C
Reese Dismukes, AURyan Kelly, UAMike Matthews, TAM

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Hunter Henry has to be somewhere on there. At least above Uzomah
Valid point you have, I think, but in fairness to Jess -- and I imagine this may have been the thinking on his end -- it's hard to put a guy like Henry up there with all of the issues surrounding him on the Arkansas offense. He had a nice season a year ago despite that, of course, and he may do it again this season, too, but then again it's also not exactly unheard of to see talented guys like that get dragged down by poor surrounding circumstances and finish up a season with 19 catches for 200 yards.

gohogs14

Suspended
Jan 27, 2012
Valid point you have, I think, but in fairness to Jess -- and I imagine this may have been the thinking on his end -- it's hard to put a guy like Henry up there with all of the issues surrounding him on the Arkansas offense. He had a nice season a year ago despite that, of course, and he may do it again this season, too, but then again it's also not exactly unheard of to see talented guys like that get dragged down by poor surrounding circumstances and finish up a season with 19 catches for 200 yards.
That's fair, and I've actually seen him left off of a lot of preseason SEC lists which surprises me since he put up the best numbers a year ago. OJ Howard should have a monster year too though. But Bielema's history with the TE is pretty good. I would put those two as my top 2.

I've also seen a lot of lists including Alex Collins but I feel like he will be splitting time with two other backs too much to end up on any postseason teams. I'm not sure Jonathan Williams isn't the better back. Just my opinion of course.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I might actually put Collins up over Yeldon. I think while Collins may split more carries this year then last, he'll still be the hub of the offense. I think with the ever expanding options on campus, Yeldon won't have a big enough year to be 1st team.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Umm how do you think Baylor has become a perennial winners??? Under CAB they have had 2 losing, 2 mediocre, and 2 good seasons. Until they learn how to play defense they will never win a NC let alone make the 4 team playoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Umm how do you think Baylor has become a perennial winners??? Under CAB they have had 2 losing, 2 mediocre, and 2 good seasons. Until they learn how to play defense they will never win a NC let alone make the 4 team playoff.

Not so fast, my friend. A one-loss-or-less Baylor that wins the Big12-2 is a strong likelihood to be in the playoff. It is a scenario that isn't all that hard to imagine occurring.

PS Is this supposed to be in the Top 25 prediction thread? ;)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Not so fast, my friend. A one-loss-or-less Baylor that wins the Big12-2 is a strong likelihood to be in the playoff. It is a scenario that isn't all that hard to imagine occurring.

PS Is this supposed to be in the Top 25 prediction thread? ;)
Yes I know but defense will always be their Achilles heel. RG3 couldn't save them from that which cost them the Big 12/BCS bowl.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Interesting seeing Byrd (USC) on list (3rd team). USC needs him to have that type season.

I like the Yeldon pick at 1st team RB, maybe a little sophmoritist last year, but I think he has the tools to be All American.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Baylor will have its third 10+ win season in four years this year, not to mention at least one conference title, one Heisman and one BCS game trip (plus a decent possibility at one more of each this season). Alabama standards notwithstanding, that's pretty much the textbook definition of a perennial winner these days.

And you're wrong on them not making the Final Four without real improvement on defense. Could an 11-1 Baylor win the Big 12 and get a berth, especially with the SEC looking at a bit of a down year? Absolutely. They might not be able to make much noise when they get there, of course, but just getting there is a real possibility with what they have now.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Baylor will have its third 10+ win season in four years this year, not to mention at least one conference title, one Heisman and one BCS game trip (plus a decent possibility at one more of each this season). Alabama standards notwithstanding, that's pretty much the textbook definition of a perennial winner these days.

And you're wrong on them not making the Final Four without real improvement on defense. Could an 11-1 Baylor win the Big 12 and get a berth, especially with the SEC looking at a bit of a down year? Absolutely. They might not be able to make much noise when they get there, of course, but just getting there is a real possibility with what they have now.
Actually you're the one that's wrong about the 4 team playoff. What do the rest of the power 5 conferences have in common that the Big 12 doesn't, a conference championship game. Unless Baylor (or even OU) goes undefeated in regular season they probably will not jump an undefeated or one loss team from the other conferences. That hurt Okie lite in 2011 an will hurt the Big 12 again this year.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Awbarn with more off linemen as 1st team than us. aTm with as many 2nd team as us. [Gag] Time for Cristobal and co. to remedy that nauseating situation. Let's see Crimson Tide running bacls clearing the LOS untouched with regularity and quarterbacks with time to read progressions.

Only 1 Alabama selection of the 3-deep for def line. Same for the secondary. Not thrilled about that, either. Okay, men, let's change that, too.

I don't get what the Baylor and playoff discussion has to do with all-SEC team(s) and/or NARCAS. ;) And I contributed to the discussion!

What in the wide world of sports is NARCAS? :biggrin2:

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Actually you're the one that's wrong about the 4 team playoff. What do the rest of the power 5 conferences have in common that the Big 12 doesn't, a conference championship game. Unless Baylor (or even OU) goes undefeated in regular season they probably will not jump an undefeated or one loss team from the other conferences. That hurt Okie lite in 2011 an will hurt the Big 12 again this year.
The notion that an undefeated Big 12 team will be left out of the playoff is sheer nonsense, and the notion that a one-loss Big 12 champion would necessarily be left out is only a tiny bit less absurd. If you really believe those two things will come to fruition, you need to head to Vegas immediately.

The only conference at this juncture that could feasibly get in two teams is the SEC, and the only way that a one-loss Big 12 champion will be left out for the foreseeable future in that scenario is if there is a powerhouse one-loss SEC team that has otherwise been dominant (such as 2011 Alabama). Otherwise, a one-loss Big 12 team will likely be in most years without issue.

The lack of a conference championship game may hurt them a bit with the Selection Committee in a close race, but even that's debatable because (1) those two still play quality opponents in the final week of play (Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State and Baylor v. Kansas State), (2) many conference championship games outside of the SEC are snoozer affairs with overmatched opponents, and (3) as it relates to the SEC, there is a real possibility that the one-loss SEC team that makes its way into the playoff may not even play in the SECCG either (see 2011 Alabama and 2012 Florida).

And speaking of Oklahoma State in 2011, they would have easily made the playoff had it been in place in 2011, conference championship game or not. Bill Hancock expressly stated as such not even two weeks ago.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The notion that an undefeated Big 12 team will be left out of the playoff is sheer nonsense, and the notion that a one-loss Big 12 champion would necessarily be left out is only a bit less absurd. If you really believe those two things will come to fruition, you need to head to Vegas. The only conference at this juncture that could feasibly get in two teams is the SEC, and the only way that a one-loss Big 12 champion will be left out for the foreseeable future is if there is a powerhouse one-loss SEC team that has otherwise been dominant (such as 2011 Alabama).

The lack of a conference championship game may hurt them a bit with the Selection Committee in a close race, but even that's debatable because (1) those two still play quality opponents in the final week of play (Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State and Baylor v. Kansas State), (2) many conference championship games outside of the SEC are snoozer affairs with overmatched opponents, and (3) as it relates to the SEC, there is a real possibility that the one-loss SEC team that makes its way into the playoff may not even play in the SECCG either (see 2011 Alabama and 2012 Florida).

And speaking of Oklahoma State in 2011, they would have easily made the playoff had it been in place in 2011, conference championship game or not. Bill Hancock expressly stated as such not even two weeks ago.
Whoa I didn't say an undefeated Big 12 team would get left out. I said unless they go undefeated they may get left out. Despite what Bill Hancock may have said. Alabama still barely edged out Okie lite. There is no way if they play that extra game and win it that is isn't enough to push them over Alabama in the polls.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Probably should know this; what/who is NARCAS?
I was going to compare it to vodoo economics, but thought it too severe an insult to vodoo economics. The following is an old definition/description of NARCAS. It still feels like it's just somone's opinion...

The NARCAS System

The NARCAS (North American Recruiting Coaching and Athletics Survey) System ranks players on a 10-point scale, with a perfect score of 10.0 being the highest.

10.0: A player receiving a ranking of 10.0 is either the best at his position or should be considered so close to the best that differentiating between those players is impossible. He is a safe bet to play early, possibly even start as a true freshman. Few players receive this ranking.

9.8-9.9: A player receiving a ranking in this scale has the potential to play as a true freshman (or an entering JUCO player) and more than likely will. Players at this range are near the top of their respective positions.

9.5-9.7: Players in this range should contribute early. They might play as true freshman but more than likely will contribute heavily as redshirt freshmen. The higher the ranking, the earlier they can be expected to play and the more they can be expected to contribute.

9.2-9.4: Players in this range will probably redshirt. Those that do not are projected to play only sparingly as freshmen. These players usually do not realize their potential until a year or two into their career.

8.9-9.1: These players usually need several years and good coaching to be contributors. In many cases, they are not expected to achieve the level of long-term starter.

8.5-8.8: These players are projected to be mostly role players. They will need very good coaching to reach the level of contributor or especially that of a starter.

0.0-8.4: NARCAS does not rank players in this range. Players in this range will be represented by the "*.*" ranking, explained below.

*.*: This should be considered a grade of No Rank/Insufficient Data. All kickers receive this rank, as do players about whom NARCAS cannot gather enough information to properly rank. Also, players who score below an 8.5 will be represented by this rank.

Disclaimer: The NARCAS rankings, like those of any other recruiting service, are completely subjective in nature and have no bearing on a prospect's ultimate level of performance. NARCAS gathers its information through various sources, including coaches, talent evaluators and sportswriters. They should be considered for entertainment purposes only.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Is there any player ranking system that isn't?
They all are. No matter how objective each rating service tries to be, they all go back to someone's opinions and a handful of numbers, some of which can't be believed (camp 40-times, most specifically). Some do it better than others. We've been at it almost 18 years now. We were either the first or second online site to at least make an attempt at quantifying our ratings through a numerical system (I believe the original BamaOnline may have beaten us to the punch by a couple of months, if that) and we've had a pretty good run of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.