Alabama might implement 2-quarterback system in 2014

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Sounds like they might have a package of plays for special situations--goal line, short yardage, etc. Maybe a Wildcat formation w/ Coker at QB and Sims at WR motioning at the snap...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
"It's not something that I would hope would happen," Saban said Thursday at SEC Media Days, referring to the possibility of running a two-quarterback system. "Is it something that I can totally rule out? Not really, because I think the skill set of Blake Sims can create problems for a defense.
Saban's response sounds similar to how I might answer if someone asked me, "Will you die in a car accident tonight?"

"Is it something I can rule out? Not really, because I think crazy drivers out there can create problems for me."

I'm not counting on a 2-QB system.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
For the most part, I doubt it happens, and it's probably quite a bad idea if it does to any extended amount.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Just why would Coach Saban stand in front of the media and "rule out" anything? I bet he doesn't hand out copies of the playbook and a depth chart either.:rolleye2:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I personally do not like QB by committee.
I like anything that our coach uses to help us win a game.

Unless it's a 56 yard field goal attempt by a freshman kicker with 1 second remaining, while we have a 5th year, 2 time NC winning QB and a group of outstanding WR's wasting time sitting on the bench, instead of being on the field to try a much less risky (and much more easily executable) 39 yard TD pass..... I guess he's not perfect, although he's the best out there.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Saban's response sounds similar to how I might answer if someone asked me, "Will you die in a car accident tonight?"
To me, I read two things into that. Once is what a lot of us knew all along, that Saban likes what he can do. The second, is what a lot of us suspected, that Coker is guy that Alabama hopes to go with. His defense of using Sims, to me makes it sound like they are leaning towards Coker.

Having said that, there's been speculation all along about Blame Sims running some sort of run oriented package at QB. Some of us speculated the only reason that didn't happen was you just didn't want to take the ball out of AJ's hands. But, Coker is even less experienced than Sims.

I think there could be some confusion here in terms of an actual two QB system, a relatively even split and wildcat type scenario. A lot of teams ran the wildcat, but no one got confused into thinking that the running back was the team's QB, or it was a battle for the position. I think Blame Sims role could fall a little along those lines.

I can imagine specific scenarios during the game in which you'd want Sims in, where his running ability could provide a different type of attack. Mainly though, I imagine seeing more of him in situations in which Alabama wants to preserve a lead. You can bring him in earlier, than you might have last year, let him do a run oriented attack and finish off the other team for example. I do see Sims as an asset, even though I don't think he's going to become the starter.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Here's pretty much how I feel. Under the assumption that Coker and Sims are the only real threats to be the starter and if Coker is even remotely as good as we hope and the defense is vastly improved then Coker will start and our upside is 10+ wins. If Sims wins the job we will be lucky to finish 6-6 to 7-5...maybe 8-4 at best. If they are a 50/50 committee together then same thing 6-6 to 7-5.

Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell all give us the best chance to win more than 8-9 games. Sims is a GREAT teammate and extremely talented athlete but he's just not a Pocket Passing QB. He would do great in the type of Offense that AU ran last year but we don't do that. We need Coker to pan out and be the clear #1.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

"Is it something I can rule out? Not really, because I think crazy drivers out there can create problems for me."

I'm not counting on a 2-QB system.
If you read between the lines on his comments, I don't think he's counting on Blake being the starter. But he does seem open to having a package for him. That's not a 2-QB system any more than running the wildcat is. Sounds good to me.

The total quote on that: "It's not something that I would hope would happen," Saban said Thursday at SEC Media Days, referring to the possibility of running a two-quarterback system. "Is it something that I can totally rule out? Not really, because I think the skill set of Blake Sims can create problems for a defense.

"If we wanted to utilize him to do that in some kind of way, I guess you could say that we could possibly have a two-quarterback system."

It doesn't sound like he is leaning on that "skill set" to be in play the majority of the game. Does anyone else come away with that notion?

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Sounds good to me.
Eh, maybe, maybe not. If the rest of our base offense works as hoped -- and in particular the power running game in short-yardage situations -- I would hope we wouldn't have to resort to those measures to move the chains and put points on the board. And if you can do those things anyway, I feel like packages like the Wildcat just break your routine and continuity more than anything else.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Eh, maybe, maybe not. If the rest of our base offense works as hoped -- and in particular the power running game in short-yardage situations -- I would hope we wouldn't have to resort to those measures to move the chains and put points on the board. And if you can do those things anyway, I feel like packages like the Wildcat just break your routine and continuity more than anything else.
I don't disagree, but it's a good weapon to have. I was glad to have such an option vs South Carolina a few years ago (Mark Ingram). :biggrin2:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I really hate SEC media days under CNS. It's a lot of dodging questions and leaving a month long speculations on who makes the roster. I mean yesterday after his comments about the qb , we got reports that the whole team is behind sims and coker isn't doing well In 7 on 7 drills then we have other "reliable" sources saying the exact opposite.
As for the dual qb system... Highly doubtful people tend to label coker a true pocket passer but vastly underestimate his speed, I think if coker wins the job sims could be a utility player.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
If you read between the lines on his comments, I don't think he's counting on Blake being the starter. But he does seem open to having a package for him. That's not a 2-QB system any more than running the wildcat is. Sounds good to me.

The total quote on that: "It's not something that I would hope would happen," Saban said Thursday at SEC Media Days, referring to the possibility of running a two-quarterback system. "Is it something that I can totally rule out? Not really, because I think the skill set of Blake Sims can create problems for a defense.

"If we wanted to utilize him to do that in some kind of way, I guess you could say that we could possibly have a two-quarterback system."

It doesn't sound like he is leaning on that "skill set" to be in play the majority of the game. Does anyone else come away with that notion?
This! I've been hearing the coaches have been very pleased with Coker but we wont know until the season arrives how it will play out. My only concern, because both are capable, is because Blake has been such a team guy and is very popular, it may cause some division on the team. The best guy will play no matter who it is, be it Blake, Jacob or one of the young guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.