JessN: 2014 Previews: Projected SEC standings and top 25

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Remember ut in 1998 with T$$ Martin. The year after Manning left.
Bama, Nebraska, and Florida weren't as talented as they were in 98 kinda was set up for them . Uga has tougher games than ut did in 98 plus the west is the premier division not the east

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Two big points to be made here:

(1) SEC is a lot stronger now than it was in 1998. Back in 1998, you had Dubose, Bowden, Dinardo, Donnan, and company, and that's a luxury you certainly don't get today.

(2) Even considering the point above, years like Tennessee in 1998 are extreme aberrations. That's just not something you can really expect to replicate with any consistency.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Georgia can be #1 with a new qb, I don't see why we can't...besides we have better over-all talent and a favorable schedule too!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
add me to the UGA Doubters

they constantly fall short with far more than they have on paper than they have this year. Why would anyone think that they'd finally over-achieve?

Their Defense has been decimated by injuries and arrests this offseason. They have as weak of a secondary as anyone in the SEC including A&M and they just took another blow to the DL with the arrest today. Yeah, just not seeing it

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Hard to see us going 0-8 again. Surely one of them will go our way after being close to getting 6 wins last year. Schedule doesn't do us any favors though.
I kind of tend to think you guys find a win somewhere (perhaps even two), but admittedly going through the schedule it's hard to pick any one in particular, and more likely than not Arkansas will be underdogs in every SEC game this season. Best two chances, in my opinion, are Mississippi State and Missouri, but the problem is that (1) both are on the road, and (2) getting Mizzou in the season finale doesn't allow you guys to take full advantage of all of their new faces as you could have done had you drawn them early.

If Arkansas were in the East, I'd have no problem penciling them in for wins against Kentucky and Tennessee, and perhaps even Vandy, but that's just not how the schedule works out. I imagine Bielema can find a win somewhere, but really another 0-8 campaign couldn't be considered a real surprise. I think Jess is well within the reasonable range of probability in predicting that as an outcome.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I think you are underestimating what Murray was to that team. They get Gurley and Marshall back. The defense needs toughness, I'm not sure Pruitt can give that to them, though they have a lot of talent.

Confusing pick, but it's very interesting. UGA ought to be good though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I lived in Atlanta for 15 years, if I had a $1 for every time I heard that I'd be rich.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I can't see Georgia winning the East, much less finishing #1 in the nation.

Mark Richt can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag with a championship on the line and now we're expecting him to win 3 such games in a row?

Not happening.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Two big points to be made here:

(1) SEC is a lot stronger now than it was in 1998. Back in 1998, you had Dubose, Bowden, Dinardo, Donnan, and company, and that's a luxury you certainly don't get today.

(2) Even considering the point above, years like Tennessee in 1998 are extreme aberrations. That's just not something you can really expect to replicate with any consistency.
While on that subject, believe it or not, there has not been a repeat SEC Champion since ut 1997-98.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
...{regarding UT winning in 1998 with Tee Martin starting in year one after Manning left}

2013: FSU - Jameis Winston: 1st year as starter
2012: Alabama - AJ McCarron: 2nd year as starter
2011: Alabama - AJ McCarron: 1st year as starter
2010: Auburn - Cam Newton: 1st year as starter
2009: Alabama - Greg McElroy: 1st year as starter
2008: Florida - Tim Tebow: 2nd year as starter
2007: LSU - Matt Flynn: 1st (full) year as starter
2006: Florida - Chris Leak: 3rd year as starter with Tim Tebow: 1st year as starter

I don't know. Teams with 1st year starters seem to have pretty good success. I really believe some of this phenomenon is due to teams not being able to prepare as well because they don't have as much film to study. Now, I will say that in these cases, the 1st year QB has typically had some kind of experience before the season started.

Now, following Peyton Manning, yeah, 1998 was an aberration. But Murray wasn't Manning. I don't think Georgia will be #1. But, having a new QB isn't so much a knock on a team now as it is a reason to pick them...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I don't know. Teams with 1st year starters seem to have pretty good success. I really believe some of this phenomenon is due to teams not being able to prepare as well because they don't have as much film to study. Now, I will say that in these cases, the 1st year QB has typically had some kind of experience before the season started.

Now, following Peyton Manning, yeah, 1998 was an aberration. But Murray wasn't Manning. I don't think Georgia will be #1. But, having a new QB isn't so much a knock on a team now as it is a reason to pick them...
Couple of points:

(1) You are right that first year starters generally tend to do pretty well in college football, and I don't necessarily hold that as a whole against UGA. You have a decent (even if not great) QB with a strong supporting cast around him -- which basically is the entire list that you have, sans Newton and to a lesser extent Winston -- and that's generally enough. All of that said, I'm not sure any of that really applies to Georgia this year, because the OL is being rebuilt and because there is no true star at WR, not to mention the fact that the defense is still unproven (even if talented with a promising new DC on the way).

(2) My point on 1998 Tennessee wasn't necessarily pointed directly at the Manning-to-Martin succession, but instead more generally just to the entire course of events that somehow all fell in their favor that year. They started out with a much weaker SEC in those days, then they had squeaker wins over both Syracuse (which was a middling team) and Florida, and then the literal Hand of God play to bail them out against Arkansas. Of course, then the Vols get a weak MSU in Atlanta, which looked poised to pull the upset before a fourth quarter meltdown, and then they get FSU in the BCSNCG facing what amounted to a third-string quarterback. Regardless of what you have under center, that's just a really strange, wacky set of circumstances that is incredibly atypical, and one that really no one could ever expect to fall in their favor.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Stop the presses...................

Muschamp predicts Gators to win the SEC East

Muschamp said this is his most complete team and his most talented offense during his four seasons in Gainesville. Muschamp also reiterated his belief redshirt quarterback Jeff Driskel will have a "breakout year" in the up-tempo, shotgun-oriented scheme of new offensive coordinator Kurt Roper.
========

Going to be a heck of a season is all I can say.

I don't see Florida losing to the leghumpers again this year and I also think they can prevail over USCe so with those two defeats anything is possible.

We'll see.....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Stop the presses....................
That's more bad sportswriting than anything else. Muschamp never predicted that Florida would win the East, he merely said he "felt good" about them going to Atlanta, and that "I think Florida" is the favorite to win the East, neither of which are particularly noteworthy.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Going out on a limb here and assume Jeremy Pruitt is considered the difference maker to finally get Georgia to the promised land. If this guy is all that, got to believe he has a head coaching job waiting for him, somewhere, next season.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Going out on a limb here and assume Jeremy Pruitt is considered the difference maker to finally get Georgia to the promised land. If this guy is all that, got to believe he has a head coaching job waiting for him, somewhere, next season.
Good point - he's an excellent coach so will be interesting to see the impact he makes. I'm sure we'll see an improvement.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Good point - he's an excellent coach so will be interesting to see the impact he makes. I'm sure we'll see an improvement.
Defensive coordinators are certainly difference makers. Before "Chief" found his way to Baton Rouge, Less Miles was in a world of trouble with his co-defensive coordinators going belly up and the spread Crowton offense stealing their power game. The biggest shame of it all, Chavis has no ambition about being a head coach. He's a lifer. Could Richt have struck pay dirt, finally? I hope not.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Couple of points:

(1) You are right that first year starters generally tend to do pretty well in college football, and I don't necessarily hold that as a whole against UGA. You have a decent (even if not great) QB with a strong supporting cast around him -- which basically is the entire list that you have, sans Newton and to a lesser extent Winston -- and that's generally enough. All of that said, I'm not sure any of that really applies to Georgia this year, because the OL is being rebuilt and because there is no true star at WR, not to mention the fact that the defense is still unproven (even if talented with a promising new DC on the way).

(2) My point on 1998 Tennessee wasn't necessarily pointed directly at the Manning-to-Martin succession, but instead more generally just to the entire course of events that somehow all fell in their favor that year. They started out with a much weaker SEC in those days, then they had squeaker wins over both Syracuse (which was a middling team) and Florida, and then the literal Hand of God play to bail them out against Arkansas. Of course, then the Vols get a weak MSU in Atlanta, which looked poised to pull the upset before a fourth quarter meltdown, and then they get FSU in the BCSNCG facing what amounted to a third-string quarterback. Regardless of what you have under center, that's just a really strange, wacky set of circumstances that is incredibly atypical, and one that really no one could ever expect to fall in their favor.
Sorry I misinterpreted... The post you responded to said:
So I thought you were responding to the Tee Martin thing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Couple of points:

the real hero for the Vols that year was Nick Saban because if MSTU doesn't pull the upset on the suckeyes Krispy Kreme doesn't have a championship.
So a lot had to happen for the still talented Tennessee team to win it but as far as their road to get there.... It wasn't really that rocky

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.