Alabama might implement 2-quarterback system in 2014

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've just never been a fan of these "special packages." Too much can go wrong because these units aren't use to the game when they come in.
I'm not either but I would rather that scenario than a full blown two QB system. And what I was talking about would really just be changing out the QB for those plays. Presumably all the other normal players would remain. Maybe just some read/speed option or QB run/pass option plays. If we were to do that we would need to do it all season long so, as you said, the rest of the players have a feel for playing with BS in an actual game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not either but I would rather that scenario than a full blown two QB system. And what I was talking about would really just be changing out the QB for those plays. Presumably all the other normal players would remain. Maybe just some read/speed option or QB run/pass option plays. If we were to do that we would need to do it all season long so, as you said, the rest of the players have a feel for playing with BS in an actual game.
I see. But if we assume JC might be the starter and better passer, I just don't think BS could add that much of a new/improved option as a runner or passer. Maybe a slightly better runner, but Jake Coker is basically Tim Tebow when he runs; pretty fast and powerful.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I see. But if we assume JC might be the starter and better passer, I just don't think BS could add that much of a new/improved option as a runner or passer. Maybe a slightly better runner, but Jake Coker is basically Tim Tebow when he runs; pretty fast and powerful.
Yea I agree. I'm 100% on the Coker train but if BS were to play that's how I think he would be most effective.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yea I agree. I'm 100% on the Coker train but if BS were to play that's how I think he would be most effective.
If you are correct that BS could be used in certain situations, I think it might only be because CNS wouldn't want his starter (assuming Coker) to run designed running plays for fear he might be more prone to injury. Not saying Coker won't ever run, but if he's our starter I'd be surprised if he's used like Nick Marshall or, better comparision, Tim Tebow. So yeah, that might be how BS sees a few special plays as a runner.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you are correct that BS could be used in certain situations, I think it might only be because CNS wouldn't want his starter (assuming Coker) to run designed running plays for fear he might be more prone to injury. Not saying Coker won't ever run, but if he's our starter I'd be surprised if he's used like Nick Marshall or, better comparision, Tim Tebow. So yeah, that might be how BS seems a few special plays as a runner.
Agree. I think if it is coker it will be like ben roethlisburger play extender type thing not true runner.

numbersman

1st Team
Jun 28, 2001
Montgomery, Al U.S.A.
That is what I have said several times. If BS could have contributed offensively to help us win games he would have played some significant snaps at some point in 4 years. It seems someone will always say, "Well CNS and company don't want to show what he can do so that other teams won't be able to prepare for it." Whether BS runs a wildcat package or read option package or whatever, it is not going to be something that hasn't been seen before. I'm just glad the season starts in a little over than a month so we will at least have something more concrete to base our opinions of this subject on.
Sims certainly deserves a good shot. He will play some regardless of who strts, imo.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.