SEC Pre(diction) Season: Tennessee

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Why they'll be good:
- they return several players in key positions who were instrumental in very tough fought losses last season
- solid head coach who has them steered in the right direction

Why they'll me bad:
- 5 (FIVE) new starters along the offensive line
- too many questions at QB

Schedule prediction

vs Utah St. - L
vs Ark. St. - W
@ Oklahoma - L
@ Georgia - L
vs Florida - L
vs Chattanooga - W
@ Ole Miss - W
vs Bama - L
@ South Carolina - L
vs Kentucky - W
vs Mizzou - W
@ Vandy - W

Summary:
I think Tennessee will ultimately be a .500 team at best, but teams will know they have been in dog fights after they've played them. They will stumble out of the gate against Utah St, because where UT has huge question marks at QB (Justin Worley? Senior but error prone. Riley Ferguson? Gone from the program. Joshua Dobbs? Very smart and talented but untested), Utah St has no such problem as they'll roll in with Teddy Keaton who could very well put up a dark horse Heisman campaign.

Names that stick out, though, are guys who have contributed significantly: Standout LB AJ Johnson, RB Marlin Lane, WR Pig Howard, WR Marquez North, and WR Justin Croom...add to that freshman RB Jalen Hurd and JUCO transfer Von Pearson who is a bigger bodied receiver and 5-star Freshman wideout Josh Malone and there is much for the Vol faithful to be excited about. However, you don't just replace Daniel McCullers (they went the JUCO route to do so). And I don't know how anyone can think of having much success with five new starters on the offensive line. And we've seen what Justin Worley is. Talented but makes far too many mistakes. Will they hand him the ball? And if they do , how short of a leash is he on? How will that affect his confidence? Who leads this offense on the field? Just too many questions.

I think the season will get off to a very rocky start for Butch's crew but they will "upset" Ole Miss and finish the season on a 3 game win streak and find themselves in a bowl game at 6-6.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
vs Utah St. - L
vs Ark. St. - W
@ Oklahoma - L
-Bye Week-
@ Georgia - W
vs Florida - L
vs Chattanooga - W
@ Ole Miss - W
vs Bama - L
@ South Carolina - L
vs Kentucky - W
vs Mizzou - W
@ Vandy - W

2 warm ups, a tough test @ OU, then a bye week before UGA. UGA could be a HUGE game for Tennessee and we all know UGA is susceptible to mental lapses......especially if they beat USCe 2 weeks prior. Mark it down ladies.....IMHO, this could be an early shocker.

@WMack-great job on these. I'm really enjoying reading something of substance again.

vs Utah St. - W
vs Ark. St. - W
@ Oklahoma - L
-Bye Week-
@ Georgia - L
vs Florida - L
vs Chattanooga - W
@ Ole Miss - L
vs Bama - L
@ South Carolina - L
vs Kentucky - W
vs Mizzou - W
@ Vandy - W

Mostly agree, though I think they'll beat UTAH St. and lose to Ole Miss and UGA.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
vs Utah St. - W
vs Ark. St. - W
@ Oklahoma - L
-Bye Week-
@ Georgia - W
vs Florida - W
vs Chattanooga - W
@ Ole Miss - L
vs Bama - L
@ South Carolina - L
vs Kentucky - W
vs Mizzou - L
@ Vandy - W.

I think the media is overselling UGA and UF. UF had the same defense it had last year and everyone raved about until it lost a FCS team that didn't complete a pass and UGA probably had the most talented team in the east,and still did nothing;yes I know you are going to throw the Gurley injury into this but mizzou still donkey punched them at home.
I think if they recover from the bye week and beat UGA, which I think they do because richt plays down to teams, they are going to give UF all they want before they come back down to earth against us

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Their OL was the strength of the team last year. Losing five guys is a major blow. My logic tells me they should actually be worse. They had the will to win last year but not the talent. And I still don't think they do. 5-6. I think they beat Utah St but lose to Ole Miss and Mizzou.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Thanks WMack for these. I agree on 6-6 and a mediocre bowl for UT. But I think they might be turning the corner on the Dooley error.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Almost gimme wins: Arky St., Chattanooga

Likely wins: UK, Vandy

50/50 games: USU, Mizzou, Ole Miss

Likely losses: UF, UGA, USCe

almost certain losses: OU, Bama

Vandy is almost a 50/50 game too, but Tennessee will have some experience for all their youngsters at that point. i think they'll win at least one of those 50/50 games (Mizzou is my guess) to get bowl eligible. 6-6 is my guess too just with different game predictions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Despite some huge questions, I kinda see this team making a lower level bowl. I think the fact they played so many young guys in 2013 will help and they have an easier end of the season than mostly any other SEC team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Tennessee's problems don't end with the OL, though that's serious enough in its own right.

Of the twelve total positions in the OL, DL, and LB corps, they return exactly ONE starter. That's hard in any league, but death in the SEC.

For that reason, even though I think Butch Jones is a good coach and has UT headed in the right direction, he's my pick to have the SEC's hottest seat in 2015.

They were 5-7 last year, 2-6 in the SEC. Given the weaknesses in the trenches, an improved record is highly unlikely. Will the toothless heirs to Fulmer, Dickey, Kramer and Adams hang in there? We'll see.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction

vs Utah St. - W
vs Ark. St. - W
@ Oklahoma - L
@ Georgia - L
vs Florida - L
vs Chattanooga - W
@ Ole Miss - L
vs Bama - L
@ South Carolina - L
vs Kentucky - W
vs Mizzou - W
@ Vandy - W

6-6 (3-5)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think they take a step back record wise, but a step forward as a program. Losing a ton in both front sevens is too difficult to overcome in the SEC unless you had a TON of depth already. I think they could surprise someone and hit 6-6, but I think they'll likely finish 4-8 or 5-7.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Hard to see them with more than 5 wins with that schedule. Maybe they sneak up on Ole Miss or Georgia as suggested.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Hard to see them with more than 5 wins with that schedule. Maybe they sneak up on Ole Miss or Georgia as suggested.
I do not see them beating Ole Miss on the road or Georgia on the road. The Florida game maybe the key to them winning 5 games or 6 and going bowling. They will win all there non conference games exceot for OU. I also think the beat KY and Mizzou which to me leaves the game against the gators a must win fo a 500 season.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think they lose to either Utah State or Ark State, who both have had better teams recently than the Vols .

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know they are tired of losing to Bama, but they've got a ways to go before they'll likely threaten us, outside of us really playing a bad game.

However, I'd say the Butch Jones better start beating Vandy real regularly again or the UT locals won't be too generous with slight improvment in other areas.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Surprised at how many people think UT will beat Ole Miss or at least give them a good game. And then compare that to a lot of people in the other thread saying Ole Miss has a good chance to knock us off. I think if UT plays Ole Miss close we have nothing to worry about with Ole Miss. JMO. UT is still two years away from competing for the east crown.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Why they'll be good:
- they return several players in key positions who were instrumental in very tough fought losses last season
- solid head coach who has them steered in the right direction

Why they'll me bad:
- 5 (FIVE) new starters along the offensive line
- too many questions at QB

Schedule prediction

vs Utah St. - L
vs Ark. St. - W
@ Oklahoma - L
@ Georgia - L
vs Florida - L
vs Chattanooga - W
@ Ole Miss - W
vs Bama - L
@ South Carolina - L
vs Kentucky - W
vs Mizzou - W
@ Vandy - W

Summary:
I think Tennessee will ultimately be a .500 team at best, but teams will know they have been in dog fights after they've played them. They will stumble out of the gate against Utah St, because where UT has huge question marks at QB (Justin Worley? Senior but error prone. Riley Ferguson? Gone from the program. Joshua Dobbs? Very smart and talented but untested), Utah St has no such problem as they'll roll in with Teddy Keaton who could very well put up a dark horse Heisman campaign.

Names that stick out, though, are guys who have contributed significantly: Standout LB AJ Johnson, RB Marlin Lane, WR Pig Howard, WR Marquez North, and WR Justin Croom...add to that freshman RB Jalen Hurd and JUCO transfer Von Pearson who is a bigger bodied receiver and 5-star Freshman wideout Josh Malone and there is much for the Vol faithful to be excited about. However, you don't just replace Daniel McCullers (they went the JUCO route to do so). And I don't know how anyone can think of having much success with five new starters on the offensive line. And we've seen what Justin Worley is. Talented but makes far too many mistakes. Will they hand him the ball? And if they do , how short of a leash is he on? How will that affect his confidence? Who leads this offense on the field? Just too many questions.

I think the season will get off to a very rocky start for Butch's crew but they will "upset" Ole Miss and finish the season on a 3 game win streak and find themselves in a bowl game at 6-6.

Your thoughts?
IMO, Keeton has as much chance as Manziel did last year in winning the Heisman. Slim and none, and for the same reason. He has no help. Hard to win it when you spend most of the game on the sideline watching the opponent move the ball up and down the field on your defense.

Utah State will do well to win any game, much less the ut game. Keeton has only TWO starters returning with him on offense. His defense returns only 4 starters. Same as atm last season, and we all know how that worked out.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.