JessN: 2014 Previews: Projected SEC standings and top 25

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Last time UGA had to replace the OL to that degree was the Blackout Year and we know how that worked out. With the OL and their secondary as scary as it is I simply see no way they go 12-1, but that's why they play the games.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Muschamp may field a better team than most figure for the Gators. Last year you could have taken the injured players from The Bulldogs and Gators and fielded a very good team. A little luck on the injury side of things this year and Yeah, I see Muschamp contending for the SECCG.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Just curious about Georgia's 12-1 and 8-1 record. They only play 8 SEC games right?

Or if you are picking them to beat Bama in the SECCG, wouldn't that make Bama's SEC record 11-2 and 7-2?

Just confused that you have Georgia playing one more game than anybody else.
It was just a typo, has been corrected. Sorry about that.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm not going to make a strong argument against anyone who has called the UGA pick questionable. This year is going to be pretty nuts, I'm betting.

I held off responding until our "Rating the Units" article published, which it did this evening. It sort of fleshes out why we think Georgia is as good a bet as any to be there at the end.

The overarching point here is I don't think there is a team out there this year, from any conference, that could run away and hide with the trophy. If Jacob Coker is everything Alabama fans have dreamed of, Alabama may be the only team that could pull it off. But Alabama's kicking game broke down at the end of last season and I see no reason to believe yet that it's been fixed. It's awful tough to win a title without kickers. At least Alabama won't lack for athleticism on coverage and return teams.

Georgia's biggest obstacle isn't the QB -- it's Richt's management style. As for their OL, it's three starters they're replacing and they've got some good talent among the newbies. USC has to replace more on defense than UGA, so I'm not sure I buy the logic that USC is all that better off.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I'm not going to make a strong argument against anyone who has called the UGA pick questionable. This year is going to be pretty nuts, I'm betting.

I held off responding until our "Rating the Units" article published, which it did this evening. It sort of fleshes out why we think Georgia is as good a bet as any to be there at the end.

The overarching point here is I don't think there is a team out there this year, from any conference, that could run away and hide with the trophy. If Jacob Coker is everything Alabama fans have dreamed of, Alabama may be the only team that could pull it off. But Alabama's kicking game broke down at the end of last season and I see no reason to believe yet that it's been fixed. It's awful tough to win a title without kickers. At least Alabama won't lack for athleticism on coverage and return teams.

Georgia's biggest obstacle isn't the QB -- it's Richt's management style. As for their OL, it's three starters they're replacing and they've got some good talent among the newbies. USC has to replace more on defense than UGA, so I'm not sure I buy the logic that USC is all that better off.
USC has issues at the corners as well. No clear top dog in the SECE. Mizzou defending SECE champ, but they lost a ton. USC lost the least in numbers, but what they did lose was high quality (Shaw, Ellington, Clowney, Quarles, Hampton). UF was a train wreck last year, but a healthy Florida team could be a contender if the qb just doesn't suck. No clear leader, but UGA is as good a pick as any.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
No doubt the QB position at Florida will be the key.

But the same could be said for all the SEC programs, couldn't it?

In Florida's case - due to last year's injury riddled season - Florida's returning starters have a boatload of experience under their belts....

Defense:

1. Dante Fowler: 12 starts, one of only 5 Gators to start every game
  2. Vernon Hargreaves: 10 starts, played in 12 games
  3. Michael Taylor: 10 starts, played in 11 games
  4. Leon Orr: 8 starts, played in 12 games
  5. Jonathan Bullard: 8 starts, played in 10 games
  6. Antonio Morrison: 7 starts, played in 8 games
  7. Neiron Ball: 7 starts, played in 12 games
  8. Darious Cummings: 6 starts, played in 11 games
  9. Brian Poole: 6 starts, played in 11 games
  10. Jabari Gorman: 5 starts, played in 12 games
  11. Marcus Maye: 2 starts, played in 12 games
  12. Jarrad Davis: 1 start, played in 12 games

Offense:

1. Quinton Dunbar: 12 starts, one of only 5 gators to start every game
  2. Max Garcia: 12 starts, one of only 5 gators to start every game
  3. Clay Burton: 9 starts, played in 12 games
  4. Hunter Joyer: 7 starts, played in 12 games
  5. Tyler Moore: 6 starts, played in 7 games
  6. DJ Humphries: 6 starts, played in 7 games
  7. Trenton Brown: 5 starts, played in 12 games
  8. Matt Jones: 5 starts, played in 5 games
  9. Kelvin Taylor: 4 starts, played in 10 games
  10. Jeff Driskel: 3 starts, played in 3 games (12 starts in 2012)
  11. Mack Brown: 2 starts, played in 12 games
  12. Tevin Westbrook: 2 starts, played in 12 games
  13. Gideon Ajagbe: 2 starts, played in 12 games
  14. Chaz Green: 0 starts 2014 (19 career starts, played in 20 games)
  15. Andre Debose: 0 starts 2014 (8 career starts, played in 31 games)

So far (knock on wood)..........NO injuries or suspensions for expected starters.

This is going to be an epic season for the SEC.

Hopefully a chance for Florida to get back to the SECCG vs. Bama and give us some of those memorable battles we all loved so much :)

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
It's awful tough to win a title without kickers.
It sure is. Alabama lost 4 games that McCarron started, and 2 of those were due to abject failure in the kicking game. A third (OU Sugar Bowl) was a direct result of one of the kicking game implosions (AU), so the way I see it is we would have only one single loss since 2010 if we had fielded just a consistently competent kicking game during that time. A program like Alabama should never have to sweat a FG inside the 30 yard line.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.