A "What If" Thread: What if CNS had stayed at LSU? Where would Bama be now?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: A "What If" Thread: What if CNS had stayed at LSU? Where would Bama be now?

Had CNS remained at LSU they would be the top team annually in the SEC West. I suspect he would have won at least 2 more NCs between 2004-2013. I also believe had he not left LSU after the 2004 season he would have left later for the NFL and by then may have found it more to his liking.

As for Alabama, I believe we would be on our second coach since 2007. I think Mal would have done his very best in securing a top notch coach, but there was and is no other CNS. I do not believe we would have won a NC and we would in all likelihood be somewhere between 2-4 in the SEC West every year. He is simply that good of a coach and has made us what we are.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

He would probably have 3-4 more NC's there. Players like Mark Barron, TJ Yeldon, and Julio Jones go there instead. Mark Ingram goes to Michigan State. Also he would be the all time winningest coach there. Alabama probably doesn't make it the NC in 2009 so Colt McCoy probably actually doesn't get hurt. Wow so many what ifs lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com

LSU remains dominant - agree with above Barron, Jones, Yeldon, and Ingram all go LSU.
Tuberville is still at Aub - no Aub NC in 10, Cam Newton goes to Miss St.
Jimbo Fisher remains at LSU until being hired at Arkansas to replace Houston Nutt
UT still has Fulmer,
UF still has Meyer

UF wins title in 09
LSU wins in 10 (remember, Cam went Miss St) and 11
UGA wins in 12
In 2013, NC goes back to LSU, in that Aub still has Tuberville, FSU still has Bowden, and Bama, without Saban is successful but not at that level yet.

After years of mediocrity with Coach Johnson, hired after Shula, Bama hires Dabo Swinney from Clemson in 2011. Immediate improvement is shown, but at this time we have still not reached the level of LSU.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Had CNS remained at LSU they would be the top team annually in the SEC West. I suspect he would have won at least 2 more NCs between 2004-2013. I also believe had he not left LSU after the 2004 season he would have left later for the NFL and by then may have found it more to his liking.

As for Alabama, I believe we would be on our second coach since 2007. I think Mal would have done his very best in securing a top notch coach, but there was and is no other CNS. I do not believe we would have won a NC and we would in all likelihood be somewhere between 2-4 in the SEC West every year. He is simply that good of a coach and has made us what we are.
I'll agree. You're the common sense, non emotional, really good poster on this board.
You're the best!
sip

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I'll agree. You're the common sense, non emotional, really good poster on this board.
You're the best!
sip
Aw shucks, sip, just doing my part. Thanks for the comments, the check is in the mail. :wink:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com

I really simply can't see a scenario where CNS would've stayed all this time at LSU. He was almost certain to take an NFL head coaching job at some point.

Even had he never left LSU for the NFL, you have to remember that there are a number of college jobs/"challenges" that probably would've pulled him away from LSU at some point. In terms of prestige in the pecking order of college football, LSU isn't Alabama and wouldn't be Alabama even if he had won a couple more NCs there. Perhaps he would've left there for Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, or USC. Most likely, he would've followed Tressel at Ohio State. Had he landed at LSU 5 or 10 years later, maybe he would've finished his career there, but I just don't think he would've ever stayed that entire length of time.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

the scarier what if is...what if saban still left for Miami and richrod had said yes. where would Saban be? where would we be?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

the scarier what if is...what if saban still left for Miami and richrod had said yes. where would Saban be? where would we be?
Coach Saban has always said, "Every decision and every choice you make effects everything and everyone around you"
If Rich Rod had simply stuck by his offer, we'd be sunk as a football program.
We're very lucky. The timing just happened to be perfect. We're blessed.
sip

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I think Mal would have still found the right HC to revive our football program, and once the right HC was here, we would have still won a NC or two along the way..Bama is a school that players wants to train a lil bit harder & player a lil bit harder once they're wearing our Crimson Jersey, than had they went to another school..As long as the NCAA doesn't have our football program strapped down with sanctions..We will always be in the hunt for the NC..Cause there's something about Alabama that will always produce Champions..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I think Mal would have still found the right HC to revive our football program, and once the right HC was here, we would have still won a NC or two along the way..Bama is a school that players wants to train a lil bit harder & player a lil bit harder once they're wearing our Crimson Jersey, than had they went to another school..As long as the NCAA doesn't have our football program strapped down with sanctions..We will always be in the hunt for the NC..Cause there's something about Alabama that will always produce Champions..
Tideman...Mal wouldn't have found a Saban. No way, no how, no way. It was destiny that Rich Rod's wife, "Tammy Baker", didn't like Tuscaloosa.
We're very very lucky that things turned out the way they did. Otherwise, we'd be discussing, "So Do We Have A Chance In The West This Year?".
I truly believe that.
sip

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I agree of course we wouldn't have found a Coach Saban, but, we won NC's before Coach Sabancame & we eventually would have won another NC had he not came..As long as we're not crippled by NCAA sanction..We will be in the hunt for the NC..I agree we wouldn't be as dominate as we are righ now..I do think Mal would have found us a HC that would have put us in the hunt for a NC & perhaps won one by now sip..That's what I'm saying & truly believ that..
Tideman...Mal wouldn't have found a Saban. No way, no how, no way. It was destiny that Rich Rod's wife, "Tammy Baker", didn't like Tuscaloosa.
We're very very lucky that things turned out the way they did. Otherwise, we'd be discussing, "So Do We Have A Chance In The West This Year?".
I truly believe that.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.