vs La-Monroe - W
@ LSU - L
vs Miss St - L
@ Mizzou - L
vs UGA - L
@ Tennessee - L
@ Louisville - L

Summary

Neal Brown, a Hal Mumme disciple, is Kentucky's OC and likes to run a pass happy, up-tempo offense. In time, their ceiling is what James Franklin did at Vandy. But right now, even though they have made headway in recruiting, they're just TOO thin in terms of quality depth/experience at every position except running back and defensive end. They have talented true freshmen at QB (Drew Barker) and Defensive tackle (Matt Elam), but that's not enough.

In a nutshell,
- UK is either gonna start a sophomore or freshman at QB
- the offensive line situation is shaky at best
- the WRs are either unproductive or unproven
- they're young on the interior of the d-line
- they lost one of the most productive LBs and leaders in their program's history in Avery Williamson to the NFL draft
- not one of their DBs would start for any other school in the SEC

I have them going 3-9 and not winning a single SEC game. All good for Stoops, though, who just got a 5 year extension after an abysmal season last year. It's good to see an AD who is patient enough to understand that it won't happen over night. And that's good for Stoops because this year will more than likely be worse than last season.

Your thoughts?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I wonder if Matt Elam regrets going to kentucky now.
It's home. I doubt it. Like Clowney, he has the opportunity to be a part of getting his home team over the hump so to speak. To some people, being THE GUY, especially at home, is more important than just being A GUY in a program that not only has a laundry list of legends who have come before you, but also ones still on the roster.

If I were a highly touted center playing basketball, playing at UCLA (going behind Abdul-Jabbar & Walton) would mean less to me than staying here at home and turning our program into a perennial power

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
They basically won't be worth watching, and will be painful when you do. Another typical season in Kentucky, Stoops' recruiting excitement or not.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Not to parrot Mack, but I agree that they're looking at a winless in the SEC year yet again. I wonder how long Stoops gets because he has recruited well for Kentucky but he's in the middle of a long job. The great thing for him is that Kentucky is sort of the inverse of us down here in T-Town. As long as basketball is doing well, he can probably fly under the radar and not see any pitchforks and torches.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
They are in for a long year , they will be lucky to get three wins.
Probably, but I will add that there are a lot of winnable games on that schedule, if they can even play at a semi-reasonable level of competitiveness. There are six or seven games on that schedule that would very much be winnable for any non-dumpster fire program.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
2 wins max imo. I think LaMo gets them. Ohio under solich is not a terrible team either.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It's home. I doubt it. Like Clowney, he has the opportunity to be a part of getting his home team over the hump so to speak. To some people, being THE GUY, especially at home, is more important than just being A GUY in a program that not only has a laundry list of legends who have come before you, but also ones still on the roster.

If I were a highly touted center playing basketball, playing at UCLA (going behind Abdul-Jabbar & Walton) would mean less to me than staying here at home and turning our program into a perennial power
Usually I see why a kid would wanna be the local hero, but this UK we're talking about. What is "over the hump" for them, .500? Turning a 3-10 team into a 6-6 team just doesn't sound very gloriously to me. Also, in order to be a hero, people have to care. Even if Kentucky does turn it around and score some SEC wins, is anybody gonna care? Is the question I have.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think it's realistic that they could lose to Ohio and La Monroe as well. I think 1-11 is a possibility, but figure they'll find one more win in there somewhere.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction:

vs UT-Martin - W
vs Ohio - W
@ Florida - L
vs Vandy - W
vs South Carolina - L
vs La-Monroe - W
@ LSU - L
vs Miss St - L
@ Mizzou - L
vs UGA - L
@ Tennessee - L
@ Louisville - L

4-8 (1-7)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Probably, but I will add that there are a lot of winnable games on that schedule, if they can even play at a semi-reasonable level of competitiveness. There are six or seven games on that schedule that would very much be winnable for any non-dumpster fire program.
Correct and they are not a dumpster fire. I have them at 4-8 and the only reason I didn't pick them over ut and MO is because those are road games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We aren't to Georgia yet but I think they're a legitimate contender in the East. Mason got some valuable experience last season. They're deep on offensive weapons. Pruitt brings a better 34 defense mentality to a team already built for a 34 personnel grouping.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Usually I see why a kid would wanna be the local hero, but this UK we're talking about. What is "over the hump" for them, .500? Turning a 3-10 team into a 6-6 team just doesn't sound very gloriously to me. Also, in order to be a hero, people have to care. Even if Kentucky does turn it around and score some SEC wins, is anybody gonna care? Is the question I have.
I'll add this much: No defensive tackle -- much less a pure nose type -- has ever been worth three wins by himself in college football. Just doesn't work that way, eve if Elam turns out to be a mega-superstar.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'll add this much: No defensive tackle -- much less a pure nose type -- has ever been worth three wins by himself in college football. Just doesn't work that way, eve if Elam turns out to be a mega-superstar.
I would say Nick Fairley added at least 3 wins to Auburn in 2010, as much credit as Cam got Fairley was equally important. I remember him having forcing a turnover or causing an injury in several of their games that year. Also if you take away Cody from 2008 or 2009 I think we might've lost a couple of games, most notably 2009 UT.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I would say Nick Fairley added at least 3 wins to Auburn in 2010, as much credit as Cam got Fairley was equally important. I remember him having forcing a turnover or causing an injury in several of their games that year. Also if you take away Cody from 2008 or 2009 I think we might've lost a couple of games, most notably 2009 UT.
What 3 games did Fairley win himself?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.