Saban on First Take on ESPN2 now

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Coach Saban did take responsibility.....
I must have missed it. I didn't hear him address it at all, other than to say he sensed "complacency" in the players after the LSU game.
He even said, "THEY" stopped respecting what it takes to win.
Understand my friend, and I'll repeat it, I think Coach Saban is the best football coach on the planet.
He has no peer.
But, in my opinion, there should only be one word in a coaches vocabulary when he describes the reasons that a team went a little downhill. That word is, "WE". It's never "THEY".
The coach has the responsibility of sensing the mood of his team and changing it if it's not the mood he feels they need to have to be successful.
I love Coach Saban but if he sensed a complacency setting in after the LSU game, then he should have done what Coach Bryant would have done, and called a midnight sprint session to remind them that the season wasn't over.
Wouldn't you agree with me on that?
sip

TideFaninFl

1st Team
Jul 26, 2003
Merritt Island, FL, USA
I must have missed it. I didn't hear him address it at all, other than to say he sensed "complacency" in the players after the LSU game.
Understand my friend, and I'll repeat it, I think Coach Saban is the best football coach on the planet.
He has no peer.
But, in my opinion, there should only be one word in a coaches vocabulary when he describes the reasons that a team went a little downhill. That word is, "WE". It's never "THEY".
The coach has the responsibility of sensing the mood of his team and changing it if it's not the mood he feels they need to have to be successful.
I love Coach Saban but if he sensed a complacency setting in after the LSU game, then he should have done what Coach Bryant would have done, and called a midnight sprint session to remind them that the season wasn't over.
sip
I went back and listened (well, spot checked) I heard Coach Saban use the words 'we" to describe the end of last year, but he never did say it was his fault (IMHO,it was implied)....

I do think the coaches got on the team (I think the seniors did too), but sometimes the ball takes funny bounces......

I will say this, I will take Alabama being unbeaten at the end of the last regular season game, ranked #1, with a chance to kick a FG to win it every single year.....

I look forward to this season, as last year will be a huge motivation....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I went back and listened (well, spot checked) I heard Coach Saban use the words 'we" to describe the end of last year, but he never did say it was his fault (IMHO,it was implied)....

I do think the coaches got on the team (I think the seniors did too), but sometimes the ball takes funny bounces......

I will say this, I will take Alabama being unbeaten at the end of the last regular season game, ranked #1, with a chance to kick a FG to win it every single year.....

I look forward to this season, as last year will be a huge motivation....
I would have attempted the field goal, and wouldn't have a second thought. It didn't work out.
I have no problem with the decision at all. Freak play.
But as Coach Saban has said many times, "This years team isn't last years team. We have to establish our own identity".
We have a lot of mystery on this years team, especially at QB. Coach even said in the interview, "We have some skill players, but unless you have a QB who can distribute the ball to these players".
He also said, "We have to rebuild the offensive line".
To me, that's the two biggest issues that will determine the future of this seasons team.
I have full confidence in the man and hopefully it will all turn out good.
I'd bet it will.
sip

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
He has no peer.
sip
I will agree . It is easy to get motivated on game day, but if that is the only day you are 'motivated' , you have probably already lost.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
As I listened to Nick's comments about last years team, My thoughts went back to AJ's comments a few months back. The comments AJ took flak for. .. They sounded a lot alike. For those that didn't see it , Nick basically said complacency set in after the LSU game , and the team felt a sense of entitlement and did not do the preparation needed to win.
The LSU game has become the game the kids look toward as the most difficult game of the year. When we beat LSU last year, the team thought they could not be beaten. There was a noticable lack of killer instinct in them. Very UN-Saban like. Even with that we were 1 play away from playing for a 3rd title. I do not think we will be complancent this year until the final whistle blows. Saban has said he wants the fans, the team, the coaches, and the administration the have a restart. Whoa be it to the rest of college football when Saban has the fire in his eyes and instill it in his team. We as fans can't take winning for granted. As coach likes to say winning this week earns you nothing next week.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Even the best coach of this generation cannot MAKE guys FEEL motivated. It is just not that simple to do on a year-to-year, game-to-game basis. Different team make-ups, personalities, chemistries, cliques, whatever you want to call it. It doesn't matter who it is preaching to kid after so much success.

Some time the only way to learn is to "just show up", and lose. We just "showed up" at MSU, and skated by. We just "showed up" against AU, and barely got beat. And then the spiral. "Aw man, we lost?" They weren't listening before. But, now, instead of coming together, ala against Michigan State several years before, they pouted. "Oh, the Sugar Bowl? Meh." And we got our butts handed to us by the Sooners, ala Utah. Sometimes when you don't listen to your doctor, and don't do something about an infection, it'll get out of your control. And no matter your attitude, you can bet your bottom dollar you will go scratchin' and clawin' your way back to that doctor, and you will be ready to listen. "What do I need to do?". We were there going into 2011, and it sounds like we are there now. I hope so.

The man is not perfect. But he's doing alright (understatement of the century). It's like some folks are too spoiled, and actually convinced themselves that we would win every game forevermore after the Texas game. And when we don't.... Well, I get it. But even though there is a "Process", these are not 85 robots we have spun up, ready to go whoop everyone. They have "feelings" - over-confident, very mature, pouting over playing time, homesick, playing at 50-80%, worried about the next dollar, etc, etc, etc. The coaches have a job with a mix like that! I can barely try to keep two kids in line.

So, a "Process" can only work when the participants are 100% all on the same page. And to believe that this will always happen, all of the time, is just unrealistic.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
More like we will see it played back every season for the rest of our lives...especially EVERY single time the 'Iron Bowl' week arrives. That's the worst thing about it and it hit me in the moment it was happening. I will have to watch games on 'tape-delay' from now on when I DVR the season so I can hit the 30 sec skip button everytime I see them start to show it. I don't want to see it or hear it but it's NEVER going away....it's sickening.
i still have not watched it. i saw it coming once the kick was missed and we had nothing but fat guys on the field. every time it has going on since i change the channel or leave the room. i refuse to watch it.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I love hearing these bunch of losers talking about the kick six. They have totally forgotten about the beat downs from the previous two years. They need miracles and plays that will live forever to beat us and we just go out and take care of business and make them quit. Luck runs out eventually.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I've heard last year's iron bowl loss described as gut wrenching, I didn't see it that way. I felt they whipped us thoroghly the second half and overtime was just going to extend the pain.

In my memory there have been many tough losses, many in competative back and forth games that make the classic such a specticle. But the 97 loss was tough because we really had that one won before the fumble and the 2010 disaster because our team was so much better, they just didn't close the second half and the Barron injury opened the door for Cam Newton to do what Cam does.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.