Ever Been To The Gym Where Hoosier's Was Shot?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Last Thursday, I traveled with my son, who works as a college recruiter to Anderson, IN. Traveling west across interstate 70 from Ohio, we were trying to decide which exit to take to Anderson. I mentioned 3 with Knightstown, IN. being one of the choices. He said, "that is the town they filmed the movie Hooiser's." Long story short, we decided to visit the gym about 3 miles south of interstate 70. We spent a good hour touring the gym, looking at photos, books, and talking to the gentleman running the now community center. The best part of the visit was getting to play a game of horse on the historic floor. There is no charge for admission. If you are ever on the east side of Indianapolis, be sure to stop in a take a trip back in time. Has anyone else been to this gym? On the way back, we stopped by The Fieldhouse in New Castle, IN. home to the largest high school gym, at 9,000.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: Ever Been To The Gym Where Hooiser's Was Shot?

That has to be one of my favorite movies. After your post, I just may have to watch it again. I think I still have it (on DVD).

I met a guy years ago who played on that team. If I recall correctly, he was a high school principal in the Cy Fair School District in the Houston area. At least, I was told that he played on that Hoosier's team: Hickory High School, I guess was the name used in the movie.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

That has to be one of my favorite movies. After your post, I just may have to watch it again. I think I still have it (on DVD).

I met a guy years ago who played on that team. If I recall correctly, he was a high school principal in the Cy Fair School District in the Houston area. At least, I was told that he played on that Hoosier's team: Hickory High School, I guess was the name used in the movie.
It's one of my favorite movies, too. The name of the real school whose team the movie was based on was Milan HS, I think.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

Yes, Milan is the name of the actual high school but in the movie they use the name Hickory.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

It's one of my favorite movies, too. The name of the real school whose team the movie was based on was Milan HS, I think.
I had heard that years ago, but just forgot. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

We lived in IN back in the late 80s. Love the movie! 2 quick stories about IN hoops.

1) one year we were up there, the IU Hoosiers actually had a shot at making the Rose Bowl late in the season ( I know; signs, wonders, etc.). I still remember the sports page: (HUGE headline at top of pg.) "Knight's Hoosiers Begin Practice"...(tiny, nearly-unreadable blurb on bottom corner) "Football Hoosiers Have Chance at Rose Bowl." This barely computed with my lifelong-Bama-fan/Bama-grad mindset. :)

2) A buddy who's a IN native remembered during his HS days in the 60s that a blizzard came through & shut down everything for 5-6 days. No work at the factory, no school, no church meetings, nothing. Except that right in the middle of those days, his HS hoops team played a rival team right on schedule to a packed gym. He said folks were skiing in to the gym, walking in with their snowshoes on,...That's when I realized that there's something to the stereotype of IN HS hoops mania.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.