Gunfire on the border - Should we invade?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Nah, pretty sure it was just that LCpl Dawson's mirror engaged.....again.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Actually, Mexico has already invaded the US, those in power just have not realized it

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Not just drones, but armed drones. Back when I was in Vietnam, we had a little thing we called "Puff the Magic Dragon". It was actually an Air force AC-130 gunship, and it was a wondrous thing. But since the C-130 has been obsolete for a few decades, I'll settle for armed drones. My, how times, and technology, have changed.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Not just drones, but armed drones. Back when I was in Vietnam, we had a little thing we called "Puff the Magic Dragon". It was actually an Air force AC-130 gunship, and it was a wondrous thing. But since the C-130 has been obsolete for a few decades, I'll settle for armed drones. My, how times, and technology, have changed.
You're referring to the AC-130A model, which is indeed obsolete. AC-130H and AC130U, though aging, are still operational and quite lethal. More recent or soon to be completed models however (AC-130J, AC130W), are very much not obsolete, and carry attack capabilities many, many times more lethal than an armed drone. The C-130 is an aged but versatile frame. With modifications and upgrades, it constitutes the core of Air Force Special Operations' attack fleet. But it's also an LDHD (Low-Density, High-Demand) asset - not likely to be diverted to border security absent full-on armed invasion.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Sorry I should have said "the same kind of drones we currently use in the Middle east". Pretty sure those ain't "Amazon" drones.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You're referring to the AC-130A model, which is indeed obsolete. AC-130H and AC130U, though aging, are still operational and quite lethal. More recent or soon to be completed models however (AC-130J, AC130W), are very much not obsolete, and carry attack capabilities many, many times more lethal than an armed drone. The C-130 is an aged but versatile frame. With modifications and upgrades, it constitutes the core of Air Force Special Operations' attack fleet. But it's also an LDHD (Low-Density, High-Demand) asset - not likely to be diverted to border security absent full-on armed invasion.
C-130 J models placed in service not long ago. C130s have performed good work in Afghanistan as cargo and troop carriers.

-130 Hercules aircrews from the 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, are busy flying missions in support of deployed operations throughout Southwest Asia.

The aircraft’s capabilities and versatility, such as being able to land on and take off from short runways and dirt airstrips, allow the C-130 to operate in the area’s challenging environments and conduct two important missions: Airdrops and aeromedical evacuations.

The squadron’s missions also have a significant impact on U.S. and coalition forces in Afghanistan, said Lt. Col. Brian Watkins, the 774th EAS commander. At the halfway point of this current deployment, he said, the squadron has flown more than 800 hours during 1,300 sorties, while transporting more than 6,000 tons of cargo and moving approximately 13,000 passengers.

- See more at: http://airman.dodlive.mil/2012/12/c-130-country/#sthash.zelP8sty.dpuf

I will say that the USAF has some very long lived air frames.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
C-130 J models placed in service not long ago. C130s have performed good work in Afghanistan as cargo and troop carriers.

-130 Hercules aircrews from the 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, are busy flying missions in support of deployed operations throughout Southwest Asia.

The aircraft’s capabilities and versatility, such as being able to land on and take off from short runways and dirt airstrips, allow the C-130 to operate in the area’s challenging environments and conduct two important missions: Airdrops and aeromedical evacuations.

The squadron’s missions also have a significant impact on U.S. and coalition forces in Afghanistan, said Lt. Col. Brian Watkins, the 774th EAS commander. At the halfway point of this current deployment, he said, the squadron has flown more than 800 hours during 1,300 sorties, while transporting more than 6,000 tons of cargo and moving approximately 13,000 passengers.

- See more at: http://airman.dodlive.mil/2012/12/c-130-country/#sthash.zelP8sty.dpuf

That's what that alien technology will do for you. ;)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

All of that's good stuff - no doubt. The C-130 has several roles in conventional air operations, which you describe. But I think what BReb was referring to were the C-130 frames that were highly modified to an attack configuration. Hence the "A" prefix to AC-130. The AC-130 configurations (H, U, J, and soon W) are gunships, not cargo/troop carriers. They are flown by Air Force Special Operations and are suited primarily for one thing: killing from a fixed, stand-off orbit.

Here's one of the older H-Models, doing what it does best:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.