Beggars on the corner

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
They weren't "homeless", per se, as they were coming back to Alabama (Birmingham, I think I remember from the tag) to live with her mother (couple, two kids). They were sitting on the back of their station wagon on the side of the I-10, so I stopped. They were almost out of gas (I verified) and had no money. It was in Mississippi, so I had them follow me to the next exit and I filled their wagon up and let them by food on my Chevron card (back then I didn't have a visa or mastercard, wish I didn't now). I don't know if they had enough gas to make it to Birmingham or not, but I felt for the kids. They weren't but one step away from living under an interstate somewhere. The guy and his wife both thanked me profusely and wanted my address so they could pay me back, but I just told them to pass it on and do something to help someone else out sometime.
And those were the ones who were really in need.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I used to live off Green Springs Highway in Homewood and used to eat at the Subway there a lot. There was this deaf guy who'd come in and would walk up to the table you were eating at and would put a card on the table that had some Bible verse on it. Then he'd stand there and wait for you to give him money. When you didn't, he'd get mad and take the card back and stomp off.
Very "Christian" of him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I happen to know ASL. I always sign back "How are you?" I can think of only one incident where the individual really was deaf/mute and knew what I was saying. I gave him $5. Probably shouldn't have, but I did...
I saw the guy on more than one occasion and I'm pretty sure he was really deaf and mute. A guy I knew at the time who had owned a restaurant in the area said he used to come in his place until he kicked him out.

I never game him any money.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I happen to know ASL. I always sign back "How are you?" I can think of only one incident where the individual really was deaf/mute and knew what I was saying. I gave him $5. Probably shouldn't have, but I did...
I ran into him once also. I gave him $2. Normally, I wouldn't have. But his deafness and script A t-shirt caught me off-guard.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I saw the guy on more than one occasion and I'm pretty sure he was really deaf and mute. A guy I knew at the time who had owned a restaurant in the area said he used to come in his place until he kicked him out.

I never game him any money.
I wouldn't have given him anything, but there's a bit of a background. When I was just a kid, there was a barber in the shop where I got my hair cut that was deaf mute. He seemed lonely, so I started in to learn ASL. Never forgot it. Years later, perhaps eight or so, I was in college and with a group driving down from from T-Town to Mobile. There was a chain gang working in the median, near Mobile, when #69 went to four lane somewhere around Theodore. They'd slowed traffic down and I looked over and the former barber was on the chain gang. He and I locked eyes for a very long several seconds.

They're frequently misunderstood. Years after that, I had a friend whose client was also deaf mute and was accused of aggravated assault. He was a tree nursery worker. He'd cold-cocked two guys with two right hooks. ("Deaf" does not mean "weak.") As I questioned him, his story, naturally came out quite differently than theirs. They were harassing him; it was almost dark, and, basically, he didn't know what was going on. When they moved in and got physical, he took care of them both. With their broken jaws, they wanted redress. I volunteered to interpret.

At the trial, the two guys with broken jaws testified first, and then our defendant did. When the assistant DA, a fine man, I might add, got up, he said "Earle, aren't you going to interpret for me?" I said "Jim, you know I don't have to." However, I did. He failed to put me under oath, but I played it down the middle. The judge was very deaf and wore two hearing aids, so, as you might expect, the defendant was acquitted. In fact, the judge tried to get me to take him to Beltone. I had to explain that he had been profoundly nerve-deaf since birth and there was no help for him, at that time.

After the trial, the prosecutor told me that, when the defendant described what he'd done to the complainants, he pounded his fist into his hand, "I thought I had him then." I just smiled and didn't remind him of the two wires dangling from the judge's ears...

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I was in Vegas years back and a dude had a sign that read "I can not lie, I just want a beer". Gave him a few bucks, at least his sign was more truthful.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Don't really see it much at all out here in the northernmost wilds of Gwinnett County. Not sure if the police run them off or not. When we were in Tampa recently (hometown), they are everywhere. And, they wear county issued - apparently - orange vests so that they really stand out. A few of them are selling newspapers, but the vast majority are just begging. When I was living and working in Tampa, there used to be this scumbag woman with four little kids that would beg for money. One day, we told her that we could get her some food for the kids, and she got really angry and stormed off. Later that week, one of the truck drivers saw her wasted out of her mind in a ditch nearby. No idea where the kids were, but I'm guessing it wasn't a pleasant place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.