Mark Richt is a good man

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I know y'all may feel differently, but there is no denying the true character that man posseses. The league is lucky to still have him.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I know y'all may feel differently, but there is no denying the true character that man posseses. The league is lucky to still have him.
I agree Riz. I think the man gets a bad rap.

What other coach out there sacrifices winning the way he does? If there's a bad apple on his team, he kicks them off. Auburn picks them up and gets a free pass while everyone criticizes Richt for recruiting thugs. Seems unfair to me. I'd like to hear what others have to say on the subject though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You know who didn't go play for this "high character" coach? The classiest player to ever play college football - Barrett Jones. That tells me all I need to know.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
You know who didn't go play for this "high character" coach? The classiest player to ever play college football - Barrett Jones. That tells me all I need to know.
I couldn't agree with you more RTR91! The kid was my favorite. A true Alabama man in every sense of the word!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I mean, people are all goo goo ga ga over Hugh Freeze. Hugh Freeze. The man spends all his time on nonsense like tweeting bass fishing pictures and paying recruits to come to Oxford. But he's held in higher regard? I don't get it.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I will never forget Richt visiting Prothro in the hospital and presenting him with the game ball. He may not be the best coach in the SEC, but he is a good man.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
One thing for sure, he has members of the media eating out of his hand. Pay attention to the type questions he was asked and compare them to the one's Coach Saban will get. The man needs to be a politician, he'd do well.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
One thing for sure, he has members of the media eating out of his hand. Pay attention to the type questions he was asked and compare them to the one's Coach Saban will get. The man needs to be a politician, he'd do well.
I know I'd vote for him! Just a great guy all around.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Richt is a good man by all accounts. He's not a bad coach either - though I'm sure most of us agree he's underachieved at UGA. I think Saban could have won 3-4 titles in the time Richt has been there.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm sure Mark Richt is a good man. But too often his team plays like punks. In fact, his Bowdenesque approach to discipline has led to a culture where just about anything goes in Athens on and off the field.

I'm glad we don't employ his style of leadership.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Richt is a good man by all accounts. He's not a bad coach either - though I'm sure most of us agree he's underachieved at UGA. I think Saban could have won 3-4 titles in the time Richt has been there.
There's no "Saban could have won 3-4 titles." He has won 4 titles while Richt has been in Athens.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I feel the same way. I'm still trying to figure out how he lost to Boise in 11 and Tennessee in 07. The ut game probably cost him a natty since he would've played a handicapped lsu in the SECCG with the hottest team in the nation, but he is a great guy.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'm aware of that. You may not be aware that you didn't specify Coach Saban had to be at UGA in your original post.
So if I was unclear you could have made one of two assumptions - 1)that I meant Saban would have won 3-4 titles at UGA during what has been Richt's tenure OR 2) I'm an Alabama fan posting on an Alabama forum and didn't know Nick Saban has 4 national titles.

You chose #2.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
This is going back a ways...

When Bill Curry was at Bama, he used to drive my sister (a Bama grad) crazy. Her beef was that he always looked like he was sucking his stomach in to look good for a picture. He looked and acted more like a nice sweater salesman than a hardnosed coach. You could always count on Curry, whether Bama was winning or losing, to have the perfect posture on the sidelines.

Richt reminds me of him.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
This thread is like wandering into a conversation 15 minutes after it started and wondering what got everybody talking about it in the 1st place. What's with CMR love fest? I'm sure he is a good man and takes care of his family...not that any of us know this for sure unless you live behind closed doors with the man. But as a coach, he's notoriously soft in the discipline area and it's cost him games, imho. And probably cost some of his players as well in terms of learning discipline. Add to that the fact that while he wins games in quantity he doesn't have much hardware to show for it and he is the Texas of the east, imho.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
With the amount of talent richt has had a uga and given the events we know that have transpired. If saban was at uga and not lsu, and he doesn't go pro, you could legitimately say he could have a natty in 2002,03,04,05,07,08,11,12, and 13. And how richt failed to get to one of those natty games at the very least is beyond me.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Richt is in the best place for him. He doesn't have the fire needed to take a national championship, but UGA's content to let him hang around in case he can back into one. Frankly, they could do a lot worse...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.