If you Carry a weapon , what do you carry?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I concealed carried a handgun back during the crack cocaine epidemic of the late 80's early 90's. It gave me a good deal of comfort. Wore it to work everyday.
I just don't feel I need it right now.

The Madison County Sheriff used to mail a card that you signed and mailed back with the $10 fee. Your renewed permit was mailed back to you. I let mine lapse and got a permit last year and found out they no longer mail out the card. I thought they told me they would email a reminder. Guess not. Looked at my permit the other day and it expired 3 months ago. Now I have to go through the whole thing again. Darn it.
Things have changed majorly with the Patriot Act. Sheriffs (unless they know you personally, in which case some things slide a bit) have to do a background check, whether it's a new permit or a lapsed on. They can take 30 days and I hear they frequently do. BTW, I'd suggest the extra $10 per year for the laminated version with the photo on it. That can come in very handy, if you're checked in a reciprocity state...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Things have changed majorly with the Patriot Act. Sheriffs (unless they know you personally, in which case some things slide a bit) have to do a background check, whether it's a new permit or a lapsed on. They can take 30 days and I hear they frequently do. BTW, I'd suggest the extra $10 per year for the laminated version with the photo on it. That can come in very handy, if you're checked in a reciprocity state...

In Georgia, it takes about half a day to apply for a CCW. Cost is around $80 depending on county. Start out at the clerks office of probate court in your county . Do paperwork, get a picture taken(all GA license are laminated with pic), then to sheriffs office for fingerprinting . License comes in mail in about 2 weeks. Kicker is if there is a holdup and you are not approved there is no refund, even if the mistake is a government mix up.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I concealed carried a handgun back during the crack cocaine epidemic of the late 80's early 90's. It gave me a good deal of comfort. Wore it to work everyday.
I just don't feel I need it right now.

The Madison County Sheriff used to mail a card that you signed and mailed back with the $10 fee. Your renewed permit was mailed back to you. I let mine lapse and got a permit last year and found out they no longer mail out the card. I thought they told me they would email a reminder. Guess not. Looked at my permit the other day and it expired 3 months ago. Now I have to go through the whole thing again. Darn it.
I went Monday to get mine renewed. Couldn't mail it in because they now require a new application. Morgan County lets you get it for five years so I paid $100 to get it valid through 2019. It used to be yearly renewal. I guess all counties are similar?

alabiker

Nov 14, 2013
I think mine was 35.00 a year for 1-5 years here in Baldwin County.

My EDC is a G36 in 45 acp. When I camp on my motorcycle I carry it and a 32 gun in my pocket for fun.

My nightstand holds a Ruger P97DC also in 45 acp, and about 3 steps away in my closet is a loaded Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I went Monday to get mine renewed. Couldn't mail it in because they now require a new application. Morgan County lets you get it for five years so I paid $100 to get it valid through 2019. It used to be yearly renewal. I guess all counties are similar?
Madison is the same. I'm surprised that Baldwin is so much higher, for a basically rural county. Must be a local act for revenue...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In Georgia, it takes about half a day to apply for a CCW. Cost is around $80 depending on county. Start out at the clerks office of probate court in your county . Do paperwork, get a picture taken(all GA license are laminated with pic), then to sheriffs office for fingerprinting . License comes in mail in about 2 weeks. Kicker is if there is a holdup and you are not approved there is no refund, even if the mistake is a government mix up.
Simpler here, but usually more than two weeks in Madison County. If you know the sheriff, the background check goes a little faster. I've never understood why, when you go to buy a weapon, the federal background check is done in about ten minutes and it can take the sheriff's office up to 30 days (their maximum legal limit)...

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
it is amazing that the state of md thinks protecting money is a good reason for cc but protecting your life isnt (unless harm is absolutely imminent).

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Simpler here, but usually more than two weeks in Madison County. If you know the sheriff, the background check goes a little faster. I've never understood why, when you go to buy a weapon, the federal background check is done in about ten minutes and it can take the sheriff's office up to 30 days (their maximum legal limit)...
Simple and quick in Mobile.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Simple and quick in Mobile.
I think it's strictly up to the individual sheriff's office as to how much in the way of resources he (or she, for Morgan County) wants to devote to it. One week after I applied, my app was not even logged on their web site, so I called in. The sole intake clerk explained that she had had 200 apps the week I applied and hadn't had time to log them in yet. That's when I decided to do an end run and use and little "PI." I got it later that day...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's interesting how it varies from county to county there in AL - in TN it's all controlled by the state, so it's standardized throughout the state (fees, training requirement, cost, etc) and the state utilizes background checks by the FBI, TBI and county sheriff.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
it is amazing that the state of md thinks protecting money is a good reason for cc but protecting your life isnt (unless harm is absolutely imminent).
Alabama has the "stand your ground" law, but, like most states, no one knows exactly what it means yet. Cases like the one in FL haven't helped. There has always been a saying in the law that "hard cases make bad law." Without getting too technical, at common law, one was always required to retreat as far as possible before using deadly force. If you're in your home, you were considered to have already retreated as far as possible. Some states broadened it to the "close," the territory immediately surrounding the home. In public, you were on your own to prove the retreat. I think the fear a lot of prosecutors have had is the temptation towards vigilantism...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Alabama has the "stand your ground" law, but, like most states, no one knows exactly what it means yet. Cases like the one in FL haven't helped. There has always been a saying in the law that "hard cases make bad law." Without getting too technical, at common law, one was always required to retreat as far as possible before using deadly force. If you're in your home, you were considered to have already retreated as far as possible. Some states broadened it to the "close," the territory immediately surrounding the home. In public, you were on your own to prove the retreat. I think the fear a lot of prosecutors have had is the temptation towards vigilantism...
In Georgia , the 'Castle Doctrine' was expanded to include your vehicle or place of business. One thing, and everyone that carries a weapon should understand this, that once you pull a trigger your life will change forever

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
As I've said previously, I presently carry a Makarov 9mm.
However I just bought an old Army .45 (M1911A1) that needs a good bit of work before it's ready to return to service. When I complete it, that will be the one I keep in my vehicle.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I am glad to see the 1911 fans on this board. As I mentioned earlier I am fairly new to the model ,
but once bitten ..,.,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I am glad to see the 1911 fans on this board. As I mentioned earlier I am fairly new to the model ,
but once bitten ..,.,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In addition to coveting a Springfield XD, I have my eye on a 1911. No particular model, but I do see one in my future.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.