Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
The tale of the tape for the Akbar Black Bears

Why they’ll be good:

· Several players in key positions returning, particularly at the QB position

· Talent, talent, talent

Why they’ll be bad:

· For all the talent they’ve had, it hasn’t necessarily transferred to the field in the form of wins

· Boom or Bust for Wallace. Either he’ll be a Heisman candidate or a disaster

· Off the field issues from star players

Schedule prediction

vs. Boise St. – W

@ Vandy – W

vs. LA-Lafayette – W

vs. Memphis – W

vs. Bama – L

@ TAMU – L

vs. Tennessee – L

@ LSU – L

vs. Auburn – W

vs. Presbyterian – W

@ Arkansas – W

vs. Mississippi St. – W

Summary –

Their 2013 signing class reminds me a lot of our 2008 class. A lot of playmakers who will be stars at the next level if they can all stay out of trouble. Among their veterans, Denzel Nkemdiche is suspended for the Boise St. game due to a frat house skirmish on the offseason, but it won’t matter. This isn’t the same Boise team that beat UGA a couple of season ago. Speaking to that, in my opinion, This will really be the tale of 3 seasons for Ole Miss. I don’t see a middle ground for Bo Wallace. Either he’ll have a season that we’ll all remember or he’ll have one that all Ole Miss fans would like to forget (think Jevan Snead in 2009).

I said last year during the Vandy game that this team is loaded with 5-star talented, but restricted by 2-star coaching. Robert Nkemdiche, DB Antonio Connor, WR Laquon Treadwell, OL Laremy Tunsil…these guys are big time players. And they’re too talented to just stink the season up. But I think they’ll come out strong and win their first 4 games with little resistance outside of LaLa. The Bama game will deflate them and send them on a month long spiral. The TAMU game is a toss-up, but I think with TAMU’s home field advantage coupled with the Bama game hangover will get TAMU the W. Tennessee has a homecoming game against UT-Chattanooga before they roll into Vaught-Hemingway, so they’ll be well rested while Ole Miss is coming off of two grueling games. And then they’ll go to Tiger Stadium reeling and take a 4th straight loss. But that’s all the losing they’ll do. They’ll pretty much validate all of their pre-season hype with a strong finish that includes home wins vs. Auburn and in-state rival Miss. St.

Very good season, but still 8-4. That’s who they are. For all the hype they have coming into the season, they will be a very good 8-4 (9-4 with a bowl victory) team. That’s their ceiling.

Your thoughts?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Bo Wallace is one of those contenders for "SEC Senior QB who turns it around in his swan song season"...and I think that looms large on Ole Miss' viability in the bowl slotting and backdoor West contention discussion. Their schedule is relatively manageable. The meat is in the middle where they catch all their major West opponents over a five week stretch (Alabama, @TAMU, @LSU, Auburn). The front and back end are setup for making a solid record...the discriminator is the five week spree through the West.

If Bo Wallace doesn't greatly improve on his ability to protect the football, I don't see Ole Miss being anything more than a real tough football team that shoots themselves in the foot too much to string together a real run. The talent is there around him to just be a manager and mitigate against his fumble and interception bug. Its worth noting that Ole Miss getting a bit more physical with the run could help this problem too. If we see an Ole Miss team that grinds it more on the ground and avoids mistakes, this could be a scary team on any given Saturday.

Still, I think 9-3 is their top end ceiling without teams around them in the West collapsing (a la the East in 2013).

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
@ TAMU – L <--- I kinda disagree with this. TAMU is losing players left and right on Defense and it could be the year TAMU will struggle big time. The offense Ole Miss has is pretty good.. Expect a shootout game, but Ole pulls upset.

vs. Tennessee – L <-- Tennessee is still young, but Ole has some veterans that will expose some of the Tennessee issues.

@ LSU – L <- Im tore on LSU... Its a tossup

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I think they go 9-3. I'm not sure we spank them because we'll be breaking in a new QB and some guys in the secondary. I don't think our game takes enough out of them to cause them to lose to A&M and I don't think that games takes enough out of them to cause them to lose to Tennessee. They win both those games because they should be worlds better on defense with a decent offense. LSU is a toss-up. I don't have much faith in LSU as you do. Didn't they lose a bunch up front on defense? And I'm not even sure their QB is even Jefferson-level...plus, and you can't deny this, Ole Miss always plays 'em tough. If they beat A&M and UT as I've predicted their confidence will be sky high heading in the LSU game. They lose to AU cause AU is still pretty good. They later lose to MSU cause they get cocky and Bo one of those games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Schedule prediction

vs. Boise St. – W

@ Vandy – W

vs. LA-Lafayette – W

vs. Memphis – W

vs. Bama – L

@ TAMU – W

vs. Tennessee – W

@ LSU – L

vs. Auburn – W

vs. Presbyterian – W

@ Arkansas – W

vs. Mississippi St. – W

10-2 (6-2)

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I really don't have much faith in Freeze, he cost them big last year playcalling like he didn't htink they could win. If he had kicked field goals and not gone for it every time it would've been a much scarier game. Many of their games that I've watched had very questionable decision making. I also don't have much faith in Wallace, he seems to get very scared with a pass rush and the turnovers start flowing. Part of that I think is he hasn't been healthy for a full season, but it's impossible to know if he will do that this year or not.

8-4/9-3 sounds about right to me I'm just not sure where the losses will come from. I think we will get em, Auburn will get em, and somewhere else (the UT call is intriguing). They seem to have really been challenging LSU since Freeze got there and I think they will get them this year as well.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
@ TAMU – L <--- I kinda disagree with this. TAMU is losing players left and right on Defense and it could be the year TAMU will struggle big time. The offense Ole Miss has is pretty good.. Expect a shootout game, but Ole pulls upset.

vs. Tennessee – L <-- Tennessee is still young, but Ole has some veterans that will expose some of the Tennessee issues.

@ LSU – L <- Im tore on LSU... Its a tossup
So you possibly see Ole Miss as 11-1? Wow... That would be rarified air for them.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I see them winning 7-8 games. At Vandy is a toss up and so is the Barn and for that matter Boise State. I think they lose to Bama, LSU, and State and one or two of the toss up games.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
More like 9-3 or 10-2 ... Freeze has to learn from his mistakes... i think this is the team that will suprise everyone this year. LSU is a big iffy, because they will have a freshman QB/RB and they will have growing pains in SEC. Tennessee.. it depends on their QB performance in the game... TAMU.. C'mon.. they lost lot of people on defense.
So you possibly see Ole Miss as 11-1? Wow... That would be rarified air for them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Schedule prediction

vs. Boise St. – W yeah the SEC gets revenge on a petersonless ponies

@ Vandy – W yep

vs. LA-Lafayette – W yep

vs. Memphis – W yep

vs. Bama – L this game is one of the scarier games for me but a week off should play to our advantage

@ TAMU – L (W) no Im going to say TAMU is not going to be a top 3 in the west and will take a significant sstep back

vs. Tennessee – L (W) no rocky top isn't going pull this one off

@ LSU – L(w) Miles is the better coach, but Freeze has outcoached him both times so I think a young tiger team isn't going to be mature enough to beat the SEC West top 3 which I think Ole miss is.

vs. Auburn – W yeah I think both Mississippi schools get revenge at home against the boogs.

vs. Presbyterian – W yep

@ Arkansas – W yep

vs. Mississippi St. – W(L) im siding more with Prescott and the MSU D-line than I am with Bo Wallace and the Rebel Defense. but should be a toss up

10-2 at least 9 wins

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I can see them winning ten games, but I think 8-4/9-3 seems about right as their up side. I think losses to both Alabama and Auburn, and to some combination of LSU/Tennessee/Mississippi State are likely.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I think ole miss beats Tennessee fairly easily. Tennessee is going to be a mess with their lack of depth on both lines of scrimmage. A&m is unknown, but I think Sumlin is much better than Freeze, so I think a&m wins, but I wouldn't be surprised if OM takes it.

9 wins for the Rebs/Bears.

prediction

vs. Boise St. – W

@ Vandy – W

vs. LA-Lafayette – W

vs. Memphis – W

vs. Bama – L

@ TAMU – W

vs. Tennessee – L? W?

@ LSU – L

vs. Auburn – L

vs. Presbyterian – W

@ Arkansas – W

vs. Mississippi St. – L

That's how I see it. Ole Miss is one of those dark horse teams that are always looming. Then they play Bama and the wheels falls off, including the brakes. 8-4 or 7-5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I can't see Ole Miss winning against LSU or Auburn after 4 and 5 weeks straight of SEC games. Nobody wins 5 SEC games in a row without a break.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think ole miss beats Tennessee fairly easily. Tennessee is going to be a mess with their lack of depth on both lines of scrimmage. A&m is unknown, but I think Sumlin is much better than Freeze, so I think a&m wins, but I wouldn't be surprised if OM takes it.

9 wins for the Rebs/Bears.
Placement of Tennessee means more than the game itself on paper. It's patented landmine game off a tough stretch or ego inflating wins.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
The UT game does look like a trap. But it's going to be rough for Tennessee with 5 new OL.

Sure losses IMO are us, LSU, and Auburn. So 9-3 would be maxed out...more than likely 8-4 with another loss to MSU.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Vandy, with a record good enough to get their HC the job at PSU, couldn't beat Ole Miss last year. Losing their HC and returning the second fewest starters in the SEC does not bode well for them against Ole Miss, which is returning the second most starters in the SEC.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.