takes care of his family...not that any of us know this for sure unless you live behind closed doors with the man. But as a coach, he's notoriously soft in the discipline area and it's cost him games, imho. And probably cost some of his players as well in terms of learning discipline. Add to that the fact that while he wins games in quantity he doesn't have much hardware to show for it and he is the Texas of the east, imho.
He's just a good and decent man! It seems like you have a problem with him & I don't get it. Do I sense some jealousy?

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
This thread is like wandering into a conversation 15 minutes after it started and wondering what got everybody talking about it in the 1st place. What's with CMR love fest? I'm sure he is a good man and takes care of his family...not that any of us know this for sure unless you live behind closed doors with the man. But as a coach, he's notoriously soft in the discipline area and it's cost him games, imho. And probably cost some of his players as well in terms of learning discipline. Add to that the fact that while he wins games in quantity he doesn't have much hardware to show for it and he is the Texas of the east, imho.
He's kicked numerous guys off his team that have ended up playing significant roles for other coaches/teams in the SEC. Of course, I haven't lived behind closed doors with the man, so I can't be sure of that. But it impresses me that his wife, a cancer survivor, is the watergirl for the team.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Sure he's a good man off the field, on the field, with the kinda talent he's had at Georgia & his team has consistently been stocked full of Blue Chip talent, as much so, as any football program in the country..As far as his coaching abilities, it's been non existence during the Richt Era at Georgia..His teams are stocked full of talent & it takes damned near coaching brain farts for them to lose a game or a lack of leadership from the HC to lose 3-4 games a year like has happened to a Richt HC'ed team..With the sheer amount of talent at Georgia every year, they will be stocked full of Blue Chipped home grown talent, I agree I hope Richt "The Saint" off the field stays at Georgia for another 20yrs..If they ever bring in a HC that can actually lock the States Top Talent down consistently every year..And a HC that can actually coach up that talent..Georgia has the pieces to the puzzle, that would allow them to become the best football program in the SEC, I hope Richt stays a long long long time & that "Sleeping Giant" remains asleep for the time being or until Richt retires from Georgia in about 20yrs..

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I will never forget Richt visiting Prothro in the hospital and presenting him with the game ball. He may not be the best coach in the SEC, but he is a good man.
I never heard he did that. This is news to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Sure he's a good man off the field, on the field, with the kinda talent he's had at Georgia & his team has consistently been stocked full of Blue Chip talent, as much so, as any football program in the country..As far as his coaching abilities, it's been non existence during the Richt Era at Georgia..His teams are stocked full of talent & it takes damned near coaching brain farts for them to lose a game or a lack of leadership from the HC to lose 3-4 games a year like has happened to a Richt HC'ed team..With the sheer amount of talent at Georgia every year, they will be stocked full of Blue Chipped home grown talent, I agree I hope Richt "The Saint" off the field stays at Georgia for another 20yrs..If they ever bring in a HC that can actually lock the States Top Talent down consistently every year..And a HC that can actually coach up that talent..Georgia has the pieces to the puzzle, that would allow them to become the best football program in the SEC, I hope Richt stays a long long long time & that "Sleeping Giant" remains asleep for the time being or until Richt retires from Georgia in about 20yrs..
Think that's what happened to us last year? Coach Saban have a couple brain farts? Makes sense, really.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Hope CMR stays at Jawja until he retires. He's a good man, surrounded by not so good assistants.
Then with the addition of Pruitt georgia should be undefeated going into the SECCG because of his proven track record and the fact that bobo offenses are year in and year out going to be in the top offenses in the SEC.

He is a nice and professional person that doesn't have character flaws off the field and that's why every SEC fanbase loves him. But you can't get around the fact that he isn't a great in game coach when people like spurrier,Meyer, saban, tuberville, and even fulmer had more success with less talented teams than him. If you really want a good example look at 07 he got trounced by fulmer costing him a national championship when he had the best team in the country. Then he has a habit of getting destroyed by spurrier and Meyer.

He is probably a middle of the pack coach behind saban,Gus,spurrier,sumlin,pinkel, and miles

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
If CMR does decide to retire at UGA, he will probably be the winningest coach there with a chance of not having a NC to show for. He is only 76 games away from passing Dooley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
CMR seems like a very decent man from my view, which is admittedly a long distance one. He is able to coach well enough to produce winning teams in the SEC and consistently produce contenders, so UGA could do much worse for a head coach. If I had to pick a flaw, it would be that he seems unable to get his players to buy into his own personal conduct standards. I won't tear him up too much there, though, as many men with high personal standards are unable to translate them to their peers, subordinates, students, or even children. I do think his concern for his players (and others) is genuine.

Unusual thread, but interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.