News Article: A look at Nick Saban's full schedule of live ESPN interviews at annual 'Car Wash'

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I just heard saving on Cowherd. He made the argument about the hurry up no huddle offense being more conducive to injuries. He pointed out that games are seven times more likely to lead to injuries this practice. He did a fantastic job of making his point. He showed that officials are out of position when the ball is snapped too quickly. Overall he did a great job. He said that it's fine to be quick but if you do that maybe you should eliminate the clock stopping on first downs which would lead to less overall place but would not change the speed of that offenses want to play at.

Overall, I thought to myself that I'm very happy we have Nick Sabin as our coach

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I just don't see how some of these coaches/players do it. I heard that last few minutes of Cowherd's interview with Les Miles yesterday and Cowherd seemed to be taking a few shots at Saban. However, if I had to guess he was singing a different tune once Saban was actually in front of him. I just would have a hard time not calling these guys out on all of the "stuff" they say about these sports figures. These guys just have absolutely no accountability in their profession. And I'm not normally one of the more sensitive types, when it comes to critiquing Bama; but it does annoy me that these guys can take shots at the coaches and players without any type of blow back.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I just don't see how some of these coaches/players do it. I heard that last few minutes of Cowherd's interview with Les Miles yesterday and Cowherd seemed to be taking a few shots at Saban. However, if I had to guess he was singing a different tune once Saban was actually in front of him. I just would have a hard time not calling these guys out on all of the "stuff" they say about these sports figures. These guys just have absolutely no accountability in their profession. And I'm not normally one of the more sensitive types, when it comes to critiquing Bama; but it does annoy me that these guys can take shots at the coaches and players without any type of blow back.
Its just business, ratings, and listeners. Coaches know that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I just heard saving on Cowherd. He made the argument about the hurry up no huddle offense being more conducive to injuries. He pointed out that games are seven times more likely to lead to injuries this practice. He did a fantastic job of making his point. He showed that officials are out of position when the ball is snapped too quickly. Overall he did a great job. He said that it's fine to be quick but if you do that maybe you should eliminate the clock stopping on first downs which would lead to less overall place but would not change the speed of that offenses want to play at.

Overall, I thought to myself that I'm very happy we have Nick Sabin as our coach
Yesterday on College Football Media Days it was Gus, Les Miles and Mark Richt sitting around in a semi circle being interviewed. Mark Richt was asked the question about any issues he had with it. His main point was officials not being in position to make correct calls. You could tell Gussy was sitting there about to explode but kept his mouth shut. But I think this is the biggest issue with it. Teams are getting away with penalties that normally would be called due to the officials aren't in place.

On a side note Gussy was asked if he felt like the up tempo hurry up was "cyclical". He said "no" that the only way to adjust to it would be to change the rules. I thought that was quite interesting.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Yesterday on College Football Media Days it was Gus, Les Miles and Mark Richt sitting around in a semi circle being interviewed. Mark Richt was asked the question about any issues he had with it. His main point was officials not being in position to make correct calls. You could tell Gussy was sitting there about to explode but kept his mouth shut. But I think this is the biggest issue with it. Teams are getting away with penalties that normally would be called due to the officials aren't in place.

On a side note Gussy was asked if he felt like the up tempo hurry up was "cyclical". He said "no" that the only way to adjust to it would be to change the rules. I thought that was quite interesting.
I would agree with the gusmeister for the most part. Just can't change personnel and adjust to scheme fast enough. It could be somewhat affected IF and it's a big IF, our beloved referees would slow down when they spot the ball and not be intimidated by the offensive pace between the whistles. That 40 second clock has created a monster.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I would agree with the gusmeister for the most part. Just can't change personnel and adjust to scheme fast enough. It could be somewhat affected IF and it's a big IF, our beloved referees would slow down when they spot the ball and not be intimidated by the offensive pace between the whistles. That 40 second clock has created a monster.
Yeah, gus' comment was something like "tempo is not cyclical" and that "rule changes" would be the only way to combat it.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Yeah, gus' comment was something like "tempo is not cyclical" and that "rule changes" would be the only way to combat it.

This is truly one of the most disingenuous rules we've had to wade through. The rule makers know very well it's main intent is to keep the defense from substituting. The fix is too simple to ignore. Maybe this year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
This is truly one of the most disingenuous rules we've had to wade through. The rule makers know very well it's main intent is to keep the defense from substituting. The fix is too simple to ignore. Maybe this year.
Yeah, Richt said he didn't necessarily think we needed a "rule change" other than an emphasis on ensuring the officials were properly in place and "ready for play". Which on that part I agree.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Finebaum just interviewed CNS. Ironically, Iman was ranting and raving his usual garbage when Finebaum cut him off for the CNS interview.

It was an excellent interview and CNS discussed this year's team leadership in view of last year's team not finishing strong. CNS basically said that after we beat LSU they didn't practice or play well from that point on.

He said this year he thinks there is better leadership and the team has bought into the process better this year.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Yeah, Richt said he didn't necessarily think we needed a "rule change" other than an emphasis on ensuring the officials were properly in place and "ready for play". Which on that part I agree.

So what do we get, one SEC crew with an extra man to pay attention to all you speak of? It's a small start. The one thing I do hope that will come from all the hurry up controversy this off season is the absolute attention it will draw to the refs fairness. I'd love to see our sideline coaches screaming all game at these guys in stripes for opportunities to get our defense set fairly. Right now all the pressure on these refs is coming from the offensive coaches. I hope we play the game within the game much better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Any one think Gussy might be thinking a little too highly of himself to suggests what he believes is his "brand" he invented (so to speak) might not ever get figured out????

It's going to take a rule change to help teams deal with it???

Nah, because no new offensive styles that dominated ever got figured out like:

Notre Dame: single wing

Alabama/Texas (and many other teams): wishbone

Florida/Steve Spurrier: Fun n gun

NO, THE HUNH IS NOT CYCLICAL. :rolleye2:

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Any one this Gussy might be thinking a little too highly of himself to suggests what he believes is his "brand" he invented (so to speak) might not ever get figured out????

It's going to take a rule change to help teams deal with it???

Nah, because no new offensive styles that dominated ever got figured out like:

Notre Dame: single wing

Alabama/Texas (and many other teams): wishbone

Florida/Steve Spurrier: Fun n gun

NO, THE HUNH IS NOT CYCLICAL. :rolleye2:
Right now I'm not going to agree or disagree with him because to be honest I don't know. Tempo is not necessarily a scheme thing (where as the others you mentioned were) but a "lack of opportunity" thing where you don't give the other team an opportunity to not only sub but in many cases get lined up and ready. I don't think for one second these offenses are unstoppable. But in many cases you have to wait on them to make a mistake more than it is "you" forcing one. By them controlling pace they are able to effectively control the defense as well.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Right now I'm not going to agree or disagree with him because to be honest I don't know. Tempo is not necessarily a scheme thing (where as the others you mentioned were) but a "lack of opportunity" thing where you don't give the other team an opportunity to not only sub but in many cases get lined up and ready. I don't think for one second these offenses are unstoppable. But in many cases you have to wait on them to make a mistake more than it is "you" forcing one. By them controlling pace they are able to effectively control the defense as well.
I agree that the referees need to slow down the pace in order to be able to do their job. Yet, I also think that defensive coaches will eventually adjust to the pace and then, in many ways, it will be just like the other "schemes" from the past that came and now are gone.

CNS is already recruiting, what seems to be a leaner player for this. And while the verdict is still out on if this approach works, somebody (and I wouldn't bet against CNS) will figure it out.

It's the simple reason why the pro-style, old school, style of football will always be relevant IMO.

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
The issue with tempo is as much with what it does to the team overall. Up tempo increases your chances, and it limits options for the defense, but as LSU has shown against AU, that isn't always a way to insure success. On the other hand, if you do get stopped, your defense goes right back out there in a hurry, which is why HUNH teams always appear to have bad defenses. Even when you score, your defense remains tired, and its more tiring to play defense. Wes Neighbors has a radio show here in North Alabama, and he stated it clearest, "defense has to chase the play until the tackle is made, when they ran hurry up, they were told, don't race downfield, just jog to the spot"

HUNH limits the offensive options as well, because they cannot sub either, so once the defense figures you out, you have to change. Defenses will catch up, they ALWAYS do, otherwise, everyone in the NFL would still be running the K-gun or Run and Shoot.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
This stuff is not about "tempo" or running more plays.

It IS about hurrying to the LOS to prevent defensive substitutions, and to allow offensive coaches to analyze the defenders on the field and attack weaknesses. It is unfair in that the defense CANNOT sub unless the offense does, else the offense just snaps for a base run play and either gets defenders out of position, or too many men on the field.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.