Parker McLeod has found a home at Western Kentucky (2016 Update - Walks-On at UGA)

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Parker McLeod is heading to Western Kentucky to compete for a starting job. SCORE Atlanta was first to report the transfer news, via Twitter. The report was later confirmed by Bowling Green Daily News.

"Former Walton quarterback Parker McLeod transferred from Alabama earlier this offseason and will be attending Western Kentucky"

Best of luck to him

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Re: Parker McLeod has found a home at Western Kentucky

Best of luck, Parker. I hope the good folks in Kentucky will pardon us if we holler "Roll Tide" when you throw a touchdown.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Let's see if I got this right.

Jimmy Barnes - Weber State & Arizona State (Backup at Weber State & never took a snap at ASU)
Nick Fanuzzi - Rice (Decent starter for 3 years at Rice)
Star Jackson - Georgia State (backup at GSU before quitting football)
Phillip Sims - Virginia & Winston Salem State (backup at UVA & probable starter at WSSU this season)
Phillip Ely - Toledo (Battling for a starting spot for 2014)
Luke Del Rio - Oregon State (Ruled eligible to play in 2014, but will be a backup, no one is unseating Manion this year)
Parker McCleod - Western Kentucky (Must sit out 2014)

So 7 transfers? Sounds bad but lets look at the stats. Take out Fanuzzi and here are the career stats for all of our QB transfers combined:

142-280 (50.7% completion percentage) 1,602 yards, 11 TD & 9 INT.

These guys just seem to flounder once they leave our system. Some of these guys left on bad terms, but I really hope Sims, Ely, Del Rio & McCleod end up with doing well for themselves despite what history has shown.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Jimmy Barnes - Weber State & Arizona State (Backup at Weber State & never took a snap at ASU)
Phillip Sims - Virginia & Winston Salem State (backup at UVA & probable starter at WSSU this season)
Luke Del Rio - Oregon State (Ruled eligible to play in 2014, but will be a backup, no one is unseating Manion this year)

So 7 transfers? Sounds bad but lets look at the stats. Take out Fanuzzi and here are the career stats for all of our QB transfers combined:

These guys just seem to flounder once they leave our system. Some of these guys left on bad terms, but I really hope Sims, Ely, Del Rio & McCleod end up with doing well for themselves despite what history has shown.
Who left on bad terms?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Who left on bad terms?
Barnes bad-mouthed us good bit in the media (which, of course, lapped it up), if you will recall, and, even though it didn't necessarily spill over publicly, I don't think the departures of either Jackson or Sims exactly endeared us to them, so to speak.

Still, though, all of that aside, there is nothing egregious here. You always have tremendous amount of attrition at the QB position, regardless of school and regardless of offensive scheme, and there is really nothing we have had during Saban's tenure that is any way out of the ordinary in that respect.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

These guys just seem to flounder once they leave our system.
That's fundamentally true, but only a half truth, because these guys also largely floundered in our system, too, which is why they transferred out in the first place. None of those guys would have ever been anything more than depth chart fodder, even if they had exhausted all five years of college eligibility in Tuscaloosa.

The reality of it is that there is simply no getting around the fact that most quarterback signees will be complete swings-and-misses, and there is just nothing unusual about that happening.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Phillip Ely should have an excellent shot at the Toledo QB position. Their roster shows 3 Fr, 1 rFR, and 1 SO in addition to ELY. If he makes it, he won't even get his uniform dirty this season. Here's why:

"-When it came to protecting the quarterback and not allowing TFL’s, the Toledo offensive line was by far the best in the country ranking #1 in both as they incredibly only allowed 6 sacks last year despite being a pro-style offense. This year they return 9 of their top 10 guys (100 career starts) and are one of the best OL’s in the country." - Phil Steele

Edit: Found this on Toledo site.

"Listed as co-No. 1 at quarterback on spring depth chart...Completed 17-of-30 passes for 220 yards and two TDs to lead Blue team to a 20-7 in the spring scrimmage."

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209433469&DB_OEM_ID=18000

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Reports out of Kentucky that Parker is no longer enrolled at WKU.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

Unfortunate about all of these QB transfers but it is the nature of college QB's that don't find the playing field early in their career. That goodness Blake Sims stuck around - a lesson could be learned there by all QB's who want to transfer.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I am still of the opinion that someone needs to advise these high school recruits that landing the starting QB spot at elite programs is a long shot. If they want PT or want to be a starter they should probably look at mid majors or the FCS level. I know they are all competitive, but a little counseling from someone they trust and knows football needs to advise them.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Let me start over... It seems that Qbs that transferred out of Alabama dont' typically do well.... That tells me CNS is pretty good figuring out who's whos... out of all Qbs.. Ely and De Rio has good chance to be a starter.

These guys just seem to flounder once they leave our system. Some of these guys left on bad terms, but I really hope Sims, Ely, Del Rio & McCleod end up with doing well for themselves despite what history has shown.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Unfortunate about all of these QB transfers but it is the nature of college QB's that don't find the playing field early in their career. That goodness Blake Sims stuck around - a lesson could be learned there by all QB's who want to transfer.
And yet you never hear about their coaches "running off" players to sneakily gain more access to college scholarships so they can place the 60 players they "over sign" on NSD.

Rolling Eyes

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Georgia adds former Alabama QB to roster

Georgia has added a second walk-on its quarterback group. Walton High School product and former Alabama signal caller Parker McLeod has joined the Bulldogs football team as a walk on.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound signal caller announced his intentions to transfer from Alabama in May of 2014 and elected to enroll at Western Kentucky. He then transferred out of the Hilltopper program in January of 2015. He spent the 2015 season as a regular student at UGA, working on his degree in Finance.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Kirby wasn't kidding when he talked about implementing the process from Alabama lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The key sentence in the article is the one in which it points out that McLeod was a student at GA in 2015. It seems that he had left football in his past until this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.