Mark Richt is a good man

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I never had anything against him, I just always thought he was a much-less-than-stellar crunch-time coach. His players frequently played with an incomprehensible lack of discipline (worse than I ever saw at the barn).

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
He's just a good and decent man! It seems like you have a problem with him & I don't get it. Do I sense some jealousy?
Not at all. I'm fairly indifferent about CMR other than what I said. Might be a great guy but he's produced substandard results, imho, for the talent that he's had. TBH every time a UGA player comes up suspended/arrested it seems like that is the general TF consensus about him--that his lack of discipline is a contributing factor to his lack of hardware. Until I wandered in here anyways. Maybe I'm having an off day but I swear that about 90% of the posts in this thread could be painted blue and taken as patronizing sarcasm without changing a single word, lol.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yeah, remember that time he has his players deliberately get a penalty for unsportsmanlike behavior? He just oozes class. Or how about the time he suggested he had to be secretive about his practices to keep Saban from spying? He also doesn't seem to be that much of a disciplinarian...

Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't mind having a guy like him as a neighbor. But, I've never understand why people (in between his doing thing that make him seem less than classy), have a tendency to put him on a pedestal.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Well you know UGA fans just aren't used to winning the national championship in football. They did win one with arguably the best running back ever, but have never been back in the game. I don't know CMR's heart, but he seems like a good man. Championship coach? Not so much.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FWIW - I think all the SEC coaches are pretty good coaches and for the most part very decent human beings.

Makes me real proud to be in the SEC and to root for the SEC. ;)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
They never really seem to have an elite defense. In his 13 seasons they give up on average 263 points. Only once in 2004 have they held opponents under 200 with 198.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Mark Richt may be a good man, but when one of your players commits a senseless penalty (happens at least once a game in my experience) that hurts the team, I'd rather have a coach that will grab them by the facemask and unload about a pint of spit spatter interlaced with some choice words of "motivation" into their face. Richt usually just stands there with that vacant look on his face as the violator trots by. Maybe he really does care and he's just recounting his last conversation with the Dalai Lama to keep him from whipping out his brass knuckles and going to work.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Reminds me of a Coon Hound I had at one time.
That dog won't hunt...

IMO: If Georgia was just looking for a good man, they could have hired Father Flannagan much cheaper.
BUT...
Last time I looked Georgia thought they were hiring a great coach who would take them to the next level. (Swing and a miss...)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
They never really seem to have an elite defense. In his 13 seasons they give up on average 263 points. Only once in 2004 have they held opponents under 200 with 198.
They had a damned good D in 2008--In the Sugar Bowl, they pretty much did to Hawaii what we did to Michigan State. It was one of the reasons they were expected to contend for the national title in 2009.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They had a damned good D in 2008--In the Sugar Bowl, they pretty much did to Hawaii what we did to Michigan State. It was one of the reasons they were expected to contend for the national title in 2009.
Was the 2008 Sugar Bowl against Hawaii, but the 2008 season was the one with all the expectations - until the blackout that is.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There is something systemic about the UGA program that I dont generally lay all the blame on Richt. He's achieved about what they have customarily achieved honestly - maybe a little better - over the last 30 years. Simply put in a time when Atlanta was booming and the UA program was transitioning from Bryant UGA should have capitalized. The 80s should have been their decade to own. UF was not a threat during this time and neither was UT. Even LSU to the west was underperforming during the 80s. GaTech had Curry during part of this time too. Looking back there is simply no reason they shouldnt have dominated that decade and elevated their program based on the momentum built up with Dooley after 80 and 81. This just shows just how big of a moron Goff was and Donnan to a degree too. To me UGA has always been and always will be Texas Lite.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
What I'm observing here is that there really isn't much middle ground when it comes to Richt, people either seem to love him or hate him for some reason. Personally, I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. Yes, his team has had some issues, but that is just the state of D1 athletics no matter where you are. I think he is a bit too reserved on the sideline at times when it comes to discipline, but I appreciate the ethics and class in which he conducts himself. I would say if anything he's a great guy who lacks in the leadership department. At the end of the day, I like him a lot, but I am thankful that he will never be our coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.