Langham
Bryant

I'm sure I missed a few.....

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I would have to say that Chris Samuels was more talented than Smith ever had potential to be.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
I agree that Samuels was a better performer. But Andre, motivation issues aside, had more talent. He just didn't do nearly as much with his physical blessings as he could and should have.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Impossible question but I'll go by decades..again, physical skills only. That doesn't mean best football player.
60's-Namath, with Stabler a close second. Before his knee injury Joe Willie could run like a deer, and I've never seen a better combination of strong arm with a quick release.
70's- Calvin Culliver. He was almost Bo like in build and ran a sub ten second hundred yard dash.
As a wishbone fullback he had two TD runs of over 80 yards against Maryland and left everyone wondering where he went. Awesome physical specimen. E.J. Junior wasn't too shabby either.
80's-Derrick...no doubt about it
90's- Crazy choice but since we're talking strictly physical skills I'll go with Antonio London.
He was that 6'4 220 freak who could run like the wind but still be strong enough to play defensive end.
2000-2010--Julio
2010-present-Ya ready? Chris Black
There ya go...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Kerry Murphy...

At 6'6 and 300+ the man was really wuick, and could do a back flip. Still can as a matter of fact. He's now an assistant to Coach Cochran.

Him aside I would say Julio, Trent, and possibly Andre Smith/Dre Kirkpatrick (just working off of the last 15 years.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
We lost out on the person who could have been the BEST All-Time Tider: Bo Jackson. I'll blame that on Pat Dye for taking advantage of someone's age! Bo used to KNOW everything, including football. I can still see him walking sideways on that outfield wall parallel to the planet Earth.

Please Football Season come quickly! These threads are messing up my mind.
Man you sure are hung up on Bo Jackson and making something of Coach Bryant's age (or as you refer - someone's age) Funny thing is Coach Bryant continued coaching after your hero went to Farmville.

hartleyb

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2009
Impossible question but I'll go by decades..again, physical skills only. That doesn't mean best football player.
60's-Namath, with Stabler a close second. Before his knee injury Joe Willie could run like a deer, and I've never seen a better combination of strong arm with a quick release.
70's- Calvin Culliver. He was almost Bo like in build and ran a sub ten second hundred yard dash.
As a wishbone fullback he had two TD runs of over 80 yards against Maryland and left everyone wondering where he went. Awesome physical specimen. E.J. Junior wasn't too shabby either.
80's-Derrick...no doubt about it
90's- Crazy choice but since we're talking strictly physical skills I'll go with Antonio London.
He was that 6'4 220 freak who could run like the wind but still be strong enough to play defensive end.
2000-2010--Julio
2010-present-Ya ready? Chris Black
There ya go...
Calvin Culliver is from my hometown of Brewton, All. Calvin star is still shining bright, I would add Walter Lewis to that list, another hometown boy.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Julio Jones or Derrick Thomas based on how many different positions on the field the could line and play and do so at a high level. Julio could play WR, CB, S, bulk up and play LB or H-back. DR could play LB, DE, TE, FB, slim down and possibly play RB and S too.
Julio is a great example, he could do so many things well.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I walked in to Foster one evening and saw some guys playing. One guy posterized Reggie King. It was Ozzie Newsome.
As a student, I enjoyed springs at the Rec Center, when the senior football players were released to play basketball. Biscuit had speed that was startling to see up close, and his dunks were vicious.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here's one from the 1970s: Linnie Patrick

He was undoubtedly more "talented" than his production ever showed, simply because he stayed in Coach Bryant's doghouse so much.

BTW, maybe I'm looking at this thread wrong, but it's almost like an "underachiever" award in the sense that if they were talented, but maybe it didn't always show.

FWIW, I'd rather have one "overachiever" for every 10 "underachievers" on my team and, maybe it's a topic for another thread, but I love players like that.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
was waiting for the linnie patrick ...

2000's i'd go Julio Jones

1990's tough with so many on 1992 defense but i'll go with Shaun Alexander

1980's linnie patrick (aka "the next herschel walker" lol) aside I'll take Derrick Thomas

1970's has to be John Hannah

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.