Question: Could kiffen have saved Tennessee or was he always destined to be a coordinator?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
My opinion on Kiffin may ruffle some feathers, but here goes:

I really think Kiffin's youthful arrogance was too strong for a stage as big as UT. He was only 34 at the time, and a program like UT required special attention that a 34 year old may not have quite mastered yet. He also didn't have the blessing of any well-respected HC of any stature. I think with time, and a little guidance from someone like CNS, Kiffin could be a very good HC for a very long time.

The remainder of this post may be shocking and unsettling for some...just a forewarning.

Nick Saban is 63 years old, and that Georgia lake is gonna get really tempting to him in the next 5 years (if not sooner, depending on our success). I honestly believe that Nick Saban brought Kiffin in to groom him to be a bonafide college HC, and this is his way of providing Alabama with an option of his replacement. Not a recommendation...but an option.

Personally, as a fan who's endured the grueling post-Stallings/pre-Saban era, I feel it's a nice gesture on Saban's behalf, and wouldn't mind one bit if Kiffin replaced Saban at some point down the line, IF he's matured enough to handle the job.

Feel free to throw tomatoes :biggrin2:
I'd be surprised if Kiffin stays longer than three years at Bama. If he does well, he will get another shot at being a head coach. If he doesn't, then three years still seems about right.

He just doesn't seem to be a long termer like Kirby Smart, but then I've never met him so I'm only guessing. Maybe he will do real well, like being a coordinator under Saban, and hang around long-term.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I'll be frank -- I was not (and am not) real fired up about Kiffin's hiring as OC. Kiffin does some things well, but IMO playcalling is generally not one of them.

As far as I'm concerned, he's basically a more brash, outspoken, controversial version of Mike Shula with better recruiting chops.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I do not have the slightest bit of concern about all of the extracirricular stuff while he's at UA, but I am very concerned about him derailing our offense. I know Nick thinks highly of him, but it's also generally acknowledged that Nick hires assistants based first and foremost on their recruiting accumen. Nick's not infallible when it comes to hiring offensive assistants...see Major Applewhite.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'll be frank -- I was not (and am not) real fired up about Kiffin's hiring as OC. Kiffin does some things well, but IMO playcalling is generally not one of them.

As far as I'm concerned, he's basically a more brash, outspoken, controversial version of Mike Shula with better recruiting chops.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I do not have the slightest bit of concern about all of the extracirricular stuff while he's at UA, but I am very concerned about him derailing our offense. I know Nick thinks highly of him, but it's also generally acknowledged that Nick hires assistants based first and foremost on their recruiting accumen. Nick's not infallible when it comes to hiring offensive assistants...see Major Applewhite.
Doesn't really matter what you and I think. CNS is the man that makes the decisions and I'll continue to agree with and support him as long as he's here. I think you are selling CLK as well as Major Applewhite a little bit short but it matters not. We are sitting on the couch while CNS is on the field making the decisions and might I add, doing a pretty danged good job at it.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
I tend to give him some benefit of the doubt. At Tenn. Fulmer had not left a great deal of talent. The state of Tenn. does not produce a massive amount of talent & between CNS & U. Meyer he had little chance. Before that, "da Raiders" (apologies to Cosell), where the owner was at least senile, maybe worse. USC was a no win, cuts in scholarships etc. All that put together doesn't leave room for much. Still, the jury is certainly out on his head coaching skills.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
While the jury is still out on Kiffin, his body of work is much bigger than applewhites. As an OC, USC had 8 games of 50+ points and a heisman winning RB. I also must add than when CNS was hired it was mid January, late in the hiring cycle for that year , recruiting was wrapping up and the staff was put together rather quickly. CMA was young and had a great offense at Rice.
As for staff hires , Nick has been pretty good. He has hired the likes of Fisher Muschamp, D'antoni , and coach Mac. I think Lane's philosophy on offense is a much better fit with Nick's than applewhites .
I didn't like the hire at first either, but after the A day game, I am on board

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I think if Kiffin had stayed at UT, they would have been stronger than what they got with Dooley, but the NCAA wouldn't have been far behind.

Then again, NCAA punishments have been a cross between wheel of fortune and Russian roulette over the last few years, so nobody really knows.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I agree with graydogg and not just because we have the same first name. I am not sure Kiffen is HC material although a PAC 12 type team or mid major might hire him. IMO Tennessee would have been better at the time, but the NCAA would have taken up permanent residence in Knoxville. Just not a fan of Lane Kiffen at Alabama or anywhere else.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think if Kiffin had stayed at UT, they would have been stronger than what they got with Dooley, but the NCAA wouldn't have been far behind.
To be fair, Pearl is the coach that brought the NCAA down on ut, not Kiffin. IIRC, Kiffin's staff has six secondary violations in his year there - that's a relatively small number.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kiffin's "violations problem" was a poop storm created by a rabidus desire to see him fail after he came in and smack talked everyone in the SEC.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

In the other hand see Jumbo Fisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, regardless of the past, I hope he turns out to be the best offensive coordinator in the history of Alabama football. He's on our team now, and we need to support him 100%.
If Coach Saban didn't think we needed him, he wouldn't have hired him.
I'm not going to argue with that.
sip

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Well, regardless of the past, I hope he turns out to be the best offensive coordinator in the history of Alabama football. He's on our team now, and we need to support him 100%.
If Coach Saban didn't think we needed him, he wouldn't have hired him.
I'm not going to argue with that.
sip
I agree. Like him, or not like him does not matter now. He is our offensive coordinator, and it is our duty to pull for him 100% :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.