Off Season Problems with Players

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Every year we go through this in the summer. Could be my imagination, but it seems real bad this year nationally. I`m curious as to the Board`s thoughts. Do these kids lack the required level of maturity to understand the opportunity being presented to them? Why is it so hard to not steal, beat up people, get DUI`s, get busted for drugs, etc., etc., etc. ? Is it not enough structured activiities to keep them occupied and just worn out? Or is it that a certain percentage are simply undisciplined thugs that just happen to be great athletes and there ain`t a damned thing you can do about it?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not just college. Plenty of pro guys that get into trouble too. More than anything, many of these players require structure. Offseason restrictions sometimes takes that away, particularly for those who lack strong self discipline

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
At least some of this is perception, as in fading memories. :) You know, how every big heat wave each summer seems hotter than last year, etc.

Also, while there may indeed be more such activity occurring on a national scale, it may also be that simply more is being reported - whether due to internet & social media, more news consumption, reporters and/or law enforcement "looking the other way" less often, etc.

I do think we are seeing, overall, less "maturity" in college age kids as a whole. I don't know if the rate of crime among college athlete is rising at the same rate, though.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
At least some of this is perception, as in fading memories. :) You know, how every big heat wave each summer seems hotter than last year, etc.

Also, while there may indeed be more such activity occurring on a national scale, it may also be that simply more is being reported - whether due to internet & social media, more news consumption, reporters and/or law enforcement "looking the other way" less often, etc.

I do think we are seeing, overall, less "maturity" in college age kids as a whole. I don't know if the rate of crime among college athlete is rising at the same rate, though.
Agree 100%. Just 10 years ago I used to have to wait until my drive home to get the major sports news of the day. Now it's at my fingertips 24/7. In order to fill that space, writers (if you want to call them that) have to report even the smallest of incidents just to fill the lines.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Every year we go through this in the summer. Could be my imagination, but it seems real bad this year nationally. I`m curious as to the Board`s thoughts. Do these kids lack the required level of maturity to understand the opportunity being presented to them? Why is it so hard to not steal, beat up people, get DUI`s, get busted for drugs, etc., etc., etc. ? Is it not enough structured activiities to keep them occupied and just worn out? Or is it that a certain percentage are simply undisciplined thugs that just happen to be great athletes and there ain`t a damned thing you can do about it?
you answered your own question.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
First, we must understand that we're talking about 85+ man teams full of 18-22 year-olds...the most "at-risk" group for criminal activity of any in America. Yes, they have an incredible responsibility as a young man on a full-ride but I've seen plenty of UA presidential or national merit scholars make some bad turns too. This stuff is going to happen when you group together a bunch of young men in college.

Second, I think schools do a good job of educating smart behavior and most athletes are doing the prudent thing while enjoying their off-season. Sometimes they don't just like sometimes we fail at doing the "right" thing. I imagine that athlete v. general student population criminality would tell that story. I realize that athletes sometimes get some slack from the community - its just a reality - but for the most part they're staying out of trouble at a rate much better than their student peers.

It could be better though. I think some of the rise in misconduct during the off-season is thanks to the NCAA regulations on coach contact and workout schedules. Idle hands are the devil's playground and a bit more off-season mandatory structure would likely keep the guys engaged and out of trouble. Coming from the perspective of a student who worked, went to school, and/or interned during every Summer in undergrad...I think it is a great thing for young men. They need a break but maybe not a whole Summer on their own time. Of course, fair pay unavailable to athletes to make it through a Summer workout structure would be needed in my opinion.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
As soon as you find the answer, let Coach Saban know how to totally eliminate this clutter.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I think you really nailed it. Everything mistake these guys make in public is going to show up on a Bleacher Report kind of site immediately. I know CNS hammers these guys to think before they act, but when you add in alcohol or weed you don't make good decisions. It's not going to stop but we sure don't need anymore summer surprises. RTR

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.