Mark Richt is a good man

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the true stance you have to take is if hypothetically in 2007, if saban was off the table and only an older spurrier, who hadn't done jack by that time at USCe, and mark richt were on the table; who would you take?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the true stance you have to take is if hypothetically in 2007, if saban was off the table and only an older spurrier, who hadn't done jack by that time at USCe, and mark richt were on the table; who would you take?
Spurrier. Richts name wasn't even in the mix. It's never in the mix for any job, for a reason.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Think that's what happened to us last year? Coach Saban have a couple brain farts? Makes sense, really.
Sure he's a good man off the field, on the field, with the kinda talent he's had at Georgia & his team has consistently been stocked full of Blue Chip talent, as much so, as any football program in the country..As far as his coaching abilities, it's been non existence during the Richt Era at Georgia..His teams are stocked full of talent & it takes damned near coaching brain farts for them to lose a game or a lack of leadership from the HC to lose 3-4 games a year like has happened to a Richt HC'ed team..With the sheer amount of talent at Georgia every year, they will be stocked full of Blue Chipped home grown talent, I agree I hope Richt "The Saint" off the field stays at Georgia for another 20yrs..If they ever bring in a HC that can actually lock the States Top Talent down consistently every year..And a HC that can actually coach up that talent..Georgia has the pieces to the puzzle, that would allow them to become the best football program in the SEC, I hope Richt stays a long long long time & that "Sleeping Giant" remains asleep for the time being or until Richt retires from Georgia in about 20yrs..
I don't really think Bama was that "stacked" last year - there were some upper-class players who were never really as good consistently as expected (all defense except maybe 3 or 4 starters). Offensively, some players under-performed for various reasons; difference is, they won't do it again this year at Bama. At Georgia, it's an annual event. I don't really think the flub on the missed fg return can compare to the completed pass-deflection-that-should-have-been-knocked-down-on-fourth-down. JMO

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
My brother (who is also a Tide fan) hates CMR for reasons I don't understand. I've always thought fans either love him or hate him including Georgia's fans. My impression of him is that he is a genuinely good guy but I have to admit I don't know him personally. Anyone can present a favorable impression through media (assuming they've taken care of their business). As a coach however, either he is very unlucky or is just not a top-tier coach. I'd take the latter. He should easily have had a NC by now with the talent from that state -- that's even with our own CNS grabbing up a lot of State of Georgia recruits in the last few years. I think someone has it wrong... UGA fans would love to fire him since he has little to show -- the AD McGarrity is the one holding onto him. All that being said, I hope he retires there and smashes Vince Dooley's win record. I'm ok with the East remaining mediocre ;)

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Reminded of the old line... 'and good guys finish last'... Coach Richt is likely a good man, but is that enough in a football coach? I wonder how many Richt supporters still believe he can take Ga. to the next level?

Think back... Coach Saban told us his goals were for everyone to hate us, and no one would want to play us.
After the Shula era it sounded kind of far fetched, but CNS returned us to the glory years. (Quickly)
(He didn't do it by being Mr. Nice Guy)
It shocked the nation when Coach Saban turned around our program in record time. It shocked the nation when CNS was paid a salary that the pundits thought was extremely excessive. Everyone thought Mal had lost it when he went after Coach Saban.
The press still hates Coach Saban, fans of other schools still hate him, unless they are trying to lure him away from Alabama.

In answer to the unasked question... Coach Saban will never be a media favorite. He doesn't put up with foolish questions, or foolish reporters.
IMO: Coach Richt would waste his time and energy on non essentials, like foolish questions.
Probably why CMR is a media darling, and Coach Saban is likely the #1 coach in the country.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm perplexed as to why so many of you don't like Mark Richt.
i dont know mark richt and could'nt care less what type of "man" he is. all things considered, he's a pretty mediocre coach at a pretty mediocre program. i'm perplexed as to why so many non-georgia fans feel the need to bend over backwards to aver that mark richt is such a good man. the world is full of good men and women, and a lot of them actually do their jobs well.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Let's assume Mark Richt is a very good man. But let's also assume that a team is a reflection of its coach. The players of this good man can go half a season without showing discipline, sportsmanship or class.

Sorry RTR, but I have no animus toward Mark Richt the person. I do not like how his players behave on and off the field.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My question is this though... He may be a good coach but what if bama wasn't on probation in 02 and didn't lose prothro in 05 would richt still have a job with all the hot seat speculations every other year. Granted he beat us in overtime in 03 but if you take out the auburn game we were a better team late in the year.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I feel the same way. I'm still trying to figure out how he lost to Boise in 11 and Tennessee in 07. The ut game probably cost him a natty since he would've played a handicapped lsu in the SECCG with the hottest team in the nation, but he is a great guy.
LA-Monroe, Utah and Oklahoma come to mind. It happens.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LA-Monroe, Utah and Oklahoma come to mind. It happens.
The problem with compare those would be Utah and Oklahoma we had nothing to gain but everything to lose while those teams had the opposite. The la Monroe Idk, but then again saban lost to uab.
But richt got Boise 1st game of the season with way more talent and practically a home game.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
There is something systemic about the UGA program that I dont generally lay all the blame on Richt. He's achieved about what they have customarily achieved honestly - maybe a little better - over the last 30 years. Simply put in a time when Atlanta was booming and the UA program was transitioning from Bryant UGA should have capitalized. The 80s should have been their decade to own. UF was not a threat during this time and neither was UT. Even LSU to the west was underperforming during the 80s. GaTech had Curry during part of this time too. Looking back there is simply no reason they shouldnt have dominated that decade and elevated their program based on the momentum built up with Dooley after 80 and 81. This just shows just how big of a moron Goff was and Donnan to a degree too. To me UGA has always been and always will be Texas Lite.
Well UGA did win a NC in 1980. Bama and AU didn't even play for one during that decade. I agree though UGA has been like Texas in underachieving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
This is how myself and many people I talk with feel about Richt. Would gladly welcome him for a round of golf or dinner. Wish his team showed more class. Hard to pull of Ga because of it.
Let's assume Mark Richt is a very good man. But let's also assume that a team is a reflection of its coach. The players of this good man can go half a season without showing discipline, sportsmanship or class.

Sorry RTR, but I have no animus toward Mark Richt the person. I do not like how his players behave on and off the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.