Titans (former LSU) QB Mettenberger punched by Bama fan

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Why would a Bama fan hit Mettenberger? I think most Bama fans like him (as far as liking an LSU QB goes).

He was tough, talented and more importantly winless against Bama.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Why would a Bama fan hit Mettenberger? I think most Bama fans like him (as far as liking an LSU QB goes).

He was tough, talented and more importantly winless against Bama.
I'd hit him on behalf of that poor waitress he molested in Valdosta, not for what he did at LSU

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It is knuckleheads like that guy doing the sucker punching that gives the rest of us Alabama fans a bad name.

A lot of that going around lately. I have always claimed our fans regardless of Socioeconomic background . It is getting harder to claim some of the lunatic fringe .

That being said, an LSU alum in a Tennessee bar . The Bama fans didnt stand a chance of a story in their favor.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
One side of the story? Mett...at a bar...drinking...yeah, i doubt he was spouting off about anything. Especially anything Bama related. Maybe it wasn't a "sucker punch"...but that's what the article is just calling it? But yes, i'm having a harder time with all this bad pub about "bama" fans.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'd hit him on behalf of that poor waitress he molested in Valdosta, not for what he did at LSU
Didn't know about that.

Read about it here:

http://onlineathens.com/stories/050410/foo_632586081.shtml

(Btw - this is the story from 2010 in Valdosta but note the bold):

Former Georgia quarterback Zach Mettenberger pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of misdemeanor sexual battery, saying he is taking "full responsibility" for his actions.

Mettenberger, who was kicked off the team by coach Mark Richt on April 18, grabbed the breasts and buttocks of a woman at Flip Flops, a bar near Valdosta, on March 7, according to Southern Judicial Circuit District Attorney J. David Miller. The victim was an employee of the bar but not working that night, Miller said.

"He was at the bar and was highly, highly intoxicated," Miller said. "He grabbed the young lady in places he had no business placing his hands."

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Man, I'm getting agitated with some in our fanbase to be truthful.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I'm glad I live in TX most of the time. I don't miss the 24/7 Bama/Auburn trying to uncover every indiscretion by every Bama fan, player, coach, former trainer, etc. Granted this was in TN, but still.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If I ever do anything that might get me in trouble I am going to say "War Eagle," if you get my drift. Wouldn't make me an Auburn fan but it would serve a purpose.
Anyone can say "Roll Tide!"

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
In a bar appropriately named Losers, Mettenberger was allegedly sucker punched by a Bama "fan" who yelled Roll Tide at him

Story here
The story actually says that the friend of the person who punched Mettenberger said "Roll Tide" to him.

"Here's the truth: The guy said something about 'Roll Tide!' to Zach, and Zach turned around and said 'Good luck with that,' " Ford said. "And the guy's buddy then sucker-punched Zach.
So, I saw nothing in the story that says that the puncher was a Bama fan. His friend could have been or could have just been trying to push Mettenberger's buttons.

I wonder if the bar owner checked the puncher to see if he had his REC membership card on him?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Well..It's better than a "Teabagging"..Sorry Mods I couldn't resist that..LOL..Might as well try to laugh off how bad bad College Football fans have become & not just Bama Fans..College Football Fans in general..

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The story actually says that the friend of the person who punched Mettenberger said "Roll Tide" to him.

So, I saw nothing in the story that says that the puncher was a Bama fan...
Yeah, don't be presumptive on "the guy's buddy"'s allegiance - could've been a disgruntled (or just plain gruntled) Towson State supporter. Or David Lipscomb theology student throwing a righteous uppercut...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
A drunk guy punches someone at a bar but it's only news because an Alabama fan was involved. :rolleye2:

Getting tired of our fans doing stupid things but I'm getting even more tired of everyone reporting on what our fans are doing.

Remember the guy who shot up the Batman movie in Aurora a few years ago and killed 12 people? He was a University of Colorado student/fan, but the media never told you that. If that had happened in Birmingham, I guarantee you they would have dug through facebook to find out who he pulled for.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
As you can imagine, Clay Travis had a field day with this in the radio. He had some guy he made sound like a Bama fan call and the fan sounded like a idiot/drunk/fan.

Funny thing is the "fan" said he was a Tennessee fan and then switched to being a Bama. It made me wonder if it was staged. Even though there are some really bad Alabama.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
A drunk guy punches someone at a bar but it's only news because an Alabama fan was involved. :rolleye2:

Getting tired of our fans doing stupid things but I'm getting even more tired of everyone reporting on what our fans are doing.

Remember the guy who shot up the Batman movie in Aurora a few years ago and killed 12 people? He was a University of Colorado student/fan, but the media never told you that. If that had happened in Birmingham, I guarantee you they would have dug through facebook to find out who he pulled for.

I was thinking the same thing. We have such a large fanbase, that there is bound to be stupid people. Imagine what some of the Texas fans have done...but that is never a story.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.