Ian Fitzsimmons (ESPN-Dallas) and Co. Had Interesting BCS Conversation Today

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I sure hope you can remember your posturing when this selection group screws it up
What posturing?

There is a selection committee that I hate and there is NOTHING that can be done about it. NOTHING.

If we win all our games, we're in.

If not - we're at the mercy of the committee, just like we were at the mercy of the BCS computers and voters. The systems are NOT nearly as different as folks want to wish. They're not going to select 5-6 North Texas for the playoff.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
What posturing?

There is a selection committee that I hate and there is NOTHING that can be done about it. NOTHING.

If we win all our games, we're in.

If not - we're at the mercy of the committee, just like we were at the mercy of the BCS computers and voters. The systems are NOT nearly as different as folks want to wish. They're not going to select 5-6 North Texas for the playoff.
Wait and see, you are dead wrong imo. BTW, the 5-6 thing is insulting, ridiculous, and should be beneath even you

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Wait and see, you are dead wrong imo. BTW, the 5-6 thing is insulting, ridiculous, and should be beneath even you
Not to take up someone else's position for them, but what was wrong?

Can something be done about it?
If we win are we going to be left out?
If we lose are we not at the mercy of the committee just as we were with the BCS?
Are the systems drastically different?

Seems to me every point is pretty solid.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Not to take up someone else's position for them, but what was wrong?

Can something be done about it?

NOT NOW
If we win are we going to be left out?

OF COURSE NOT
If we lose are we not at the mercy of the committee just as we were with the BCS?

BCS was not a human committee making a selection, amigo

Are the systems drastically different?

YES!!!!!

Seems to me every point is pretty solid.
Wait and see

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What in God's name do you mean by THAT comment?

Do you have anything SUBSTANTIVE to add at this point, sir?

I am NOT DEFENDING THE NEW SYSTEM. I'm making the point (that should be obvious to most LOGICAL thinkers) that 95% of the objections given here are objections that can ALSO BE MADE ABOUT THE BCS ITSELF!!!

The one GOOD difference is that no unbeaten SEC team will ever again get messed over (a la 1966 and - for that matter- 2004 Auburn).

Let's go over them again:

1) The committee is biased

And you think the poll human voters are NOT?

2) This system is designed to prevent rematches

They specifically said otherwise just days ago

3) You will "have to" win your conference

There is no conference championship requirement, either.

4) This is "against the SEC"

Funny, since the SEC got hosed in 2004 and only slipped by in 2003 because Notre Dame and Hawaii got killed in late games that destroyed USC's SOS argument.

Besides - the guys I referenced in the OP said the exact opposite, so this is hardly a universal opinion.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree with Selma. We have swapped one messed up system for another one. Plus, the new trophy is ugly, as well. :)
Not exactly - we swapped a "decent but flawed" system for a "who knows what the heck is going to happen" system.

There are TWO WAYS this could have been done EXCELLENTLY:

1) Play all the bowl games and THEN have a "Plus One" game between the final 1 and 2 (this enables the teams to make a statement in the New Years Day bowls and actually gives them meaning they haven't had since 1997)

OR

2) Keep the BCS and simply take the Top Four.

Either of those choices would have:
a) kept the meaningfulness of the regular season
b) ensured the champion MUST win TWO legitimately tough contests at the end

And the first one would have:
c) permitted the OLD BOWL STRUCTURE to prevail (SEC champ goes to the Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl is Pac Ten-Big Ten, etc)
d) and given MEANING to New Years Day bowls (as I stated earlier)

The mere fact they put this selection committee together suggests to me they put up another roadblock for the Boise States of the world more than anything else. But what irks me most is that they have now - LITERALLY - made the polls meaningless. A one-loss number two might well not make the game now.

The problem I have is the negative Nellies here who are whining already and wanting a "back door" to ensure that even though Alabama loses to Podounk Tech in September, we still "get in" and can win it all. It's the whole "second chance" concept at a time other unbeatens don't even get a "first chance."

With four teams, they do.

Btw - while I AGREE with those who are saying "look out, here comes the 8-team playoff," that will be much harder than a lot of you think. Surely none of you believe the bowl system will just stand by and let that happen without them being involved (which then makes the lower tier bowls even more adamantly against it - since the quarterfinals will NOT be played in Boise or Albuquerque, for example)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The problems a "selection committee" creates ought to be obvious at first glance:

1) if they DO select the top four, there was no reason to have them at all

2) if they DO NOT select the top four, SEVERAL teams with "competing claims" get upset (which, uh, is the same problem both the BCS AND this are SUPPOSED to reduce/eliminate).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.