SEC Pre(diction) Season: Texas A&M

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
I like the OP's predictions except maybe for the LSU game in late November.
This should be one very exciting game with both teams coming in after a long layoff.
The fact they're playing at Kyle field may give the Aggies an advantage.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I like aTm to beat South Carolina to open the season depending on the level of quarterback play. Kyle Allen has the potential to be one of the best young quarterbacks in the country, and he will have the tools on offense to give him every opportunity. They still have a great O-line, two of the best receivers in the SEC, and a better running game than people give them credit for. I don't think their offense will take much of a step back, and that will keep them in a lot of ball games. They'll be involved in more than a few shootouts this year due to their lack of defense, but I think they have the mentality to be able to pull them out. I would say they win 8-9 games and finish 4th in the SEC behind us, LSU and Auburn

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
@ South Carolina - L
vs Lamar - W
vs Rice - W
@ SMU - W
vs Arkansas - W
@ Miss St - L
vs Ole Miss - W
@ Bama - L
vs La-Monroe - W
@ Auburn - L
vs Mizzou - W
vs LSU - L

7-5 is my prediction. There WILL be a drop off in QB production and their defense will still be bad.
WMack may be right. I like the way he thinks about that Arkansas game, but I do think they'll beat the Hogs @ aTm. However, I'm going with Bamabuzzard. I think the Mittittippi Tate Cowbells will beat them and the Barn Plainspeople will score some points on them (maybe in the 40's) and beat them.

If they beat USCe, then I just may change my mind.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I like aTm to beat South Carolina to open the season depending on the level of quarterback play. Kyle Allen has the potential to be one of the best young quarterbacks in the country, and he will have the tools on offense to give him every opportunity. They still have a great O-line, two of the best receivers in the SEC, and a better running game than people give them credit for. I don't think their offense will take much of a step back, and that will keep them in a lot of ball games. They'll be involved in more than a few shootouts this year due to their lack of defense, but I think they have the mentality to be able to pull them out. I would say they win 8-9 games and finish 4th in the SEC behind us, LSU and Auburn
I think we can expect A&M's offense to score points - that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be unstoppable like the previous two seasons. The defense will be the deciding factor. If the defense is decent, they can win some games many don't expect them to. The USCe game is one of those. The defense will have to slow down Dylan Thompson, the USCe WRs and Mike Davis. Not sure they can do that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Unless they catch someone or have the second coming of JF they won't be able to stop us,auburn,or mizzou at scoring or put up enough to beat USCe,lsu,ole miss,or MSU.

I think everyone thinks The Mississippi schools are overated, and maybe they are, but they are stacked at the right areas to wreck havoc on aTm(the lines)

As for Mizzou... I think the 1st season they were better than their record looked (Franklin got hurt mid season) I think they would've been an 8 or 9 win team if it didn't happen. They are better than what people are labeling them,and their defense will be one of the better defenses this year. Plus how in the world will aTm stop matty mauk.

I'll say at best aTm will be 6-6 at worst 4-8 if they find a way to lose to Arkansas

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I honestly don't know, and could make legitimate arguments for better and worse records.

Historically, aTm has had flashes of success, but sputtered when trying to sustain it. The fan base, God bless them, is forever talking about their improved facilities, some group of all-world recruits, incredible monetary support, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Then there's a long sad shaggy dog story about why it doesn't pan out. Kudos for perpetual optimism. But at some point you gotta prove you can overcome the player and staff turnover that's just inevitable in college football.

To date, they have shown zero ability to do that.

As the OP stated, we'll find out what kind of coach Sumlin is without a QB who can freelance his way over any coaching or game plan deficiencies. Note that even with a guy like that, they still lost four games. Also, remember that Sumlin had a record-setting QB at Houston. That kid (whose name escapes me) is the real one who got him the job at aTm.

I'm not convinced Sumlin isn't the product of two players. If he matches last year's record with this year's team, and improves on that in 2015, I'll be a believer. I just think it's impossible to know at this point.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Also, remember that Sumlin had a record-setting QB at Houston. That kid (whose name escapes me) is the real one who got him the job at aTm.
Case Keenum

I agree - the jury is still out on Sumlin's coaching ability. I think he's a good coach. He was good but not great while have the latest-greatest 'best ever' player...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sumlin seems competent. He's been successful his whole career. His issue appears to be a defense that simply can't get right.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Having A&M beat Auburn without Johnny is a pretty bold prediction. I'd love to see it but their defense will need to be worlds better. A&M is a team that needs their QB to be a real aggressive playmaker--they ask a lot more of their QB than we do. For me it all hinges on how well their QB does and if their defense can get stops. I'm predicting 7-5. I think they'll lose to Auburn and Ole Miss but beat Arkansas.
I've watched Sumlin's teams for a few years, dating back to the Houston era, and I'm not sure that this is necessarily the case. Sumlin runs a variant of the Mike Leach / Hal Mumme "Air Raid" offense, which is actually a fairly QB-friendly offense. Manziel's antics at A&M were mostly improvised and probably made it appear that the offense puts a huge burden on the QB making plays with his legs, but this really isn't the case for what Sumlin prefers to run. Keep in mind some of the guys that Leach had at Texas Tech that threw for 4,000 yards -- guys like Hodges that wouldn't crack the three-deep at most SEC schools. Sumlin's offense is essentially the same system. I think you'll see A&M continue to be pretty productive on offense, regardless of who lines up at QB. As long as they've got speed at WR and good line play (which they should this season), they'll be hard to defend.

Now, the defense is another story altogether. I agree that they'll be 7-5 or worse, but it will be almost entirely due to that abhorrent defense.

hokiefan10

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 17, 2013
@ South Carolina - W
vs Lamar - W
vs Rice - W
@ SMU - W
vs Arkansas - W
@ Miss St - W
vs Ole Miss - L
@ Bama - L
vs La-Monroe - W
@ Auburn - L
vs Mizzou - W
vs LSU - L

I see A&M going into Columbia and shocking so folks. I follow SC semi closely and their secondary will be pretty bad this year, Dylan Thompson is no where near as good as Shaw was (go look at him vs Mizzou 2013). A&M will put up points, if they can contain the run then they can win at SC. Plus I think people are really underestimating them. I will call a loss vs Ole Miss, Bo wallace is a veteran QB and I think ole miss will surprise a few this year. Loss to Bama and Auburn, just two different levels right now. Mizzou is a toss up but since its at home, Ill give it to them, Missouri is a dark horse in the east, they won the east last year and have an outstanding QB in Maty Mauk stepping in. I think they could win it again if it plays out and Georgia FL and SC all eliminate each other basically. and LSU, haven't followed them closely but know their recruiting has been going well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mizzou is a toss up but since its at home, Ill give it to them, Missouri is a dark horse in the east, they won the east last year and have an outstanding QB in Maty Mauk stepping in. [/COLOR]
To be honest I think people are still in disbelief about mizzou and calling them a fluke team while raising up aTm because they have been a thorn in our side for two years, but the truth is that sumlin has lived and died off a freak qb( keenum and JF) his whole career and ran in to athletic defenses such as LSU,UF, and USM that have derailed his championship hopes.
Pinkel on the other hand, has quietly built an above average defense year and year out in his career and has recruited what he has needed to succeed on offense. His problem is when he runs into behemoths like us or Oklahoma the talent gap is too much. In 12 they probably were a 3 loss team if Franklin didn't go down and while people say they were lucky in 13, take into account people were also saying they wouldn't survive an UGA team even without Gurley, a Florida team with Driskel in Columbia, and couldn't stop Johnny to claim the east. If they didn't lose Franklin in the UGA game they are probably an undefeated team going into the SECCG so how is that luck in the face of misfortune. Matty Mauk was great in the UGA and UF game and was ok in the USCe game

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
@ South Carolina - L
vs Lamar - W
vs Rice - W
@ SMU - W
vs Arkansas - W
@ Miss St - W
vs Ole Miss - W
@ Bama - L
vs La-Monroe - W
@ Auburn - L
vs Mizzou - W
vs LSU - L

IMHO, because A&M has a different style QB they may actually be better than some might think this year. At least in terms of consistency. I don't think they'll shock anyone but I do think the hype machine will run full force in Texas if they are 6-1 and top 15 coming into the Alabama game before finishing a likely 2-3 over their last 5 games. Those 3 scrimmages after USCe should help them gain some confidence and works any kinks on both sides of the ball. They could be good in 2015, though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know if I'm buying it, but I'll take the Piggies beating TAMU and then TAMU turning around and upsetting the Barners.

Hope you are correct on both predictions!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think they will be a lot more "structured" offensively this season. It may help them in some ways. It's hard to lose that kind of playmaker and not hurt a bit.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
If aTm goes into SC and the offense appears to be clicking on all cylinders as last year, I see this team winning 8 games. If the D appears like it can slow teams down, I see them as a 9 or 10 win team. If the O struggles vs SC, 5-7 wins depending on how good/bad the D plays.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
<snip>

Why they'll be bad:
- ridiculously Porous defense
- can incumbent QB replace Manziel's ability to mask deficiencies in offense

Schedule prediction:

@ South Carolina - L
vs Lamar - W
vs Rice - W
@ SMU - W
vs Arkansas - L
@ Miss St - W
vs Ole Miss - W
@ Bama - L
vs La-Monroe - W
@ Auburn - W
vs Mizzou - W
vs LSU - L

<snip>

Your thoughts?
Agree with most of your summary and comments. Would love to see them beat the OBC but yeah that probably won't happen. Now, I'm not high on aTm to be honest but I don't see how they lose to the Hogs. I think Bielema will be on the hot-seat after this season easily. I do expect aTm to lose to Miss St, Auburn and possibly Mizzou. I'm thinking more like 7-5. Anything they do above that will be gravy in my view. I'm not saying Sumlin is bad but I've not seen him win without JF just yet. And -- their defense is simply terrible. They were never in contention one bit last year even with JF.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.