News Article: Saban UA's longest-tenured coach since Bryant

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
"You have to have cooperation from the administration to really do anything you want to do, whether it's the budget or how many people to hire," Higgins said. "They've said, 'Do what you need to do to win. Build the system you need to win.' He's got that support. Because Nick's built the infrastructure of that program like an NFL team. It is the state of Alabama's NFL team."

Re: latest Bama News 7/18/14 Thru 7/20 Weekend Edition

Saban UA's longest- tenured coach since Bryant-tidesports

Remember when his detractors said Nick Saban would be gone from Alabama within five years? This upcoming season Saban will become the longest-tenured head coach at Alabama since Paul W. "Bear" Bryant.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I hate to rain on everyone's parade but I predict he will take another job. Caretaker of a large home on Lake Burton, Ga in about 5 years.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I enjoyed reading the article. Here's hoping he stays until he's ready to head to the lake. Hopefully, he'll know when it's time to leave. It's time to leave when you can no longer get people like Bo Jackson. Mal left it in good hands. Now he'll, Saban, have to make sure that it's left in good hands.

When he leaves, we will need to do a national search for the BEST person for this job. We'll need to have someone who is a Great Football Coach as well as an excellent administrator and leader. It can't be an on the job training type of thing. We don't need a community organizer type of person.

I do think he'd be good on the SEC Network in about 10-12 years.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
The most salient point is the one CMR made - he chose to stay put. These coaches that stay put at their respective programs do so far more due to having their personal and professional lives satisfied than anything in particular the university does or doesn't do. Alabama's administration could do backflips and throw even more money at CNS and it wouldn't mean a darned thing if personally and/or professionally CNS's goals were to lie elsewhere. IMO, we got lucky that Mal Moore was able to win CNS over at the right time in CNS's life and career. He had certain needs and goals and the university was able to help him achieve them, just as he has been able to help the university achieve its needs and goals. They filled in each other's gaps in just the right way at just the right time and CNS has chosen to stick around long enough to allow that to develop. It's like a good marriage.

I'm glad he wakes up each day and continues to choose UA. :)

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I hate to rain on everyone's parade but I predict he will take another job. Caretaker of a large home on Lake Burton, Ga in about 5 years.
I figure he will coach pee wee football in Lake Burton in more like 10 to 15 years from now. And he will win championships because of intimidation of the opposing teams kids and their parents. Of course he will be called the Lake Burton Monster and eventually have to give it up when the parents decide football is to violent for their kids and disband the league. ;) Then he will be off to speaking engagements and high school camps when he finally is talked into running for president of the U.S. which will be his final defeat. But by then he will be CEO of his own oatmeal cookie company and an ambassador for the U.S. National Soccer team and the U.S. soccer teams first world cup soccer championship. In commemoration of him and his accomplishments for the country, the U.S. mint will commemorate him on the first U.S. quarter not to have George Washington on its heads side. ;)

Then again he may just coach at Bama till he is 90 breaking every collegiate record ever recorded! ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Watched the Blind Side last night again. CNS was much younger looking about 10 years ago, but he's still a youthful early 60 something. I think, without unforeseen serious health issues, he could coach another 7-10 years.

It's about "desire" and based on his recruiting right now, he's planning on a few more years at Bama.

Matter of fact, if we ever start seeing our recruiting wane a bit, it might be the first sign that CNS is getting ready to pack up for the lake.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
So glad CNS came to Tuscaloosa. We are very fortunate that Mal was able to sign him! I hope he feels like staying another 10 years before retiring.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Watched the Blind Side last night again. CNS was much younger looking about 10 years ago, but he's still a youthful early 60 something. I think, without unforeseen serious health issues, he could coach another 7-10 years.

It's about "desire" and based on his recruiting right now, he's planning on a few more years at Bama.

Matter of fact, if we ever start seeing our recruiting wane a bit, it might be the first sign that CNS is getting ready to pack up for the lake.
Can you believe he and Mack Brown are the same age ? Mack looks old, Nick looks youthful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Re: latest Bama News 7/18/14 Thru 7/20 Weekend Edition

He's going to Texas evahbody - it's all part of the grand plan. He's coming, Texas has gawt more munny than Gawd, and evahbuddy wants to coach de Longhorns. We pulled da perfick plan, he gawn leave just bafar Labor Day and announce Strong is his defensive cordinator!!

(There are actually dopes in this state who would believe that if they read it on Orangebloods - I'm serious).

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It's so obvious that Coach Saban was the right man at the right time for Alabama. The love of this football program was never questioned by any of our fans. I've always believed that the football program is bigger than any man and I still feel that way. Coach Saban has the confidence and knows his "process" will work anywhere if given time and resources to achieve it.No one out works CNS, are you listening Steve Spurrier?
The bottom line is he's here and I'm enjoying the ride. We may never see this type of run again. He will leave on his terms when he is ready and he will leave this program in great shape! Roll Tide!

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I wish just a FEW of the Mediots who ripped UA for...

1) Attempting to believe we could hire a Guy like Coach Saban
2) Paying him what we did
3) Believing We would have him longer than a Petrino

Would step up and admit they missed those calls.

Lets start with Lebatard

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I made a similar thread when Coach Saban was entering his 6th season at the Capstone which was the longest tenure for him as a HC in his career. On a sidenote, even the barners have stop talking about how long CNS will be at Alabama. It was cute the first couple of years in his tenure, it became annoying after his 4th year, then it was downright pathetic when they continued to be obsessed with his departure after his 6th year . Good to see them accepting the ruling dynasty. Lol!!!

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He might not be here much longer, there's no telling when he'll decide it's time to call it quits. But, when any coach stays this long with one SEC team, it's noteworthy. At Alabama, with the sort of intense pressure that tends to run off coaches (one way or the other)? It's quite an impressive feat.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
I made a similar thread when Coach Saban was entering his 6th season at the Capstone which was the longest tenure for him as a HC in his career. On a sidenote, even the barners have stop talking about how long CNS will be at Alabama. It was cute the first couple of years in his tenure, it became annoying after his 4th year, then it was downright pathetic when they continued to be obsessed with his departure after his 6th year . Good to see them accepting the ruling dynasty. Lol!!!
Some of them said he'd be gone after 1 year! Funny how quiet they have become on that particular subject. :biggrin2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some of them said he'd be gone after 1 year! Funny how quiet they have become on that particular subject. :biggrin2:
I'd say the overwhelming majority accepted that CNS was at Bama to stay after we bookended their 2010 NC in 2011. If there were still a few doubters they went away after our 2012 NC.

Of course, they believe he'll stay for different reasons than the normal person: mainly they believe it's because he can "cheat" easier at Bama because of his relationship with the NCAA's Emmeret (?). They also say he'll never leave now because we (Bama fans) worship him and that he loves it because he's so "self-centered."

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
CNS was known as a program builder after what he was able to do at LSU and Bama. I think his focus now is to sustain that success over a long period of time. When he does this, there will be no doubt who the greatest coach of all time is and I am including Coach Bryant when I say this. I am not discounting what Bryant did because I grew up in the 70's, but to have the kind of success CNS has during this era of football is unreal. We have been blessed to have the 2 greatest coaches in the history of the game at our University.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CNS was known as a program builder after what he was able to do at LSU and Bama. I think his focus now is to sustain that success over a long period of time. When he does this, there will be no doubt who the greatest coach of all time is and I am including Coach Bryant when I say this. I am not discounting what Bryant did because I grew up in the 70's, but to have the kind of success CNS has during this era of football is unreal. We have been blessed to have the 2 greatest coaches in the history of the game at our University.
It's hard to compare eras. There is definitely more parity now with schollie reductions than when Coach Bryant was at UA. But I think CNS will have to win 2 more titles to be considered better than CPB.

And remember CPB won his 6 titles during the course of over 2 decades with two totally different styles of offense. He showed adaptibility that most might say CNS has not shown, at least not to that degree.

If CNS wins 3 more titles and adapts his defensive approach (which I think he's currently doing to counteract the HUNH) he will be considered the GOAT in college coaching history because the parity of the current era and having 7 NCs to CPB's 6.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.