Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

Article 2014 Previews: Projected SEC standings and top 25

2014 Previews: Projected SEC standings and top 25
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    July 22nd, 2014 02:31 AM

Projected 2014 SEC standings SEC East         SEC West       Team   Overall SEC   Team   Overall SEC 1. Georgia   12-1 8-1   1. Alabama   11-1 7-1 2. South Carolina   11-1 7-1   2. LSU   10-2 6-2 3. Florida   7-5 4-4   3. Auburn […]

Read More Here
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

2. Advertisement

Re: 2014 Previews: Projected SEC standings and top 25

i have to say, i was a bit surprised that ya'll pick georgia at #1
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

IMO, FSU will probably win it all again this year assuming Winston stays healthy and out of central booking. I got us dropping two games again this year.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I thought Ga has to replace 4 of their O-line? If so they need more than just a QB.

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toddrn View Post
    I thought Ga has to replace 4 of their O-line? If so they need more than just a QB.
    I was under that impression as well. Depending on what site you visit I've seen that number at 3 also.
    Last edited by bamagradinATL; July 22nd, 2014 at 08:52 AM.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    I was under that impression as well. Depending on what site you visit I've seen that number at also.
    Awfully unproven defensive backfield, too, and if the Georgia quarterback play is what we saw in the bowl game, we'll all be happy to play them in the Dome.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toddrn View Post
    Experience ( Career OL Starts Returning ) is a better indicator than just OL Starters Returning. UGA is ranked #81 with 54.

SC and *u are tied at #11 with 113. Bama is #107 with 37.

BamaNation First Team

I think it unreal if Penn St finishes in the top 25. I would have thought they would not make the top 75 for 5 years.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

wow someone picks against the favorite in the east (USCe). still I think USCe has it since UGA has to travel to both Columbias and has to play a Florida team probably playing for their coach's job (which is always scary).
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Just curious about Georgia's 12-1 and 8-1 record. They only play 8 SEC games right?

Or if you are picking them to beat Bama in the SECCG, wouldn't that make Bama's SEC record 11-2 and 7-2?

Just confused that you have Georgia playing one more game than anybody else.

I also think Georgia will be the best in the East. I sure hope Bama is the best in the West.
    Bama 876-315-44 72.7% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    wow someone picks against the favorite in the east (USCe). still I think USCe has it since UGA has to travel to both Columbias and has to play a Florida team probably playing for their coach's job (which is always scary).
    Yeah, I think Florida takes the cocktail party this year.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

FB | REC Moderator

I know it's going to be the recurring theme of this thread, but I just can't at all get behind the pick of Georgia as the #1 team in the country. Always love the work, Jess, and certainly respect the opinion, but I just think you're wildly off the mark with that one.

Basic overview of Georgia is as follows: 8-5 team a year ago (which included two wins in overtime), having to replace a four-year starter at quarterback, with an offensive line also breaking in a new rebuild; defense has talent but needs turn potential-into-performance under a new DC; in a weak division, but OOC schedule is pretty tough and does pick up Auburn on the inter-divisional schedule.

To me, that's just not at all the basic build of a true national championship contender, much less a pre-season number one when you have a defending national champion like Florida State who will walk into the Final Four without breaking a sweat in the first thirteen weeks of the season.

Granted, I do think Georgia will improve from a year ago, and I do think they are the prohibitive favorite in the SEC East, which admittedly looks to be a weak division. Still, even adjusting for divisional weakness, I still see that as a huge jump to consider them a real contender on the national stage. It's a possibility on some level, sure, but to imagine all of the things that would need to happen for that to come to fruition -- Mason being a standout, the OL coming together, Pruitt working wonders with the defense, injury luck and luck in close games -- that's just a bridge too far for me.