Question: Could kiffen have saved Tennessee or was he always destined to be a coordinator?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I guess with all streak threads it got me looking back at the games in the current streak and two games stand out... They are the 07 and of course the 09 game.

The 07 game was significant for three reasons 1. It was the last time they were favored against us ( for good reason since they thumped probably the best team at the end of the year UGA and we had to win on the last play of the game against Houston the week prior) 2.it was the beginning of the end of fulmer( it kinda seems like to succeed at rocky top you need to beat ua and uf often , and it seemed Meyer and saban would make fat phil their whipping boy) 3. It was the last time ut has won the east.
The game ended in a blowout. It made it seem they needed new blood in the organization because fulmer was seriously behind the times.
So in comes kiffen in 09 making every coach mad and tearing down the traditions of ut and bringing the west coast to rocky top and no one taking him serious, but he did A) make crompton a decent qb B) made an average defense under fulmer become a force to be reckoned with. C) he made ut do a complete 180 from what they were in 08. He was getting better recruits in his one year than what Dooley and fulmer did in the 5 years that they were there during the streak.
He left for USC before the Verdict could be read. and I know some say the proof has been proven because he couldn't save USC but I disagree because he did technically win the conference in 11, and he also did step into a horrible situation with the sanctions and Oregon/Stanford as the hip teams ob the west coast. But hypothetically if he stayed at UT would he had won the east, had enough success to keep his job, or ended the streak or is he just a coordinator for the rest of his career like it appears.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Could kiffen had saved Tennessee or was he always destined to be a coordinator?

Minus all the media drama he is the best coach they have had in the last 10 yrs including the last few years of the Fulmer era. He was never a good fit for UT personality wise. Plus he saw after one season how hard it was going to be to recruit there with a resurgent Bama, UF, and USC. Fulmer left the cupboard pretty bare and it was going to be difficult for kiffin to catch up.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Could kiffen had saved Tennessee or was he always destined to be a coordinator?

I think his motto "any attention is good attention" was a mistake. He let his ego get in the way of building a program with work rather than media stunts.

He's in the best place he could possibly be if has head coaching aspirations IMO. He can learn, if he's willing, from the best in the business about building a program the right way. I think he'll land a head coaching gig again if he's successful at Bama.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

not at the time.

he had a lot of growing up to do, and i suspect he still does.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I don't think so. His immaturity would have did him in just as it has at several stops. That is why I think a stop in Tuscaloosa as OC will do him some good and as well as us.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I don't think he is destined to be a coordinator. He just climbed the tree WAY too fast. He kept getting promotions without even having time to have any success. He never really got to learn how to be a head coach. If he can be content as a coordinator for 5 years and devote himself to learning from Saban and others, he'll probably make a good head coach sometime.
We talk about this problem with younger workers in the work force - wanting to climb the ladder immediately when they are often better off to take some time to learn by observing successful leaders.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

No, for reasons already given

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If he had stayed one more year, this team would've improved and could've had 8-4 season... Probably would've left after two years... But Kiffin will be much better coach this time.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I think Kiffin did about as good a job as could be expected at Tennessee and could have done a better job than what they've had since he left.

Tennessee's problems go beyond just who the head coach is so much as how well they can attract recruits to play there. Tennessee's biggest problem in recruiting is their past fertile recruiting grounds are under greater pressure than they've had to deal with for a long time, maybe ever. Tennessee has always had to go outside Tennessee to recruit because the in-state talent level is low.

Coach Saban's recruiting efforts all over the Southeast has really hurt Tennessee because he's now getting almost all of what they were able to get out of the Southeast plus USCe, Clemson and Georgia are doing a better job as well.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I remember that game In Tuscaloosa where the UT headphones kept shutting off, and Kiffin made such a big deal about Bama was overloading the circuits on that side of the field on purpose so that they couldn't communicate.. likened it to us cheating... Turns out there was a whole other board for them to plug stuff in, they just weren't paying attention lol Gotta love that guy (now that hes ours)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I don't think he is destined to be a coordinator. He just climbed the tree WAY too fast. He kept getting promotions without even having time to have any success. He never really got to learn how to be a head coach. If he can be content as a coordinator for 5 years and devote himself to learning from Saban and others, he'll probably make a good head coach sometime.
We talk about this problem with younger workers in the work force - wanting to climb the ladder immediately when they are often better off to take some time to learn by observing successful leaders.
I agree. Looks like that plum was plucked fore it's time.
LK was not mature enough at that time to lead a major program.
LK has the skills, now he's being seasoned in fire at Alabama.
If LK comes thru Alabama intact, he will have the seasoning to know how to handle problems with grace. There is much to learn from CNS.
In particular I expect Coach Saban to teach Lane how to get over himself...
IMO: LK will likely become a good head coach.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

CNS will teach Kiffin what Monte couldnt or wouldnt teach his own son. To me the only thing he is missing is a healthy dose of humility and respect and little less of a know it all attitude. He has all the other intangibles to make a great coach someday.

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
My opinion on Kiffin may ruffle some feathers, but here goes:

I really think Kiffin's youthful arrogance was too strong for a stage as big as UT. He was only 34 at the time, and a program like UT required special attention that a 34 year old may not have quite mastered yet. He also didn't have the blessing of any well-respected HC of any stature. I think with time, and a little guidance from someone like CNS, Kiffin could be a very good HC for a very long time.

The remainder of this post may be shocking and unsettling for some...just a forewarning.

Nick Saban is 63 years old, and that Georgia lake is gonna get really tempting to him in the next 5 years (if not sooner, depending on our success). I honestly believe that Nick Saban brought Kiffin in to groom him to be a bonafide college HC, and this is his way of providing Alabama with an option of his replacement. Not a recommendation...but an option.

Personally, as a fan who's endured the grueling post-Stallings/pre-Saban era, I feel it's a nice gesture on Saban's behalf, and wouldn't mind one bit if Kiffin replaced Saban at some point down the line, IF he's matured enough to handle the job.

Feel free to throw tomatoes :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.