Don't ignore Janet Yellen's warning on the market

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I am working on the theory of finding things that are cheap, and using that for wealth protection.
Example: .22 was stupidly cheap 5 yrs ago. If I had bought $5k, I would have turned a pretty nice profit selling it in the last few months. However, there was almost no downside to .22 getting cheaper so I was guaranteed of at least breaking even.

So the game is to find something priced at its rock bottom price right now. That way no matter what the currency does, your wealth is stable.

The one I'm extremely iffy on is buying foreign money. I dont know if a collapse of the dollar would drag those other currencies down as well. Otherwise foreign currency is excellent for fast liquidation when needed.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I am working on the theory of finding things that are cheap, and using that for wealth protection.
Example: .22 was stupidly cheap 5 yrs ago. If I had bought $5k, I would have turned a pretty nice profit selling it in the last few months. However, there was almost no downside to .22 getting cheaper so I was guaranteed of at least breaking even.

So the game is to find something priced at its rock bottom price right now. That way no matter what the currency does, your wealth is stable.

The one I'm extremely iffy on is buying foreign money. I dont know if a collapse of the dollar would drag those other currencies down as well. Otherwise foreign currency is excellent for fast liquidation when needed.
Alcohol. ;)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
We have Russia and Ukraine squaring off.
We have Israel and Palestine blowing each other to bits.
We have the dregs of Central America entering the US by the trainload.
We have a nightmare plague poised to ravage the planet.
If only there were some sign that economic trouble might lay ahead.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I started the process of moving into cash quite a while ago. I gave up a bit in paper profits, but not that much - and I'm not through moving yet...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Interestingly, I just had lunch with a buddy who is a money manager. He said the volume will be relatively light until after Labor Day when all the big money managers come back from vacation. We'll see if the market takes a decisive turn one way or another until then.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Yes, but it all adds up. A $Billion here and a $Billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money!
I don't know if this should so much be in blue as it should be in quotes and attributed to virtually anyone in Congress.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How far do y'all think the DOW will/should fall if a true "correction" took place in the market? It's taking a nice little ride downwards here the past few days.
If you look at the last couple of years, this is part of the pattern - I suspect it will drop a bit more then start climbing again.

The true value of the market is probably about 2/3rds what it currently is...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you look at the last couple of years, this is part of the pattern - I suspect it will drop a bit more then start climbing again.

The true value of the market is probably about 2/3rds what it currently is...
Yeah, that's probably about right. The last few days my investments have taken a beating but that's happened before. Over the long haul I've earned a lot more than I've put into it so I guess I'll stay long and strong. Sure beats putting it in mason jars and burying it in the back yard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.