Now IRS Reports EVEN MORE Computer Crashes, Doesn’t Know If Emails Still Exist

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
At this point you want to start asking who supplies their hard drives...

~18 years ago, the implementation of a Windows network at Social Security was derailed several months when it was discovered that a lot of hard drives had been assembled using self-tapping screws.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
At this point you want to start asking who supplies their hard drives...

~18 years ago, the implementation of a Windows network at Social Security was derailed several months when it was discovered that a lot of hard drives had been assembled using self-tapping screws.
And installed using a magnetic jackhammer apparently.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
In case you guys missed it, the EPA also has this problem.

EPA: UM, YEAH, WE TOTALLY HAD A HARD DRIVE CRASH THAT WIPED OUT CRUCIAL EMAILS, TOO

Given that the very subject of these hearings was the White House helping the EPA stonewall Congressional investigation, I’m sure a hearty laugh about the familiar “destroyed hard drive / no backups / what’s the Federal Records Act?” routine was had by all. It will be even funnier when American citizens who find themselves on the wrong side of Obama’s out-of-control EPA begin claiming they cannot provide certain information due to hard drive crashes.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I wish I still sold Storage to Fed, they seem to need a whole lot of hard drives, back-up solutions and DR implementations.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Has anyone checked the "Customer" sections on any of the major players for storage or hard drive sales (direct or resell)? I wonder if any government agency logos have recently been removed... Haha.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Hard drives really aren't the issue. They fail all the time. Anybody that runs a real email system archives all email to a centralized server and backs up that server, which should have RAID protection, to tape or some other permanent storage. Unfortunately the IRS systems are administered by civil service slackers.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
C'mon, you seriously believe these hard drives failed? Be honest. The chances of all of these drives failing is astronomical, literally.
I think they are just throwing this stuff out there to see what level of tomfoolery will be defended. Some of this stuff is truly wacky.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
C'mon, you seriously believe these hard drives failed? Be honest. The chances of all of these drives failing is astronomical, literally.
Lol.

"What're ya gonna do, punk? We're the freakin' IRS."

*knee to the groin*

The government depends on us for money. We could literally just come out and say, "Yeah, there's some really crazy stuff that we didn't want to get out, so we just paid for professionals to wipe out all of our pertinent data," and no one will touch us.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
This is all from the whole Tea Party targeting thing? But, there has to be more hidden in there they don't want out. The fear of being targeted should be the least of our fears. I'm not going conspiracy here - I just truly do not see any reason why the IRS would really be TOO concerned if we all found out that Tea Party groups were targeted. It would be a little black eye on the IRS but they could get over that - fire Lois Lerner and a few others and apologize to the targeted groups. They are practically digging up corpses, moving them to unidentified locations, and blowing up the old graves in an effort to not get caught shoplifting a shirt and pants.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is all from the whole Tea Party targeting thing? But, there has to be more hidden in there they don't want out. The fear of being targeted should be the least of our fears.
No, not necessarily - if there are emails showing the president asked the IRS to do this, they would have serious problems.

Which is why several hundred HDDs will likely fail in the next few weeks / months. Meet the new boss...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I dont know how many failed or what percentage it was and I'm guessing that many of these failures were helped by the treatment of the laptop. However you missed the point of my post. A properly designed email system shouldn't rely on laptop hard drives for long term storage.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.